Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sleepypanda

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 13, 2009
Tokyo
My apologies for the delay. There are some very nice panoramas here. This was really difficult, but without further ado,

Third place: JDDavis. Beautify mountains. How did you get up there and how did you get down?

Second place: Ruahrc. The texture and color of this panorama really stand out. If I could make one suggestion and this could be totally off, but if it were me I might adjust the horizon.

First place: flosseR. I really like the light in this shot and the autumn colors. It almost feels like a water color.

flosseR

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2009
the cold dark north
Holy c...

Thanks.. this i didn't expect , considering that this was my first serious attempt at landscape /panorama shooting.

WOW..

ok expect a new topic by tomorrow morning (Monday) EET (Eastern European Time, Northern really)...

Cheers
//F

AlexH

macrumors 68020
Mar 7, 2006
Holy c...

Thanks.. this i didn't expect , considering that this was my first serious attempt at landscape /panorama shooting.

WOW..

ok expect a new topic by tomorrow morning (Monday) EET (Eastern European Time, Northern really)...

Cheers
//F
That is a really cool shot!

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
Why? Give his some time. Not everybody is constantly on MR.

48 hours was a time decided upon from sometime ago as to keep the momentum of the thread going. Maybe it needs to be added to the rules officially.

flosseR damn fine picture and made me homesick for the UK. A worthy winner and although it was a tough week with many a great entry I loved the variation across this photo.

Ruahrc

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
Woo 2nd place cool!

Just my thoughts on the horizon issue, it's a little hard to see here in the web sized version but in the full version I think it's straight. It's a bit of an illusion because the hills on the left recede into the distance thus they should slant a little to the left like they do. If you look at the cliff in the far distance (left side) the top is level which was what I used to level the picture as that portion of the ground is level.

IMO leveling a pano properly is one of the most difficult things and also one of the things that is most important. Personally it's a little pet peeve of mine to see a pano with a horizon out-of-kilter, as it really detracts from the image. Even though it may be just out of level it can still subconsciously ruin the effect as your mind picks up on the distortion, so it's something I make sure to spend extra time on to get right.

Ruahrc

Ruahrc

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
Ruahrc -- I don't know what you used to level this image. I do know the horizon is perfect. The perspective gives great depth to the image. Well done.

Thanks. I do most of my stitching in Hugin so I align the images and adjust the horizon in the preview window carefully before I execute the final stitch. Sometimes I will also stitch small versions of the picture to check for things like exposure consistency and leveling before I do the full-size stitch with the slow algorithms. This is one of the reasons I kind of want to get one of them new i7 iMacs :)

Just to comment on the scene, it was the 2nd day we had gotten up at sunrise to shoot photos in this location. The first day the fog on the river was a lot better (there was more of it, covering more of the valley floor) but we could not shoot this location due to wildlife presence (rutting Bison) therefore we had to go to another location. We came back the 2nd day and although there were no wildlife the fog was not quite as pronounced. Not entirely a bad thing though as there is still enough for you to follow the course of the river as it meanders down and also to see what is on the valley floor. I have other panos of the area which I like a lot too but this one in particular the colors really came out well.

If anyone visits North Dakota, a stop at the North Unit of the Theodore Roosevelt NP is highly recommended. When we were there they were re-doing all the roads in the park with stimulus money so perhaps next year the road will be perfect and freshly paved as well- not half gravel like we had it.

Ruahrc

SLC Flyfishing

Suspended
Nov 19, 2007
Portland, OR
jrm27,

Is that a shot of Pocatello Idaho?

I ask because I have friends who lived there for a while, and I passed through two months ago on my way to and from Island Park.

It's a nice shot, and makes the town look so much nicer than it does from the interstate (assuming it is in-fact Pocatello).

SLC

jrm27

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2008
jrm27,

Is that a shot of Pocatello Idaho?

I ask because I have friends who lived there for a while, and I passed through two months ago on my way to and from Island Park.

It's a nice shot, and makes the town look so much nicer than it does from the interstate (assuming it is in-fact Pocatello).

SLC

Hey There SLC! Nope, not Pocatello. It is Avon, Colorado. Glad you like the shot! Thanks for the kind words.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.