Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mickbab

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2008
Sydney, Australia
Thanks for your comments.

I too am a little confused by the result here. You seem to dislike it then announce it the winner? Anyway.

Thanks again, and congrats to our winner!

Indydenny

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2002
Midwest
Thanks

I too, want to say thanks for the comments and the feedback each week. As someone who is newer to photography it is SO helpful to me to hear why a particular photo is chosen and what could make each one better.

I appreciate the comments from the various board members and always go back and look at the photos that are chosen and the ones that others like or would have chosen.

The different topics each week for the contests make me look through my album in a whole new way to see which ones might qualify. This is a lot of fun and very helpful.

Thanks everyone.

One question: why are some photos larger while others are thumbnail? Is it better to copy and paste an image in a post?

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
One question: why are some photos larger while others are thumbnail? Is it better to copy and paste an image in a post?

Its because you can add an image from your computer using the little paper clip "attachments" button which is what you did (and me) or the others have their photos online with someone like Flickr and are uploading from an http address. You do that by having full WYSIWYG options enabled. Go into your "user CP" and into "edit options" on the left hand side. Scroll down to the bottom of the page and enable the full WYSIWYG option.

When you want to reply after that you will see you reply to thread box now has new buttons added. The little yellow on with a sort of mountain on it is the one you need to "insert image".
You will need your photos on a photo sharing site like Flickr and by clicking on an image there it will give a different http address for each size. You then have to click on the yellow button and paste in the address (starts with http and finishes jpg)

Click "Submit Reply" in the usual way and your picture will appear as if by magic.

Hope that rather complicated answer helps

Attachments

• Reply.jpg
    Reply.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 91

Maxxamillian

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 16, 2004
Utah
Correction

Congrats to NeGRit0!

Maxxamillian: perhaps you could give some indication of why you chose that photo as the winner? You imply that it's because its address to the theme needs no explanation, but usually the judge makes his reasoning explicit for the winner. (I didn't participate in the contest this week, but I always enjoy hearing about the criteria that each judge brings to his decision.)

I would like to express my appreciation for the photo by jmdfd415. I got a strong sense of "opposites" from that one: a bustling, crowded, overbuilt city versus solitude in an oasis of nature. It's also technically very successful. I love the framing and the way the light is beaming on the subject like a spotlight.

Again, congrats to the winner! I enjoyed watching the contest this week. Lots of great ideas.

Profuse apologies! I mixed NeGRit0 and Razeus up (I had just finished my comments on NeGRit0's picture.) Razeus is the first place winner. I have corrected the original post and will send private messages to both.

I really feel bad about the mixup...Razeus--you've had some of your thunder taken away from you and while completely unprofessional, in was an honest mixup.

A new thread has yet to be started. I'm a bit worried about potential mixups that might result from this....:(

jmdfd415

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2008
Wow thanks for the kind words about my photo. I actually got really lucky with this shot I was walking around alamo square in san francisco and as I was leaving and putting my camera away I just happened to look over and see this and I just knew I had to take a picture of it. What I felt from it was exactly what Phrasikleia said. Anways thanks for all the comments guys I love getting feedback from everyone here. Now I cant wait to see what the next contest will be.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
Wow, cool I won. I'm just getting into photography. That pic was taken on the fly with a Canon A590, auto mode. I was in the passenger seat of a car and got the shot off at a 4 way stop. I had to crop it, the convert to B&W and added some grain in PE6 for Mac. I usually use my Canon SX10 IS, in the market for an XSi or T1i. But I digress...

Thanks for the comments. That's really motivational for me.

New thread posted. I'm new, so hopefully I did it right.

mariahlullaby

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2005
NYC
Thanks for the great comments! I am really loving these threads -- the themes make finding and taking the photos fun. And it is really helpful to get some constructive feedback, so thank you to everyone, especially Maxxamillian.

Congratulations, Razeus! Your photo is really powerful -- great shot.

