Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BarryJ

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2007
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
St John's Newfoundland, Canada.

Taken with my old Sony DSC-F717. I have a Nikon D80 now and am on the learning curve for that camera. This snap was likely taken on full auto because I was an ignorant photographer... well, as far as the camera was concerned.:rolleyes:

This snap is not as pretty as many in this post, but this is the "seascape" near this fabulous city... and my home province. If you've never been... go.

You folks sure take some nice snaps. When I grow up, I want to be as good as you!

BarryJ

Attachments

• St. John's.jpg
    St. John's.jpg
    1,001.8 KB · Views: 124

LittleCanonKid

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2008
Gone Fishin'

I've been reading around MR for a few months, and this contest made me finally click that register button! Hope I'm doing this right. :p

IMG_8767_cropped_resized.png

rouxeny

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2008
Kailua Morning

Taken just above Lanikai Beach, Oahu.

Attachments

• Kailua Morning.jpg
    Kailua Morning.jpg
    506.4 KB · Views: 129

RHVC59

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2008
Eugene, Oregon
Seiners and Ferry boat in the Inside Passage

The Alaska State Ferry Matinuska taking my youngest south to University of Portland in mid August as one of the local seiners comes in to port loaded with wild Alaskan salmon.

f9 1/250 ISO 250

Attachments

• 20080815-(031)-Jess-leaves-.jpg
    20080815-(031)-Jess-leaves-.jpg
    841.2 KB · Views: 94

BarryJ

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2007
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
Hauling Caplin

Photo taken a couple of summers back, again with my old Sony DFC-F717. This shot from a community called Champney's East, on the NE coast of Newfoundland, Canada.
This lad was "casting" for a small seasonal saltwater fish called Caplin. We use the fish for food, fertilizer and bait. It comes to shore in the millions every June.

BJ

Attachments

• caplin.jpg
    caplin.jpg
    365.3 KB · Views: 114

RHVC59

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2008
Eugene, Oregon
It was still the 23 in Alaska

Not that I really mind but didn't the last two entrants just run out of time to enter.

Actually it was submitted at 10:25p.m. Alaska Standard Time on the 23rd of October... We here in Alaska get tired of being treated Special by the rest of the world. We are part of the states too...:D

lfhdez

macrumors member
Jan 3, 2008
Southern CA
so I guess..

Since it's inclusive, that means that it's still going on until 11:59:59 PM today. ;) I'll check it tomorrow to see who won. :)

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
Since it's inclusive, that means that it's still going on until 11:59:59 PM today. ;) I'll check it tomorrow to see who won. :)

I just hope the judge sticks to the theme, I can't believe how many people think "Seascape" means "It can be a picture of anything as long as there's water in the frame!" :confused:

mattw126

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2008
Naples, FL - Poughkeepsie, NY
I just hope the judge sticks to the theme

You 'hope'. Why? I'm sorry, Safari must be displaying this thread incorrectly, because I missed your creative contribution. I'm shooting a wedding tomorrow, makeup & hair start at nine, Apple Store doesn't open until ten. I'm going to try to make an appointment for Sunday and get a genius to straighten it out.

I can't believe how many people think "Seascape" means "It can be a picture of anything as long as there's water in the frame!"

#3 Please refrain from commenting on the photos submitted in the contest.

seascape.jpg

Some of us have chosen to fill the foreground of our images with rocks, some with sand, flowers, etc. Some chose to compliment a striking example of nature with another striking example of nature, but all the images are 'seascapes'. Why don't you just relax and let the judge decide the best pictures according to THEIR opinion. No need to leverage the results of the contest with your rigid understanding of a theme you didn't even bother to explore. :rolleyes:

skaliwag

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 31, 2008
South Oz
WOW there are some amazing shots here. It is great winning but it gives huge responsibility when judging.

The winner is Anubis.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
No need to leverage the results of the contest with your rigid understanding of a theme you didn't even bother to explore. :rolleyes:

I've got plenty of pictures of stuff near the water, but I've got no seascapes, which is the theme, so obviously having no seascapes, I didn't have a valid contribution. I hope you're not really that dense.

skaliwag

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 31, 2008
South Oz
Ok some elaboration then...:)

2 SLC Flyfishing : Framing of subject and reflection
3 PeteB Oil on Stormy Waters : Framing and great clouds
4 icanhasiphone? : Color and Composition

Other Faves were mickbab, LittleCanonKid, rouxeny, TheReef 's shots.

I guess because there were many awesome shots and I don't feel that i would do them justice with a critique. Don't feel that I am being lazy I would rather let your great pictures speak for themselves.

Kurt

anubis

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2003
Thanks everyone... The shot was of the Cliffs of Moher in Galway, Ireland. I changed it to B&W in post because that shot was at 300mm on a cropped sensor and there was basically zero saturation through that much sea mist!

My personal favorites in this contest were icanhasiphone?, rouxeny, and SLC flyfishing. I'm humbled that my submission was picked over theirs and everyone else's. Good showing everyone!

I'll start up the next contest thread shortly...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.