Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Apr 10, 2007
Thanks, I thought the young girl in the short dress on the phone with the baby carriage next to her made for a potentially interesting story, oh well.

Kudos to everyone, nice work!

The picture is so small i never even noticed the girl :p

PeteB

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 14, 2008
The picture is so small i never even noticed the girl :p

My thoughts exactly. Anything under 800px is pretty hard to judge because fine detail gets lost easily.

I usually prefer to see images of about 1024px on the longest side, larger images can be thumbnailed with

PeteB

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 14, 2008
Money you could be saving by public transit, not geico. Doesn't transcend to everyone I guess. some get it.

I see it now, but I didn't before. My apologies.

Wow, I am really surprised. Really! My entry was nothing more than a grabbed shot, and I got lucky with the moment and some nice expressions. Technique-wise, there isn't much to this photo. I posted it mostly because it makes me smile, and I didn't have much else that fit the contest theme!

It's the subjects that brought this photo to life. It's obvious there's a close and warm connection between these gals. Just proves that you don't have to go overboard on the theory of photography in order to capture a camptivating and thought provoking image.

I know the contest has only one judge, but I can't help myself from sharing opinions about some other shots that I really, really liked.

CK Williams, I can't stop looking at your firefighter image. You captured a whole story in the one person's body language. The variety of lighting -- including a glint of sunlight through the trees -- is super.

MacRy, I'll admit my first reaction was that you got lucky capturing the flying bee. But then I absorbed those amazing colors and the perfect balance and composition, and I have to give proper credit. This shot took WORK, and it shows us something we don't ordinarily see.

SLC Flyfishing, your shot of the person ascending a mountain is wonderfully imagined and the exposure is great. You got terrific detail in both the grassy foreground and the sky, hard to do.

WebMongol, I admire how you took an ordinary situation and made a special photo. The girls' expressions (especially the one on the left) combined with your choice of perspective made this stand out for me.

Martin C, I think you've posted this before, and I continue to find it a very powerful image. There's a strong sense of secretly observing, which you heighten with the blur and the B&W. I also think this shot has impact because you resisted the urge to zoom in on the action (which is what I would have been tempted to do). All that empty space is definitely adding something here.

Anyway, I know no one asked my opinions, but I was really moved by these entries and wanted the photographers to know their work resonates.

-Andrew

You see things that I don't. And hence my apology for in some cases missing things... I still stand by my top three though... :p

CK Williams

macrumors 6502a
Dec 27, 2008
Las Vegas
Thanks for the comment Andrew.

In seeing the quality of all the images I don't envy the task of the judge. Definitely tough to pick out one, but I agree with Pete on his choice. Grabbed shots usually have the added power of the moment and these three ladies show great expression. I find it impossible not to smile when looking at it as well.

Looking forward to next weeks challenge. Keep up the fine work all, CK

MacRy

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2004
England
MacRy[/B], I'll admit my first reaction was that you got lucky capturing the flying bee. But then I absorbed those amazing colors and the perfect balance and composition, and I have to give proper credit. This shot took WORK, and it shows us something we don't ordinarily see.

-Andrew

Thanks Andrew. You have no idea how long I sat there waiting for a bee to come into the shot :) I did get a couple of other shots with the bee in focus in flight as well as the flower but for some reason I liked the emphasis on the flower more. Thanks for your comments. Encouraging for my first entry.

Congrats to the winners and everyone else too. Some really great photos.

JDDavis

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2009
Thanks PeteB and great job judging. I agree that it would be better if all tombstones were in focus. That's what I was trying to do but I couldn't pull it off. I wanted all three readable since they were all very young children from the same family. I thought it told a pretty sad story.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.