Joe King

macrumors 6502
Mar 22, 2009
Dublin, Ireland
Joe King: You've managed to get some complimentary colors to dance well with each other in this picture (yellow / purple and orange / blue). Nicely done! My eyes keep going to the "floor" wondering if it really is that polished, if its water, or if you cleverly flipped the picture in post processing. There is a line about 2/3 the way up the floor where some interesting things are happening. Look to the columns on the left and you will see that they do not match up like they should on a reflection. The same goes with the statue, white-clothed table, wooden banister at that table, and most telling of all...clipping on both sides of the picture...the people are not reflected as the should be and the table clips into the wall on the other side. And finally, it would be very difficult for a floor to reflect in this manner--unless it was water or a mirror or something like that. So if I were a betting man, I'd say you flipped the image in post processing. Doing this can present some amazing effects...even mimicking water that is not really there. But it has to be done right. I would have focused my shot on the far back wall and a few of the nearby pillars and cropped the rest.
Maxxamillian, thanks for the constructive feedback. Had you taken the bet you would have lost, I'm afraid. No post production whatsoever was used in the creation of my picture.The photograph was taken inside the Church of the Jacobins in Toulouse, France, where Saint Thomas Aquinas is buried. One of the pillars is surrounded by a circular mirror, about waist height, which enables visitors to admire the ornate ceiling of the church without straining their necks. I happened to notice that the mirror, when viewed from a certain angle, produced the interesting reflective illusion you can see in the picture. Unfortunately the mirror is not one piece but in three sections and it is the break in one of these sections that creates the line you can see and spoils the trick somewhat. Still, I'm delighted to have baffled someone with it.:D I was a bit miffed when I got home and found that in concentrating so hard on lining up the reflection that I blew out the stained glass window but it still makes for an interesting image.

Maxxamillian

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 16, 2004
Utah
Maxxamillian, thanks for the constructive feedback. Had you taken the bet you would have lost, I'm afraid. No post production whatsoever was used in the creation of my picture.The photograph was taken inside the Church of the Jacobins in Toulouse, France, where Saint Thomas Aquinas is buried. One of the pillars is surrounded by a circular mirror, about waist height, which enables visitors to admire the ornate ceiling of the church without straining their necks. I happened to notice that the mirror, when viewed from a certain angle, produced the interesting reflective illusion you can see in the picture. Unfortunately the mirror is not one piece but in three sections and it is the break in one of these sections that creates the line you can see and spoils the trick somewhat. Still, I'm delighted to have baffled someone with it.:D I was a bit miffed when I got home and found that in concentrating so hard on lining up the reflection that I blew out the stained glass window but it still makes for an interesting image.

This made me laugh! Well done then....simply well done!

techie4life

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2007
Georgia
techie4life: Your photo was one of the few that was able to state the theme without any additional explanation on your part. Well done...as you will see this is more difficult than it would first seem. I enjoy how you've split the picture between the grass and the sky on top of the nature / cityscape theme. Both are opposites in their own right. Very clever.

3rd Place: techie4life--multiple interpretations of a single theme in one photo. Nice indeed!

Edit: Phrasikleia's post reminded me! jmdfd415's photo is also one that I really liked this week. His, Razeus's and techie4life's shots were pictures that I thought were very good. Great work, guys, and to everyone else who entered for a great week :)

Thanks Maxamillian for judging this week's contest and giving me such great commentary! I didn't really set this photo up other than taking a few test shots here and there, nothing major. Thanks for the third place!

LittleCanonKid - Thank you for the vote of confidence!

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
Razeus - Your image is truly outstanding. It is very powerful social and political commentary. Sometimes we find the image and sometimes the image finds us. Very well done.

Indydenny - I love this image. I learned to play backgammon in 1972 while on my first trip to Israel. I learned from two old Arab men in East Jerusalem. The man on the left in your picture looks like one of them. You triggered a wonderful memory. Thank you. Also, where in Indiana? I recently left Michigan City.

Indydenny

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2002
Midwest
Chappers: Thanks for the instructions. I think I understand and I'm going to give it a try.

Deep Diver: Thanks for the thoughts. The guy on the left is "counting the rosary" which I thought was odd in downtown Jerusalem with an orthodox Jew and an Arab at the table. I still haven't learned to play Backgammon. (We are in Fort Wayne)

Razeus: Congratulations. I too like your picture.

One question: I didn't understand the theme of "opposites" in your picture. (Its probably obvious and I'll feel silly.) Nevertheless, great shot!

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
rosary

Indydenny - those beads look more like worry beads to me than like rosary beads. I may be wrong, but I have seen more worry beads on the streets of Jerusalem that rosary beads. I used to live in Jerusalem, but you shot is too tight to even begin to guess where that is. Where in Jerusalem to you take this?

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
Thanks again for the comments guys (and gals). Very motivational for me as I'm new to this. I've always taken pictures, just never done photography. Until this year at least.

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home

Well you had me confused too - good shot

PS. Nice shot salvatore (although I would have cropped it slightly) Trouble is the competition has finished for this week - see new competition. https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/679516/

Indydenny

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2002
Midwest
Indydenny - those beads look more like worry beads to me than like rosary beads. I may be wrong, but I have seen more worry beads on the streets of Jerusalem that rosary beads. I used to live in Jerusalem, but you shot is too tight to even begin to guess where that is. Where in Jerusalem to you take this?

hummmm! You may be right! When I was there there appeared to be a cross on the end of the beads but when I look at the picture (before cropping) I don't see it. The shot was taken in Machaneh Yehuda (the Shuk) just a few weeks ago.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.