Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shady825

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2008
Area 51
Sanibel Island 2005
100% out of the camera. No post processing what so ever.
Cheap Casio EXLIM P&S

CIMG0317.jpg

RHVC59

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2008
Eugene, Oregon
The Beach in front of my house...

Ran across the street to my little rocky beach...

Attachments

• 20090628_Killer-whales_sm-0077.jpg
    20090628_Killer-whales_sm-0077.jpg
    978 KB · Views: 122

joro

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 11, 2009
Virginia
Results

There were a lot of great pictures this week; however, there can only be one winner! I’ve decided to rank out the Top 5 given the quality of submissions, starting with Fifth Place.

Fifth Place (NStocks)
I love the subject of this picture and I think you do an excellent job at framing the shot. The only problem I see with this picture is when I look at the full size image, there is a significant amount of blurriness, especially around the building itself. I attribute this mainly to the fact it was shot with a point and shoot as opposed to some setting being incorrect.

Fourth Place (…Ryan…)
I personally have shot similar photos under piers in different parts of the country and I’ve had a difficult time getting the right look for the shot mainly because of the crashing of waves. However, yours is perfect in the way its framed and also the calmness of the water add to its serenity. Personally, I would have liked to see this in B&W, perhaps a tonal enhancer filter, and I think this image would have much more of an impact.

Third Place (mattyb240)
I love how you got the silhouettes of the Father and Dad (I’m assuming) and also how they reflect against the water in the bottom of the picture. To make this picture better I would recommend cropping a substantial portion of the sky since it draws the eye away from the two figures. This is also another one I would love to see in B&W.

Second Place (Mr Ski 73)
I absolutely love this picture; however, the framing is off. The focus of the picture is obviously the very cute dog; however, the people in the background were too much of a distraction and really felt out of place. If this photo was cropped – to remove the people – this would have been a contender for First Place.

[DRUMROLL]

FIRST PLACE / WINNER (jrm27)
Out of all the submissions, this one stood out to me. I love how you took a non-traditional subject and put it in this beautiful place. The fact that the scenery – for the most part – is blurred out also adds some interest to this photo. On a side note, I have been to Tulum two times and it is a beautiful location to shoot. Please launch the next contest!

Once again congratulations to all those that posted, this was a great group of photos which made my job that much more difficult – which is a good thing!

joro

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 11, 2009
Virginia
Mr Ski 73, you might want to go ahead and post the new contest. I’ve tried to contact the winner but no avail!

mattyb240

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2008
thanks for the kind words and a worthy winner! I will definitely try the crop as I am thinking of getting it printed.

jrm27

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2008
Wow... Never thought I would win! I feel like a total schmuck that I did t check in... I've been overseas away from the Internet for about a week now, so I haven't been able to check the boards (this even is from my phone in Australia) thanks for the kudos! Thanks to mr ski for starting the new thread!! My apologies!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.