Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EugeneA

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2008
The other meaning of the word...

re*flec*tion (noun) - serious thought or consideration.
(that's some smoked salmon on the table)

DSC_1636.b.jpg

dmmcintyre3

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2007
PowerShot a1000 IS. More info in other attachment

Attachments

• Picture 8.jpg
    Picture 8.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_1174.jpg
    IMG_1174.jpg
    790.1 KB · Views: 110

SLC Flyfishing

Suspended
Nov 19, 2007
Portland, OR
Becksreflection.jpg

My wife reflecting on our life here in SLC, we got married here, started a family here and now we're getting ready to move away so I can pursue a post graduate education, we're really going to miss it here.

SLC

dcaero

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2009
Hi all, I'm a new convert to mac and just found this forum while trying to learn all about macs. Here is my first post and contribution to Reflections...

3864253168_f866b25806_o.jpg

TheReef

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 30, 2007
NSW, Australia.
Such great submissions from all, very well though out interpretations and great photography, your all winners!.

Here are some comments, I try not to be too critical, please don't take offense if I am though, it's only one's personal opinion :)

compuwar - Nice photo, I like the differing gentle tones in the petals of the lilly, I'd personally crop it to emphasise these qualities a bit more but that's just me.

Plymouthbreezer - interesting photo - capturing your workplace and great view together. I like how the left is shadowed to show the yellow, and on the opposite the blue shines through in contrast with the easel? balanced in the center.

paulg - I like these tricky ones, feels balanced, the lit fence helps the figure stand out and the sky looks film look. Good job.

Agurri - Clever photo, simple, effective, I think the camera reflected in the lens could be a bit sharper.

iCris - Nice emotional capture, I like the choice of grayscale and reflections in the eye, maybe clone out the camera strap, but do like the extra reflective quality, it looks like there's a tear.

Freewayjim - great long colourful reflections going on, I'd crop some plain the sky out (make the image slightly longer) and put more emphasis on the buildings and reflection.

MattSepeta - Very simple but with great impact. I love the smooth out-of-focus background and forground and how the sharp red boyue and it's reflection contrast against the out of focus greens. It was worth the swim :)

EvilMatty - It looks like a beautiful place to be, nice composition and lighting on the bridge which brings out the reflection well. It really comes to life seeing the full size attachment...the fishermen, people on the bridge...it creates a really good mood for me.

TH3D4RKKN1GH7 - A good sharp shot where it counts and gentle lighting on his face, I find the background a bit distracting, I look at him, then my eye see that red Rav4 :p. All is not lost, I would gausian blur the background more and do a tight crop of his head, enough to just leave out the other face in the foreground, do that and It'll be a great image, his expression looks very reflective.

jbernie - great reflection going on, a bit less shadow perhaps but good lighting on the trees still.

mikshayne - I love the warm rich colour of the constructions and how they contrast with the deep blue sky, and similarly how their reflections contrast with the deep blue water.
It's a beautiful and well composed picture, great work.
(small tip - in aperture or photoshop select the blur brush and gently go over the sky to remove some of that noise and make it a bit more smooth.)

anubis - Really nice, and love the grainy effect on grayscale. I notice it's not just one mirror, the one in the background adds to the atmosphere of the room.

WebMongol - A nice clean sharp image, and interesting viewpoint for a reflection.

Art Exhibit - nice colours, simple composition works well.

JDDavis - Beautiful colours and reflective sky in the water. The birds adds significantly to the interest, the reflected skyline almost looks like it's trail to me - nice.

Joe King - Interesting reflections going on here, shows the working life in a different way.

emorydunn - A good effort and reflection, the bird is sharp and well lit.

someoldguy - Looks good enough to eat, love the reflection against the black and all the rich colours, it's a really great photo. I'd love to say more but I'm getting hungry :)

deep diver - Very good work deep diver, great interpretation of reflection. The idea and execution are excellent.

mickbab - Another good interpretation of reflection, I like how the ball is the window to the world and actual scene out of focus. I think it'd benefit from some warmer sunlight.

ramases - Beautiful reflection, contrast and symetry in this scene. Great work.
I'm being very picky here but maybe darken the sky to match the water.

jodelli - An interesting well balanced warm image. Plenty of reflection here.

magnetdoc13 - A very nice cityscape, great colour, lighting and reflection all around, well done.

scatron - Great outdoors scene, strong reflection and great sense of atmosphere. Nice.

