Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

biggiej42

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2009
I thought ol Doc popping out of the darkness was an illusion! Anyway, great pictures everyone, you all did a teriffic job, i especially liked your picture runlsd!

runlsd

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2009
nice job everyone! and thanks for the compliment from a couple of you. that photo was shot when i borrowed a macro lens from a friend. photography is so expensive for a college student. :p hope to see your pictures in next/this week's contest!

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
Congrats to the winners.

doubleohseven - Your picture is just outstanding. I think it is a very well conceived and executed interpretation of the theme. The lights tell us there are cars, but then where are they? Very well done.

pdxflint - Another great image from you. You certainly convey the feeling of "a long way down." That illusion is all the more powerful when looking through the bomb bay doors. Where was this taken?

Indydenny - Another great photo from you as well. I love the ghostly image and sepia tone. I feel like I am looking through some sort of portal into a past time.

This is what I was imagining when I set this theme. Reflections, having to look twice, image upon image. . . . . . As I said before, when I decided on the theme Illusions, this was exactly the kind of picture I had in mind.

Judging is not easy and I intend no offense - we each have to judge through our own eyes and aesthetic sense. I was disappointed, however, to see this comment. The richness of this sharing of our art comes when we each are free to offer our own interpretation of the theme, and then have that interpretation judged on a level field with the others. As a judge, I believed I had to respond and process the interpretations that were offered rather than expect the submissions to conform to my own prior interpretation. Perhaps it is just a matter of style. I would like to hear other opinions about this.

NeGRit0

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2008
Las Vegas, Nv
Judging is not easy and I intend no offense - we each have to judge through our own eyes and aesthetic sense. I was disappointed, however, to see this comment. The richness of this sharing of our art comes when we each are free to offer our own interpretation of the theme, and then have that interpretation judged on a level field with the others. As a judge, I believed I had to respond and process the interpretations that were offered rather than expect the submissions to conform to my own prior interpretation. Perhaps it is just a matter of style. I would like to hear other opinions about this.

I think its just a forum, and if thats how he saw fit to judge then so be it. It's his choice, he 'won' last week. Let him enjoy his 'trophy'...

jake.f

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2008
NSW, Australia
I think that someone else should have been the winner not someone who won a couple of weeks ago. My pick would be the one at the Hotel in Paris of the staircase because put simply it is an illusion.

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
pdxflint - Another great image from you. You certainly convey the feeling of "a long way down." That illusion is all the more powerful when looking through the bomb bay doors. Where was this taken?

Thanks. It was taken at the Evergreen Aviation and Space Museum in McMinnville, Oregon. I was inside the B-17 Flying Fortress WWII bomber which was, of course, parked inside the massive hangar. BTW, the museum also has Howard Hughes' Spruce Goose on display - well worth a visit if you're ever in the area about 40 miles west of Portland.

Thanks mickbab for an interesting topic, and worthy winner. Congrats to the winner, JDDavis. There were some nice entries this week. I'm looking forward to the next topic.

As to the judging... there really aren't any losers, as it's a chance for everyone to learn more about photography by having to think about, and then say why they like certain images by going through the judging process. Since there aren't many rules, and no prizes, I actually like being surprised each week by the new subjects, the entries and the judging, whether I agree with it or not. In the spirit of keeping it fun and educational, my position is to just let each week's judge be the sole critic. It's intended to be one person's opinion, nothing more than that. :)

JDDavis

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2009
Thanks mickbab. I appreciate the comments. I also appreciate everyones opinion following this weeks selection. There were some great pics as usual. In the spirit of this "contest" I think I'll just start the next one and we'll press forward. The one negative about getting chosen is that you don't get to participate in the next weeks entries. Well, I'm looking toward to next week and the difficult task of judging these things.

AxisOfBeagles

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2008
Top of the South
mickbab, you did a great job. I think that deepdiver's comments should be taken as "his point of view", and as such are helpful and instructive to all of us.

As for the comment about "not picking someone who won a few weeks ago" - well, that begs yet another rule, and I suggest that we already have enough of those. Onward to the new contest!

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
mickbab - I meant no offense. It is not a question of whether I am "unhappy" with your judging. Judging is hard and I respect the efforts of all the judges. (Also, I do not think I submitted the winning photo). Your comment caught my attention and I put out an idea (my point of view only) for discussion. Again, no offense was meant and I am sorry if I did offend you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.