Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

soLoredd

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2007
California
3854583445_c8ebc8906c_b.jpg

Zedsdead185

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2006
UK
No where near as good as most of the other stuff here, but hey ho, worth a shot :p

Attachments

• DSC_0127.jpg
    DSC_0127.jpg
    856.4 KB · Views: 123

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 12, 2003
At home
And the winner is

This is my second chance to judge the Weekly Photo Contest and I tried to choose a broad theme to encourage entries. I think we can all see the depth of quality here and I knew from the beginning it would be difficult to judge. So I’ve given my humble yet hopefully positive comments on each photo entry to give some thing back, as there can sadly be only one winner.

techie4life Squirrels are very popular in my home country and this is a beautiful and clear shot of what looks like a hybrid to me of grey and red. You photos are always great but this lacks just 1% of your usual high quality.

Willowtree Great stuff and good angle – it feels like you wanted a bit more leg from the bottom lizard – However their contented look is sublime. Nice shot.

SelfMadeCelo What a beautiful fish and how I wish this was framed better so both fins and tail were in shot. I’d crop it closer to the Manta ray and then tweak the contrast etc a little to help improve the image degradation from the glass tank.

DoNoHarm Good shot but I’d crop this to emphasize the cat as being the security and that cat looks big and dangerous enough to provide it.

PeteB Your photos are always good and this grainy shot adds character to this big cat. I like this.

Nicolasdec When a photo is this good like PeteB above – I don’t need to say much. Good shot.

LittleCanonKid another shot I love – lots of character. The babies are lost in the leaves a bit – but hey that’s the point.

davegregory An Amusing shot, full of character – that Lab looks like he keeps you busy. Interesting lighting to bring out more of his playful life.

deep diver I seen this before and its clear and beautiful Full sized this is great. I seem to remember this is through glass – fine work.

JDDavis Another cracker of a photo. I love the blue. Everyone can see this is quality so I don’t need to say much else.

someoldguy I was thinking of having a lucky shot theme instead of animals – this would have been great in there. For these shots to be great – I guess you already know you have to sit around all day for days and wait.

EvilMatty Lovely sharp photo of an stunning bird. I wish it was framed better and hadn’t lost part of its “eyebrows”. The back ground also distracts. Was it a captive owl?

jbernie Lovely family snap shot of a cat that is obviously full of character. This cat deserves more attention photographically.

Mr Ski 73 Gosh I wish you had cropped this differently – this would have been lovely but where’s the bottom part of the head?

mhami You wanted a great portrait of a cat – this is it. I don’t need to say anything else about quality.

yaroldb Beautiful animal an its obviously well taken but I can’t help feeling sorry that it appears behind bars.

CK Williams Beautiful clear photo of an amazing animal. Thoughtful and well cropped.

nomad01 What a fun little guy and you caught him well – a little out of focus but lovely never the less.

Jeremy.Gray I like a story in a photo or left wanting to see more. This ticks the boxes. This is wildlife photography at its best.

cutsman Stunning. My only thought on this – is the reflection in the eye and I hate being that picky, but eventually I have to choose a winner. I see a room reflected where as I’d like to see the big out doors. Quality photo though.

Educ8r I don’t know how much time was available for you to take this photo, but it needed more. The bird is over exposed (difficult I agree). The back ground to the left is lovely but to the right is un-attractive. To rescue this a bit I’d crop it down. A better position would also have helped. Animals in the wild are really difficult and patience and time are vital.

iBookG4user Lovely thoughtful study has warmth feelings oozing from it. Great shot.

mtbdudex Cool bear – my son would love it. Not a great photo but fun.

paintball312 It looks over exposed everywhere except for the boyfriend in this shot. Also to be honest the rock is very distracting and the grass around them looks faked. Photoshop used properly is a wonderful tool.
soLoredd That looks like a proud and big dog. Fine portrait.

Zedsdead185 You under estimate your photo. I think its great. My wife wanted to see more of the bird but I like it as it is.

oblomow This needed straightening a little first before cropping the road out. I think it’s a lovely photo and would be on the winners list but for the need of straightening.

