Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jbernie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2005
Denver, CO
Like "Purple cars with white walled tyres with German shepherd and Dalmatian dogs on the back seat smoking cigars and reading the Times newspaper."
:eek:

nuts! I had the perfect photo for that ready and waiting to go.... seriously...

ok...not really :)

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
Could you guys quit whining about pumpkins... holy moly! Give the guy a break...:eek: :cool: :)

The guy picked a topic he wanted, and that was his privilege since he won the previous contest... and it was fairly challenging, probably requiring most folks to actually go shoot something pumpkin related, since, like me, they probably didn't have much in the archives.

To the winner: Pick any topic you want. That's the challenge. Heck, in the fortnight challenge they've resorted to picking the latest word of the day as the topic... and it does make it challenging, but sometimes a bit odd. Challenge your entrants. If they don't already have a "winning" shot that fits the topic, maybe they can actually get their cameras out and go create one...
or they can wait until the next contest (a week.)

The contest will not die because only a few entrants participate on a given week, but it might die if the spirit of it goes away, and new people start feeling like they've got to please the old guard. I once had a topic which I though about long and hard, thinking it had lots of possiblities, "technology in our world" and only had a handful of entrants... I even suggested approaches folks could think about with the topic, to open up the creative brain storming. I expected tons of entries, but that didn't happen. I think it was too much for lots of people who just wanted to show a picture and get some feedback, and not have to think about it that much.

I'd say to just not overthink it. Go with your gut, and choose your topic. It'll either attract lots of entries, or it won't. But, it's your contest this week. And hopefully, I can come up with something to add to it... but... no promises. ;)

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
Could you guys quit whining about pumpkins... holy moly! Give the guy a break...:eek: :cool: :)

The guy picked a topic he wanted, and that was his privilege since he won the previous contest... and it was fairly challenging, probably requiring most folks to actually go shoot something pumpkin related, since, like me, they probably didn't have much in the archives.

To the winner: Pick any topic you want. That's the challenge. Heck, in the fortnight challenge they've resorted to picking the latest word of the day as the topic... and it does make it challenging, but sometimes a bit odd. Challenge your entrants. If they don't already have a "winning" shot that fits the topic, maybe they can actually get their cameras out and go create one...

;)
I don't want to get into an argument as I greatly respect you but I think a light hearted whinge is all it was and I reserve my right to an opinion. I always try and support the contest every week but we don't see pumpkins where I'm at so it would be a bit tough to get out and actually shoot something pumpkin related.

PS - The Fortnightly challenge didn't "resort" to anything. Someone had the idea of "word of the day" people liked it and it stayed. However when the "word" topic appears to be difficult an alternative is offered up. So we can have more than one theme running.

When your choice of photo contest "Technology of the world" wasn't a hit - it was a surprise - its such a diverse topic. However, when "Pumpkins" was chosen, it came as no real surprise to see so few join up. Very nice shot by you by the way.

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
I don't want to get into an argument as I greatly respect you but I think a light hearted whinge is all it was and I reserve my right to an opinion. I always try and support the contest every week but we don't see pumpkins where I'm at so it would be a bit tough to get out and actually shoot something pumpkin related.

PS - The Fortnightly challenge didn't "resort" to anything. Someone had the idea of "word of the day" people liked it and it stayed. However when the "word" topic appears to be difficult an alternative is offered up. So we can have more than one theme running.

When your choice of photo contest "Technology of the world" wasn't a hit - it was a surprise - its such a diverse topic. However, when "Pumpkins" was chosen, it came as no real surprise to see so few join up. Very nice shot by you by the way.

Hi Chappers... dang, that's the thing about posting on a forum... sometimes the slight tongue in cheek is a bit hard to convey... I was just taking up for the guy a little bit cause it seemed folks were picking on him a bit - although I admit I wasn't too excited about the topic myself.

Sometimes I'd be better off if I didn't hit "submit reply" as it can come across too blunt, perhaps, when I don't really mean it that way. I have the greatest respect for you, and just about everyone else here on this forum who contributes regularly, and for the second time today, I offer my apology if I came across a bit rude. It certainly wasn't meant in anything but the spirit of brotherhood (the sense that with friends you can maybe say what's on your mind without it affecting your real feelings for them... maybe I was a bit clumsy there :eek: ,) and perhaps to offer a little support to a fairly new member to keep him from being discouraged about continuing his participation.

Anyway, I respect where you're coming from, and always believe you should not only feel free to express your opinion, but you should do just that.
Cheers, and no personal offense meant... :) -phil

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.