Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JDDavis

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 16, 2009
Weekly Photo Contest (May 6 - 13) - Geometry

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This week's challenge - Geometry

Please interpret this broadly. Shapes, geometric patterns in nature or man-made, geometry in photography (the golden ratio, fibonacci spiral), academics, etc....

Just a note...I don't plan on judging the "geometry" of the photograph (like testing if it truly employs a fibonacci spiral) but will judge the photo on the merits of the shot holistically as it represents an interpretation of the subject.

previous contests here:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/580184/

Rules:

1. You may enter only one photo.

2. Please do not comment on photos until after the judging has taken place.

3. The contest runs for exactly one week, starting NOW! (see time stamp)

4. At the end of the week, The Judge (last weeks winner) will choose a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place photo, providing as much feedback as possible. (Judge has 24 hours to make decision)

5. The 1st place Winner will start a new thread with the topic/theme of their choice, and act as the Judge for that contest.
(Winner has 48 hours to create new theme)

6. Please consider your ability to accept the responsibilities of winning before entering the contest. (i.e.: Judging and choosing the next topic in a timely fashion.)

AScottMcCauley

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2009
Snow Fence

For those of you not from the midwest, this is a shot from the inside of one of the snow fences that line the highways, keeping them clear of snow drifts.

CK Williams

macrumors 6502a
Dec 27, 2008
Las Vegas
Octagon skylight (clickable for larger version)

Attachments

• _7004773.jpg
    _7004773.jpg
    271.6 KB · Views: 204

Ruahrc

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
The term geometric patterns in nature made me think of this photo:

Seattle_Parks_7.jpg

Ruahrc

NeGRit0

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2008
Las Vegas, Nv
In SFO...

Click for large....

Exif Info:
Camera: Canon EOS Digital Rebel XTi
Exposure: 0.033 sec (1/30)
Aperture: f/4.0
Focal Length: 32 mm
ISO Speed: 100
Exposure Bias: 0 EV

Azazul

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2009
"So what do you think will change first?....Are you really sure about that?"

What_will_change_first__by_DireWish.jpg

JDDavis

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 16, 2009
The contest ends today! The time stamp is 09:11 but we'll keep it open until this evening. For some reason I can't see certain images at work (like SLC's and tekmoe's). It's may be that where they are linked from is blocked. Regardless, there's time to get more submissions in. I'll get the judging done this evening when I get home. :)

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
Mine. A hanger in Gray's Harbor, Washington.

ghhanger.jpg

JD: Both the photos you can't see are PhotoBucket hosted. I've heard they have issues sometimes.

Dale

JDDavis

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 16, 2009
O.K. Hack..the contest is closed. The judging has commenced.:)

JDDavis

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 16, 2009
Here we go. All the submissions are great and as usual this is tough to call. I thought that geometry might get a larger number of entries but in a way I'm glad that there aren't too many because judging is tough. So without further ado I'll offer a few comments. Please remember it's just my opinion and not the opinion of a pro.

AScottMcCauley - I like it. A lot. It's an interesting shot even if you don't know what it is. It carries my eye through it very well. The shadows on the right help add some interest as well. I do think it's just a bit flat. It might be the flat white sky between the slats. Not sure, but I still think it's great.

CK Williams - The metal work in the skylight is very interesting and I think the building seen through it adds to the pic. The interior of the room is underexposed but there's not much to do about that. I think it might work better with a different crop. Perhaps you weren't directly under center when you shot it. Maybe a square crop that focused only on the octagon skylight?

Ruahrc - Beautiful. Rays emanating from a point. The colors are nice and vibrant and the fact that you can't see the edges of the plant makes it really work for me. My only critique (and it's not really one) is I wonder how it would look if shot from a bit of an angle. Does the plant have depth to it or is it flat. It might look cool from an angle that shows depth. Great job.

AxisOfBeagles - Another great shot. The reflection, of course, makes it very interesting. It would be great of all of the windows were reflecting and you couldn't see into the offices. The concrete in the bottom right kind of distracts me a bit too.

