Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AxisOfBeagles

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2008
Top of the South
The winner is VirtualRain :)I was pretty disappointed with the entries, but that's probably because at least 90% of what I do is candid in some form, and it's what I'm good at.

One of the values of these weekly contests has been the constructive feedback of the 'judge'. I this case, you are saying "I'm great at candids, and these all suck". Without the constructive criticism this does come across as rather patronizing. Nevertheless, it's yours to judge as you will.

Congrats VR - lovely photo.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
Thumbs down to the op, this weeks subject, and his critiscm.
I've never seen such bias, ego and outright rudeness in these competitions.

panoz7

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2005
Raleigh, NC
Not by my standards, I'm afraid. They were candid, yes, but not particularly good. Again, I shouldn't have chosen something that I'm so close to.

Would you mind critiquing them (or at least mine) then? I'm all for criticism as long as it's mixed with some suggestions on how to improve. Just saying they're bad doesn't really help anybody and just builds animosity.

I never come back to these threads expecting to have won, so I'm not disapointed in the judging for that reason, only because I usually look forward to the comments, both on my photo and on the other entries.

luminosity

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 10, 2006
Arizona
Would you mind critiquing them (or at least mine) then? I'm all for criticism as long as it's mixed with some suggestions on how to improve. Just saying they're bad doesn't really help anybody and just builds animosity. I never come back to these thread expecting to have won but I usually look forward to the comments, both on my photo and on the other entries.

Yours was actually interesting to me, with a major drawback being how unfocused it is. I don't mean the autofocus, but focus in what the subject is. It's a bit chaotic. I'm not sure if that's what you were going for. The colors are very interesting, however :).

I understand the criticism of my comments. I guess I wouldn't even know where to begin in critiquing individual photos beyond what I've done just now. I'm not all that great at explaining things. Some are, and I'm not one of those folks, unfortunately. I mostly just shoot.

I've unquestionably been rude and tacky, and no doubt arrogant. But my judgment stands as surely now as it did when I watched them get posted. I honestly was afraid I'd have to give the judging to someone else, citing some reason or another. I should have chosen something else, perhaps landscape, which is something I'm lousy at and am no better at than the nearest point and shooter.

Most of these photos are pretty forgettable to me, for better or worse. Looking over them again, I realize more than ever that I'm biased toward candid portraits, and many of these images were wider in nature than most portraits.

Maybe part of the problem for me is that I've seen many of these images before, only they were done better (like the nice dog picture, which unfortunately is hugely overshadowed in my mind by R. Francois's photos over at FM.com).

panoz7

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2005
Raleigh, NC
Yours was actually interesting to me, with a major drawback being how unfocused it is. I don't mean the autofocus, but focus in what the subject is. It's a bit chaotic. I'm not sure if that's what you were going for. The colors are very interesting, however :).

Thanks. I appreciate the critique. That was a documentary shot of an installation at the gallery I run and was never meant to tell any real story other than accurately documenting what the installlation looked like and how people interacted with it. The colors and chatoic nature of the installation defined it so I'm glad those came accross in the photo. I'm guessing that what makes candid shots good is their ability to tell a story, and that was probably lacking in my shot.

luminosity

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 10, 2006
Arizona
I wouldn't say that it was lacking. I think in your case, it would fit best in a series of photos, where the information would be implicit throughout and then you could focus just on the photo itself. People are spaced well in your photo, and what appear to be TV sets are also interestingly placed.

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2006
I agree with some of the other posters that we need to get back to the old system where critique is given to every picture however good!

Although I did get a mention I would have felt super annoyed, as I suppose others are, if I hadn't.

Even one honest line per picture is better than nothing.

luminosity

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 10, 2006
Arizona
Just out of curiousity, could you post one of your own images that "better" convey the theme?? :rolleyes:

Only because someone asked.

3782304876_09b0a45bfb_b.jpg

4475765864_c20b097a29_b.jpg

How's that?

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
I don't know....... I see a lot of candid images here. They may not all resonate with me but as a group they are good. Several have kept me engaged for a few days. (I can't really tell if the images from acearchie, Razeus, and gaswerks are candid or posed but they all have merit that should be recognized.)

About a year ago I questioned a judge's approaching the task with preconceived ideas about what he was looking for. The feedback to me was to "allow the judge this moment of glory." While I agree with the responses to luminosity I also offer the same advice I got.

VirtualRain -- nicely done. I'm looking forward to the new topic.

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
One of the values of these weekly contests has been the constructive feedback of the 'judge'. I this case, you are saying "I'm great at candids, and these all suck". Without the constructive criticism this does come across as rather patronizing. Nevertheless, it's yours to judge as you will.

Congrats VR - lovely photo.

Thumbs down to the op, this weeks subject, and his critiscm.
I've never seen such bias, ego and outright rudeness in these competitions.

You folks apparently missed the contest "Waiting". The judge for that week critiqued all entries. He commented on how each one didn't address his chosen topic. Ticked me off and a lot of others more respectable than me. If that's possible...

Let it go and move on. Entering the Weekly Contest puts you at the mercy of the judge.

Dale

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.