Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lucarelli

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2003
Montreal, Canada
2084824593_d27e2f9fa4.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/just10

rouxeny

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 22, 2008
Sorry about the delay folks. Had some work issues and also guests in town.

Some overall thoughts, I don't think some people really "got" what I was thinking of when I picked this topic. I appreciate all the submissions though.

I'll try to make some comments about them.

GT41 - Really like this pic and the perspective. I feel like I'm in a balloon floating over the city, or that I'm a bird flying by.

TJunkers - Interesting perspective. I wish I could see some more of the bottom of the building so it's a bit less abstract.

LittleCanonKid - Nice sharp exposure, was the praying mantis standing on a wall?

AlaskaMoose - Great shot. Nice expression on the dog and even though I think it's from about eye level, it's a nice shot down and everybody has seen their dog look like that from time to time.

TaylorWilsdon - Good stopping of action, I wish it had been a bit of a tighter crop.

deanjohnson7 - Interesting subject but I'm not sure how it is an "unusual perspective"

Chokladkakan - a little too abstract for me, I like to have at least one element in focus. See comment above also.

Indydenny - definitely captures the feeling. Made me think about a recent trip I had to Napa.

Dinostars - again, not sure about the "unusual perspective". Also, not sure it meets my "why" criteria...

euanmackie - great shot, great perspective. Go back and shoot it again when the briefcase in the right upper corner isn't there, that draws too much unwanted attention and I don't think you can crop it out.

scotthayes - nice perspective, I wish there was a little bit less empty space on the left and top.

carve - nice use of BW and DOF

hudsora - good perspective, I feel like I'm spying on a secret meeting from behind some trees.

bubbagates - not sure about the perspective again.

snouo79 - great shot! At first I didn't really like the person being there, but after a bit of looking, I realized that he makes the shot.

shady825 - good colors but kind of an unexciting foreground subject

AlexH - interesting DOF and kind of a mini-macro

Keebler - unusual perspective, but the harsh light hurts. Finger in the nose does help.

techie4life - I think you have a good idea for a framing shot. Maybe if there was something in the basket, a plane, a bird, a basketball.

dukeblue91 - nice capture, but I wish it was a bit more in focus

edge100 - not sure if this was done with TS or software, but nice. You definitely picked the right building to focus on.

somuchtosayx - nice idea. The sunglasses help. You might want to try it with a better background.

lu0s3r322 - good shot, instantly recognizable, but different

jbernie - this is a great example of how a TS lens might help

lucarelli - fun shot. The green background really pulled my attention, and I didn't even immediately realize the cat was wearing a sweater!

cliff3 - nice sunset, not sure your foreground element actually helps you

Mr. G4 - great color. great perspective.

GreenMnM - nice moonshot. Could be a bit sharper and not sure how it's an unusual perspective.

Chappers - nice idea, try reshooting when the fall colors are in, or at a better time of day

mrkgoo - definitely captures what you want it to.

Martin C - nice focus. Makes me feel like I'm about to jump

jodelli - I want to go to one of those races, but it must be hard to get shots without big glass. The plane is a bit small for my tastes.

JasO - nice colors, but the uneven horizon kills it for me.

SayCheese - good nighttime shot, but again, I'm not sure of the perspective.

The Codfather - definitely has the perspective, but could use a bit more contrast. How do you think that would be as a BW?

movieman76 - intersesting building, interesting shot.

wbe858 - don't like how the top of the building is cut off, pole on the right is a bit distracting also.

The winner, because I think it's the most interesting "unusual perspective," a good subject and good exposure is....GT41.

Other honorable mentions, AlaskaMoose, euanmackie, snouo79, lucarelli

Thanks!

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
Well done GT41 - I know enough people who would have been ill taking that shot.

Thanks rouxeny for the feed back - sadly I had little or no choice for the shot as it was at a flower show - time of day and season all very limited sadly, but fair comment from you.

GT41

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2007
Ontario, Canada
Well done GT41 - I know enough people who would have been ill taking that shot.

Thanks rouxeny for the feed back - sadly I had little or no choice for the shot as it was at a flower show - time of day and season all very limited sadly, but fair comment from you.

Thanks guy... actually it was a bit of leaning over the edge, but having feet on solid ground made it pretty comfortable.

I'll post a new topic later today.

:)

LittleCanonKid

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2008
Thanks for the comments on everyone's pictures, rouxeny. I like to read through them all and see if any comments could apply to me as well.

Also, as for my shot, the praying mantis was on a horizontal surface--our front door! :eek: I have quite a few shots of it but that one stood out because the lighting worked well.

euanmackie

macrumors member
Dec 26, 2007
cheers, yeah its really annoying being there, i've played around with crop, turning it portrait helps but destroys other bits, role on next week!

rouxeny

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 22, 2008
I really would go back and shoot that again. You have a great idea and I like the way everything lines up. The shot is a keeper, try it again and then put it on the wall.

You're also lucky because you basically have static conditions in a subway station. At least you're not shooting landscape and you put your finger in the frame during an awesome sunset.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.