Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
Tradition says we give a judge 48 hours to come back.

apearlman is a regular to the weekly contest - but probably just busy.

apearlman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 8, 2007
Red Hook, NY
Contest results

Oops, indeed. Sorry everyone, I had a deadline last night and have been recuperating ("sleeping") today.

Ordinarily, this is where the judge says it was so difficult to choose a winner, because there were so many fantastic entries. But I have to be honest -- it's not hard to pick this week's winner, and in retrospect I think it's because I chose a lousy contest theme. I'm not really sure what I was looking for, but I can definitely see why so many entries were (let's face it) snapshots of vehicle mishaps. Cars, boats, motorcycles, even a video game.

I love vehicle mishaps as much as anyone -- remind me to tell you about the time my mattress took flight on the Pennsylvania turnpike -- but this is a PHOTOGRAPHY contest, not America's funniest snapshots. So my main criterion was whether an image prompted me to look at it longer than the moment of "wow, check out what happened!"

So the winner is Mickbab's elegant shot of the crashing surfer. There's a simplicity to this photo that I really like, with nothing extraneous in the frame. I'm not usually a fan of gimmicky/trendy effects (fake tilt-shift, selective color, and many HDRs), but in this case it is subtle and works nicely, without drawing attention away from the main subject.

I'll anoint jrotunda85 as our 2nd-place entry, because the black and white conversion is terrific and the image makes me laugh.

And third place goes to mcavjame, because I like the lighting and totally frivolous use of dinosaur toys. Unless those are real dinosaurs, in which case the shot is even more incredible because you probably used film.

And just because I like to share my own opinions, I'll also give NeGRit0 the award for best automotive carnage... 01jamcon should have taken off the sunglasses to get a funny facial expression... I like to imagine that dmb70's guitar was smashed Pete Townshend-style, in which case the smashing would have made an awesome picture... I like the effect liljohnny51 captured with the police lights, though the bright yellow rectangle is a distraction... SiR cOoKiE's golf club is really weird and cool... PeteB, good timing posting this picture immediately after Sir Cookie's "stiff shaft" comment. Oh, and CK Williams, I hope your insurance company believed you that this fire was "accidental." ;)

Anyway, thanks for playing everyone, and I'm sorry for the judging delay and that my poor choice of theme didn't allow for many people to post their finest photographic artwork.

Over to you, Mickbab!

mickbab

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2008
Sydney, Australia
Oops, indeed. Sorry everyone, I had a deadline last night and have been recuperating ("sleeping") today.

Ordinarily, this is where the judge says it was so difficult to choose a winner, because there were so many fantastic entries. But I have to be honest -- it's not hard to pick this week's winner, and in retrospect I think it's because I chose a lousy contest theme. I'm not really sure what I was looking for, but I can definitely see why so many entries were (let's face it) snapshots of vehicle mishaps. Cars, boats, motorcycles, even a video game.

I love vehicle mishaps as much as anyone -- remind me to tell you about the time my mattress took flight on the Pennsylvania turnpike -- but this is a PHOTOGRAPHY contest, not America's funniest snapshots. So my main criterion was whether an image prompted me to look at it longer than the moment of "wow, check out what happened!"

So the winner is Mickbab's elegant shot of the crashing surfer. There's a simplicity to this photo that I really like, with nothing extraneous in the frame. I'm not usually a fan of gimmicky/trendy effects (fake tilt-shift, selective color, and many HDRs), but in this case it is subtle and works nicely, without drawing attention away from the main subject.

I'll anoint jrotunda85 as our 2nd-place entry, because the black and white conversion is terrific and the image makes me laugh.

And third place goes to mcavjame, because I like the lighting and totally frivolous use of dinosaur toys. Unless those are real dinosaurs, in which case the shot is even more incredible because you probably used film.

And just because I like to share my own opinions, I'll also give NeGRit0 the award for best automotive carnage... 01jamcon should have taken off the sunglasses to get a funny facial expression... I like to imagine that dmb70's guitar was smashed Pete Townshend-style, in which case the smashing would have made an awesome picture... I like the effect liljohnny51 captured with the police lights, though the bright yellow rectangle is a distraction... SiR cOoKiE's golf club is really weird and cool... PeteB, good timing posting this picture immediately after Sir Cookie's "stiff shaft" comment. Oh, and CK Williams, I hope your insurance company believed you that this fire was "accidental." ;)

Anyway, thanks for playing everyone, and I'm sorry for the judging delay and that my poor choice of theme didn't allow for many people to post their finest photographic artwork.

Over to you, Mickbab!

Thanks apearlman!!! Will post a new contest tonight when I get home from work.

Congrats to runners up and all who entered the contest.

CK Williams

macrumors 6502a
Dec 27, 2008
Las Vegas
Thanks for the comment apearlman. Fortunately it wasn't my car. Just part of working for a FD. Definitely a tough category to work with and some outstanding entries. Nicely judged. Congratulations mickbab. That is a great shot. Looking forward to next week.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.