Presha - Very nice. Well executed. The colors are very rich and beautiful. I like all the geometry and lines in the picture and it appears you took the shot with that in mind. The perspective works very well. I can see it in an ad beckoning people to come visit the city.

capoeirista - Nicely done and cool forms. Looks like ice so water must flow down normally. Is it some sort of fountain? A quick google search points towards a building at the University of East Anglia. Is that right?

deep diver - You have a lot of these shots and they are all great. This particular one doesn't really work for me in this subject. It fits the subject for sure but maybe I don't feel it because a shape or pattern is not completed in the frame? That may not make sense. I think I'd almost rather see the entire cross section instead of a close crop.

macrumormonger - I'm always jealous of your city scape shots. They are all so interesting. The shape of the hedges are great and the symmetry with the trees is really nice. The people and the buildings are a bit distracting and unavoidable. I wonder how it would look (or if it was possible) from a higher angle?

mtbdudex - Perfect crop and an interesting feel to the shot. By itself it's not terribly interesting but I bet there are some cool things you could do with it. It might help with a little more detail and resolution in the glass blocks.

NeGRit0 - Another great shot. Wonderful DOF and color. The really lined that rail stop with safety cones. San Francisco? I know there are couple of other BARTs out there. Not much to say, it's a well executed shot.

El Cabong - I've seen this one before and liked it then. The water is very cool. I'm not sure it's as strong a representation of the subject as some others.

SLC Flyfishing - It's geometrical, that's for sure. I like the color and tone of the entire pic. The pattern is interesting as well. It's very hard to make a shot like that look more intentional and not just a snapshot. I think you did a great job.

OrangeCuse44 - Your profile pic keeps staring at me. It's kind of the same feedback as El Cabong for obvious reasons. I do think it's an excellent iphone shot though. It's a different perspective then El Cabong's but just as interesting.

Azazul - Nicely done. Nice sky and neat perspective. Great example of some ancient folks who really understood geometry.

tekmoe - I like it, and I don't….but I like it. Mixed feelings about this one. It's interesting and I keep looking at it but I'm uncertain about the treatment. I appreciate what you're doing though.

Designer Dale - In at the wire with a very interesting shot. I love that little building. Very cool. Is it a two bay hanger? One on each side? My only complaint really is the overcast conditions. I think you should make some more trips to this hanger and shoot it more. How would it look in B & W?

O.K. enough procrastinating. I have to pick a winner. As usual, it's kind of a toss up and if I keep thinking about it I'll keep picking different winners. Here goes:

3rd Place: AScottMcCauley - Very interesting and I love the shape and feel and how it draws my eye. I used to drive by miles of these out in Wyoming. It's a great interpretation and angle on a simple snow fence.

2nd Place: Presha - A very well executed photo in regards to the subject. I enjoyed the perspective and the lines all throughout the photo. There's a lot going on but it all works together and the city is still the very obvious focus. Great job.

Winner: Ruahrc - I love the color and the shading. I like how it very much fits the subject without being obvious. The colors are vibrant and rich and the detail is spot on. Great job and get started on picking a new subject for the next challenge. It's over to you!

Thanks for the opportunity to judge, it's a very educational experience. Looking forward to the next challenge!

NeGRit0

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2008
Las Vegas, Nv
NeGRit0 - Another great shot. Wonderful DOF and color. The really lined that rail stop with safety cones. San Francisco? I know there are couple of other BARTs out there. Not much to say, it's a well executed shot.

Thank you, and yes, in San Francisco. This was at the BART Station in the San Francisco International Airport. Oddly enough they were lined up like that every morning. So the third morning I got up a little early to head down there before there were too many people roaming around. One of my favorites from the trip.

ANd congrats to the winners, lot of awesome shots....

mtbdudex

macrumors 68030
Aug 28, 2007
SE Michigan
Great judging and comments JDDavis. I liked seeing the submissions of everyone.
I saw that shot by Ruahrc and was amazed by it, Ruahrc can you give some background on that shot?

My shot was taken @ MSU Breslin center, now don't laugh too hard - its the inside of a entrance way to a mens bathroom!
We were there for basketball game, my 3 yr old son was mesmerized by the glass blocks, so I quickly took the below shot as people walking buy and took 2nd one at more square angle which I cropped and used for this contest.
Yea, soft focus/etc, I had my T1i all of 1 week then.
Funny how people stare at you when you are taking pictures inside a public bathroom....
_MG_1429.JPG

Again, fun contest and great judging.

capoeirista

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2007
capoeirista - Nicely done and cool forms. Looks like ice so water must flow down normally. Is it some sort of fountain? A quick google search points towards a building at the University of East Anglia. Is that right?

Thanks for the time taken to judge the entries! Good work. And yes you are absolutely right, these are buildings in the University of East Anglia, but they are not a fountain, they are Undergrad accommodation! I used to get drunk in them many years ago....

They are a listed building, meaning they are protected by law and a very interesting architecture style.

University_of_East_Anglia.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.