I'm a Mac Nice photo of a camel. I feel the attitude this creature has and that is arrogant in a spit in your eye sort of way. It looks like it has had a tough life so that distracts me but a good shot.

pigbat what a great shot – very unusual. Quality counts and I like quality.

jake.f looks just like my cat – this is a nice snap – but your camera is capable of so much more.

flutegirl822 What a well taken photo – technically great and clear – all going well but I’d like to see more of this little creatures world.

capoeirista I love these animals and to be honest I’d again love to have seen more of this beautiful animal. You had me home sick for a few minutes when I saw you took this at Colchester Zoo. We used to go there when I was a kid.

joepunk At first I thought the back ground was going o be distracting but when I open the larger image I found I liked it and somehow it works to compliment the bad tempered look on the face. Nice shot.

bootedbear My eyes keep searching for a point on this that is in focus and when I find it – it doesn’t feel like it is correct, I found one eye in focus, one eye out of focus a bit distracting on what is otherwise a lovely portrait.

luminosity Great shot. Don’t need to say anything else. On my list of photos. You’ve just made my judging job that much harder.

I started writing a list of highly commended pictures but there were so many so I will leave it with my comments above and say that several pictures could have won this and I really struggled to find a clear cut winner but a winner there must be :-

Third : joepunk This just grew and grew on me.

Second : Nicolasdec That is a character filled dog.

FIRST - pigbat : This is just great – its funny, well framed full of character - just great – good work. Well done.

So pigbat its over to you to chose a winner and judge for next week. Tradition says you have 48 hours before someone Nicolasdec or joepunk act as stand-in.

mtbdudex

macrumors 68030
Aug 28, 2007
SE Michigan
Wow.... thank you very much. I will have the new contest up ASAP!

I like the one foot stance also, give character/uniqueness.
Sweet shot, congratulations.

I'm so new to taking picts with new DSLR, here was my other animal shot not submitted in this contest (posted in POTD thread).
My dog guarding our home.
_MG_0956.jpg

PeteB

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2008
I knew this would be a tough gig.

Well done pig & rest of the podium guys! :D

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 12, 2003
At home
I knew it would be tough and there were probably ten pictures I'd put right up there. Even choosing 3 for the podium took me an eternity today of looking through them.

Zedsdead185

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2006
UK
My first time entering these photo contests, and i must say, there was some awesome stuff here. :D Congrats Pigbat

Btw, quick enquiry, how do you go about placing the image directly into the text space without having to put an 'attached file' which needs to be clicked to be expanded? Just so its easier for my future entries :)

SelfMadeCelo

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2008
Tulare, CA
SelfMadeCelo What a beautiful fish and how I wish this was framed better so both fins and tail were in shot. I’d crop it closer to the Manta ray and then tweak the contrast etc a little to help improve the image degradation from the glass tank.

Thanks for the comments =) I was actually IN the tank lol While in the Bahamas on my honeymoon we got to snorkel in one of their huge aquariums and I took the picture with a disposable underwater camera. I wish I would've gotten a better framed shot too =(

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
Chappers -- truly outstanding job judging a tough lineup.

Pigbat -- outstanding image. Congrats.

I'm a Mac -- I spent a year studying in Jerusalem and 1995 was my last trip back. I think your camel's father spit at me one day. Thanks for the memory.

flutegirl822 -- I love this image. Work has been challenging for a couple of days. This shot really lifted my mood when I saw it yesterday.

Looking forward to the next one.

CK Williams

macrumors 6502a
Dec 27, 2008
Las Vegas
Congratulations pigbat. Outstanding photo and a great subject. Definitely a winner.

Another great selection of photos. Well judged Chappers. Thanks also for the comment. The photo actually wasn't cropped, just a minor exposure tweak.

Now to find a good shot for this weeks contest.

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 12, 2003
At home
Thanks for the comments =) I was actually IN the tank lol While in the Bahamas on my honeymoon we got to snorkel in one of their huge aquariums and I took the picture with a disposable underwater camera. I wish I would've gotten a better framed shot too =(

You would have got lots of credits and still do for taking that shot with a disposable. If I'm ever lucky enough to judge again - then I will chose "shots in difficult circumstances" and you should put this in. This is darn good for the conditions. Respect.

DoNoHarm

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2008
Maine
chappers - thanks for the feedback for everyone. I was really impressed with the quality of all the photos - this must have been a difficult one to judge!

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 12, 2003
At home
I chose a broad topic to get people involved and have a go - I knew how hard it would be because when I won before I chose "Blue" as the topic and had 42 entries.

I gave feedback to everyone because its only fair I think seeing as people have made the effort to enter.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.