Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mtbdudex

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 28, 2007
SE Michigan
Rules:

1. You may enter only one photo.

2. Please do not comment on photos until after the judging has taken place.

3. The contest runs for exactly one week, starting NOW! (see time stamp)

4. At the end of the week, The Judge (last weeks winner) will choose a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place photo, providing as much feedback as possible. (Judge has 24 hours to make decision)

5. The 1st place Winner will start a new thread with the topic/theme of their choice, and act as the Judge for that contest.
(Winner has 48 hours to create new theme)

This week's theme: Awaken

This topic is broad and allows for creativity.
Thought starters: Transformation, change of position or action, or what imparts onto you emotional or cognitive impact.
Have fun with it, I'm looking forward to seeing your creative interpretations of the topic.

I'll be keeping tabs on this thread all week, and will have a winner "late" Wednesday 3/24 evening.

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
Love awakened

I recently shot this while visiting a nursing home. I thought this was a couple that had been together forever. I learned later that they had recently met in the nursing home and reawakened a sense of romantic love in one another.

Attachments

• Hands-1000.jpg
    Hands-1000.jpg
    817.7 KB · Views: 155

NeGRit0

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2008
Las Vegas, Nv
Awaken little guy, Spring is coming...

Clickable...

EXIF Info:
Camera: Canon EOS Digital Rebel XTi
Exposure: 0.008 sec (1/125)
Aperture: f/8.0
Focal Length: 40 mm
ISO Speed: 400

oblomow

macrumors 601
Apr 14, 2005
Netherlands
'Seeing the light' in a museum about the blind and the experience of sight, playing blindfolded dominoes.
( first real outing with my new flash)

muzieum0012.jpg

Ish

macrumors 68020
Nov 30, 2004
UK
Spring's a month late this year but, finally:

img0202pb.jpg

Canon 450D
18-55 IS lens
1/125 @ 5.6
ISO 200

mtbdudex

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 28, 2007
SE Michigan
Thx for everyone's submission, the contest is now closed.

I'll have comments and 3rd/2nd/1st place up by tomorrow Thur 3/25 10am EDT.

mtbdudex

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 28, 2007
SE Michigan
I'm sorry gang, at work they "shut down" picture/video/music hosting sites (too much excess bandwidth being used per IT dept), so I can not view any picts anymore at work :(, and last night had a family function at elementary school, and then my parents over for my dad's 75th B-day, so I'm up early @ home judging.

I was kinda hoping to tie into Spring with out calling the theme Spring, so I choose Awaken as more artistic viewpoint.

deep diver; great shot, spot on composition and DOF. One can sense the timeless desire to love and be loved with this shot.

Chappers; I love the colors here and how the tree is coming alive, it's signaling the coming of a new dawn. The path draws my eye into picture, wondering whats beyond.

macrumormonger; This shot works and shows where "breaking the rules of 1/3" is appropriate. I found myself after looking here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nataraja pondering on the role of the 2 background figures in the Dance of Bliss. Picture wise, I'd like to see the streak along top removed in PP, just a slight distraction to a nice shot.

NeGRit0; I like this, simple and effective. The brightness of the light I'd like to see slightly dialed down in PP would be my only comment.

oblomow; This shot definitely fits into "Awaken", and also lends one to appreciate others situations. I think a crop of this shot may get rid of some of the clutter and re-focus the attention better.

bunyfofu69; I like this shot, really. Capturing ones spiritual awakening in a group setting is difficult, yet you did this with DOF. Looking here I can feel emotion .

damov2; Great shot, spot on clarity, captivating. Flower shots with insects are one of my favorite.

nomad01; Wake up cat! Wait, cats do things on their own time.
(I had cats for 7 years in the 90's before my allergies made that impossible)

Ish; This shot shows the very beginnings of spring, as the flower petals slowly peel back day by day. Very nice.

JDDavis; I like this shot, the bright sun works here, clearly showing the dawn of a new day, the mist and birds.

iSax1234; This shots got me... "the chains of whats been holding me back have been thrown down, and I'm now free". I wrote that before going to your flickr site.

and now for the results...

3rd place: iSax1234

2nd place: deep diver

1st place and the winner is: bunyfofu69. I kept going back to this shot again and again. I captures awakening, congratulations.
Your turn for the weekly photo contest.

I'd like to again thank everyone for submission.

Ish

macrumors 68020
Nov 30, 2004
UK
Nice job mtbdudex! It must be 6:40 am for you, your dedication is appreciated! :)

Well done bunyfofu69!

Chappers: Are you privvy to inside information or just psychic!

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
A great collection of images.

mtbdudex - great job judging. I really appreciate that you looked for the theme in each shot rather than having a preconceived idea about what you were looking for.

bunyfofu69 - This is a truly outstanding image. Where was this and what was the gathering about?

Looking forward to the next one.

oblomow

macrumors 601
Apr 14, 2005
Netherlands
Thanks mtbdudex for your judgement and dedication. I think you picked the right winner. Congratulations bunyfofu69.

mtbdudex

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 28, 2007
SE Michigan
I tell you, by judging I also learn.
Fun stuff, keeps the brain going.
Looking fwd to more good shots in the next contest!

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
A great collection of images.

mtbdudex - great job judging. I really appreciate that you looked for the theme in each shot rather than having a preconceived idea about what you were looking for.

bunyfofu69 - This is a truly outstanding image. Where was this and what was the gathering about?

Looking forward to the next one.

I agree - its nice to see a refreshing change.

Well done bunyfofu69 - your first entry on the weekly contest here and a win.

Thanks mtbdudex for the judging

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.