EugeneA - I see the reflection haha, funny pic :p - and well captured.

flosseR - You've composed this very well, with well suited lighting and emotion, very nice - you should frame this.

Clix Pix - It took me a while to work it out, haha. Tricky interpretation of reflection, nice one.

supergrandma - Love the colours and texture in the sky and water reflections. It creates a really calm feeling for me I think I could fall asleep there.

Indydenny - I could fall asleep here as well! :) Nice reflections, and the warm-coloured figure in the lower left really adds to this photo imo, creates a warm sense of being there.

gnd - I'm normally not a fan of a 50-50 split but the shape of the house balances it out really well and isn't an issue here to me. Great lighting on the trees as well, it adds to the contrast with the building.

alvse - Woah. Everything about this image jumps out at you... the epic illumination of the car, cityscape of Perth (Going off your numberplate :p) in the background, and the strong emphasised reflections of the car and skyscrapers in the water. An excellent effort!! I'll try to make a criticism of this image because I have said so much good of it already:p but I can't really - everything looks great except maybe that small hdr halo around the tree on the right or the 4hour parking sign…eh I'm being really picky, great work!

nomad01 - A good effort, I personally would have tried to get more colour in the reflection , the left hand side is a bit grey.

dmmcintyre3 - your image feels slightly unbalance imo, perhaps experimenting and walking back would reveal more of the trees reflection in the water which is almost silhouetted by the nice greens you have captured.

bankshot - Great silhouette, strong colours, reflection and horizontal shadows. Very nice.

mcavjame - Well composed and plenty of reflection here. Very nice. An idea, not even a suggestion... it just looks like a photo that it may work on... perhaps contrast up the sky slightly and/or burn it, to and some drama.

SLC Flyfishing - You have conveyed her sense of reflection very well, and the long exposure adds well to the emotion imo. The snowy mountains are a nice offset as well.

dcaero - Welcome to the Mac and the forums :) A very nice image, strong colours with great reflections of the tree and clouds in the water. Good work.

brirvg1 - I like how the reeds in the foreground add to the depth of the photo and reflection. Maybe I could suggest boosting the contrast levels of the buildings slightly.

The Results:
It was very difficult selecting from such high quality works, here is what I have come to:

3rd Place:
mikshayne - the light, reflections and colours are conveyed wonderfully, you should be very proud of this.

2nd Place:
deep diver - Reflecting sheets in an instrument is such an inventive and creative way of interpreting the subject. It's great how all the faces reflect it. Very well done deep driver and congratulations on runner up!

*1st Place*
alvse - your image won me over. There are stunning reflections everywhere to be seen. Your HDR has been applied very well and adds to the mood of the picture greatly and really brings out the reflection. Congratulations alvese!

Other mentions: EugeneA, love the cat photo a good caption would go well with it, magnetdoc13 for your excellent colours and reflection, EvilMatty for the peaceful atmosphere you have captured so very well, I'd love to visit there, MattSepeta love the simplicity your image has a great quality about it.

edit: woah, can't believe that took 3 hours to write :eek:

mikshayne

macrumors member
Aug 4, 2009
Dallas, TX
Thanks for the tip!

WOW! Thank you so much for the tip! I'm learning everything by trial and error - and this will help a ton. I can't wait to go home and try it out! I wish I could spend a week with a pro....just learning! Thanks again, I REALLY appreciate the tip.

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
2nd is great. Thank you for your comments. There were a lot of really good images this week - tough (but very friendly) competition.

flosseR -- I especially like your image. The emotional content is outstanding. While we might compose the scene, this is one of those moments that cannot be planned. Outstanding job.

dcaero

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2009
Thanks for the comments and welcome. This seems like a very active forum and I look forward to getting involved. Especially this thread idea, fun way to share one's work. So the new winner puts up another idea, and starts the next thread...can't wait!

JDDavis

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2009
Soooo......Did I miss it in the forums? Where's the next round?

Alvse?

Deep Diver?

Milkshayne?

Bueller....Bueller...Bueller......
MV5BMTg0NjkyNDYzM15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNzY5MDUxMQ@@._V1._SX97_SY140_.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.