Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mickbab

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 13, 2008
Sydney, Australia
Weekly Photo Contest (May 13 - 20)

Rules:

1. You may submit only one photo per contest.

2. The contest runs for exactly one week, from the time stamp on the first post in the thread (this will be made by the winner of the previous week's contest).

3. Please refrain from commenting on the photos submitted in the contest. A good photograph is one that can appeal to someone who may not know much about the technical aspects of photography, so it would be best if the judge isn't swayed by someone else's opinion of the photograph.

4. The judge will decide his/her favorite at the end of the week, place a post listing it, and include a short synopsis of why he/she chose that photo. The winner is then responsible for choosing a new topic and starting a new contest thread, which again will run for exactly one week.

This week's theme is: Illusion

A list of previous contests and their winners can be found here.

Good Luck to all!

doubleohseven

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2008
Sydney, Australia
'Midnight Traffic'

3164656443_36c7057d9f_b.jpg

Freewayjim

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2008
Metro Atlanta
This was an early, rainy morning in downtown Dallas, TX. My son had commented that the clouds gave the illusion that some of the buildings were on fire and smoking (most notably the one on the right).

3528475189_4f36d37335.jpg

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
When is a cedar frond not a cedar frond??????

attachment.php

The "fronds" in this image are not leaves. They are mineral crystals that naturally grew this way as this specimen of agate formed.
(Other than cropping the original image, I did no post-processing so that the natural colors would show).

Attachments

• Moss agate - cedar 900 - up +40.jpg
    Moss agate - cedar 900 - up +40.jpg
    658.8 KB · Views: 689

JDDavis

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2009
Reflection in a church.

Attachments

• reflection014.jpg
    reflection014.jpg
    935.3 KB · Views: 231

mickbab

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 13, 2008
Sydney, Australia
Just letting everyone know that the contest will end in approximately 1 day.
Australian EST 5:12pm 20/5/2009 is the official time. I will post as close as possible to that time.

Thanks to all the entrants so far!

mickbab

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 13, 2008
Sydney, Australia
Okay here goes. I don't feel quite up to judging everyone so will just give some quick comments on my favourites (all in my amateur opinion). In order of appearance:

biggiej42's 'Doc': although I don't see the illusion here, I love this picture. very intriguing and the black and white gives it a very unique creative appearance.

epyfa's 'broken?' light bulb: simple yet effective. The sepia (I assume it's sepia) adds to the effect of the image and seems to reassure the light's status as 'broken' and old. a very creative image.

hector's 'Electricity': another creative picture. I really have no idea how you did this but it looks cool!

AxisOfBeagles's Hotel du Pantheon: yet another effective image - simple at first glance but quite interesting on inspection (perhaps the other way around?).

JDDavis's 'Reflection in a church': This is what I was imagining when I set this theme. Reflections, having to look twice, image upon image. Very well done on this one.

And now your winners!

3rd place - biggiej42 for his/her fascinating picture of his 'old buddy'. You have done very well this picture in my opinion. The dark areas covering most of the picture make this very interesting to me.

2nd place - epyfa for his/her confusing yet great light bulb image. As said above the little colour here if very effective but i think whatever colour it was in would look interesting. Again, very creative.

And finally, 1st place goes to.... JDDavis!. The contest goes back to you JD. As I said before, when I decided on the theme Illusions, this was exactly the kind of picture I had in mind. You captured the theme perfectly and so you get to set another contest. Congratulations!

Again well done to all entrants this week, and sorry about the limited evaluation, I'm not an expert. Looking forward to the next contest!

AxisOfBeagles

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2008
Top of the South
Thanks for hosting this week, mick. Congratulations to the 'winners' and to everyone.

It seemed to me that there were fewer entries this week - although I thought this was a great theme.

runlsd - loved the reflection in the ring photo. great lighting, DOF, and focus. I particularly like that the word 'shadow' was just visible - seemed consistent with the theme of the photo. well done.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.