Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
Luminosity -- outstanding image.

In fact, everyone's images are very worthy.

Phil -- outstanding job as judge. I really like when you judge. As a photojournalist, you bring an eye and set of questions that elude me. Every time you judge I see things in my own images I did not notice before. Thank you.

This forum has lagged for a while. I hope that the quality and number of images and the quality of the judging will kick start this forum back to where it was.

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
A big congrats to luminosity and kudos to pdxflint for an exemplary job of judging!

In response to your ponderings, pdxflint: a mountain lion got her when she came down to the river to drink. I came across her while hiking alone the morning after having suffered through the deaths of three other animals (a mother cat and her two live born kittens that my mom and I were trying to save by bottle feeding them). So happening upon the dead cow was particularly intense for me, yet it was such a beautiful, remote, and utterly peaceful location, and that ethereal light from above was beaming down towards her. I found myself in awe of this profound display of nature--something that is both beautiful and terrible all at once.

NeGRit0

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2008
Las Vegas, Nv
Kudos Luminosity. well done!

Thanks for the extensive judging pdxflint! I agree with the BnW thread, I would love to see more, and get help with my pp technique from some of the "pros" around here. :)

pukifloyd

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2008
Scottsdale
pukifloyd - this is an old-fashioned, high contrast black and white photo...That stylistic quality of this image works here... we don't need all the shadow details, this is a city... it's gritty, it's grainy, it's huge, it's stylish, it's iconic... and things are usually pretty clear, and not burdened with "shades of gray," so to speak. ;) This would be a cool, stylish big framed print...

Thanks for your comments. This was the last picture i could take from the Empire State Building as they closed the deck after it because of heavy rain and lightning. I was trying to protect the camera too :D

I worked on it with photoshop. I don't know much about using photoshop and this is the best I could manage because I was holidaying in London when I edited this photo and posted it. C&C from other users welcome too :)

Maxxamillian

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2004
Utah
Phil--great contest and (as usual) excellent observations!

Contrats to all of the finalists--such a strong and emotional set.

Looking forward to the next contest :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.