Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JDDavis

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2009
Orchid: 1/4000 @ f/2.8

Attachments

• orchid  017.jpg
    orchid 017.jpg
    662.4 KB · Views: 134

dmmcintyre3

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 4, 2007
I will not be here around the end of the contest. I will not be back until sunday. What should I do? Cut it short by a few hours? I will be leaving around 5 PM (The contest started at nine PM) (Eastern Time, with daylight saving active)

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
I will not be here around the end of the contest. I will not be back until sunday. What should I do? Cut it short by a few hours? I will be leaving around 5 PM (The contest started at nine PM) (Eastern Time, with daylight saving active)

Cut it short and annouce the winner before you leave. We all get busy and things come up. We understand.

Maxxamillian

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2004
Utah
I echo Razeus' thoughts on this. Not the end of the world (by a long shot) and there will be another contest running for you to jump into when you get back.

dmmcintyre3

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 4, 2007
Nicholie: must have been hard to do that with just one light, I would have thought parts of the photo would be overexposed while others underexposed

jake.f: That bird is perfectly frozen in that shot, but the bird just looks like it is falling and is just not my favorite

Chappers: That lightning is nice, and I am amased that you got it so clear in that shot.

emorydunn: Looks nice, Love that gostly effect of the girl

flosseR: That looks like it would have been hard to shoot handheld, Nice job on the camera handeling.

Zonyc: The dragonflies are not fillig much of the frame, I wish they were a little bigger

mrmayor92: The tree looks underexposed but that looks decent and the sun does look decent too.

sangosimo: The car looks like it was going fast so it did not show much becides the lights, Nice but the lights in the ceiling just don't to the photo much good

jdl8422: I just don't know why that one was submitted to this thread, It looks pretty normal. Simple though.

Maxxamillian: The boot are pretty and I do like it.

dcaero: This looks like a panting that was blown up above the org. size. Not that good of a picture

mattyb240: That is quite common view with the cars gone but the lights all that was showing. Anybody could do that with a tripod

Freewayjim: Pretty common nighttime city view, Looks OK

mikshayne: The humming bird's wings look like they are moving really fast, It is really easy to get those shots though, I think it is ok

jodelli: Pretty decent shot with the blur person, I think that it is OK but a little underexposed

nomad01: This has a nice sense of motion in it, and I like that the person is staying still with the cars

blownco: Another lightning shot, This is pretty but common, I think that it is pretty good.

micol124: This kinda looks like a failed attempt at tracking the dog while it was moving

steeveage: I like how the bridge looks. The cars look lie they are driving off of the bridge into the water. Good job

dibec: This looks like a beam of light is being shot past the camera, I do like how the car is not visible, I like it

JDDavis: Looks like the flower is just hanging there, I kinda like it

Nicholie: I like the way the cave looks, It is a nice photo

CK Williams: Relatively easy shot, looks pretty common though.

Third
Love the lighting and how the person is not blurry, This is close too.

Second
Interesting effect, Looks like the bridge is ending. That is a close second
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2602/3899641524_8704bcbd90_b.jpg

Golden Gate Bridge, taken from Marin Headlands
15 sec exposure @ f/11
First:
Nice photo with the girl looking like a ghost, I like it the most. How did you move her into the frame without there any blur from her coming in?

There was lots of photos I liked in this thread. This was good

emorydunn: You get to post the next thread

Gotta go, Bye

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
58 seconds ... one light ...

3760886108_2b95cf7788_b.jpg

Now that the contest is over, I'd like to express my admiration for this photograph. I saw it in another thread first and had to stop what I was doing and appreciate it for a while. It's simply sublime. It's not only beautiful and well composed, it's ripe with metaphorical significance. What was causing the red light in the foreground, by the way?

micol124

macrumors member
May 29, 2008
Milan, Italy
I second the question on the "winning" picture.
Question on the critique of my dog photo... how to improve? I liked that it has some sharpness while still showing movement, thought now that I look at it I realize it doesn't look as good in JPG adapted for web... uhm... how to convert it from raw while keeping it looking better? (I have PSCS3)
Also, how's the composition? The picture was meant to be a normal shot but I forgot the camera was set on a slow shutter speed... but I got a few good pictures by surprise :D
Thanks for the C&C :D

Nicholie

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2008
Huntsville, Al
Now that the contest is over, I'd like to express my admiration for this photograph. I saw it in another thread first and had to stop what I was doing and appreciate it for a while. It's simply sublime. It's not only beautiful and well composed, it's ripe with metaphorical significance. What was causing the red light in the foreground, by the way?

Woops. Ok. I retract previous statements. It's actually 2 lights, tho the red one was unintentional.

I"ll make a post about it, and link to it here sometime later tonight. You can however read more about it on my blog here , and see David DuChemin's comments on it here.

emorydunn

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2006
Austin Texas
Wow, I'm very happy. This is the first contest I've won anywhere with my photos (although it is one of the few I've entered).

As for the question: She moved fast. She started off in frame and then on my queue ran out of frame. I think she was in frame for about 15 seconds.

I'll have a new contest posted tomorrow.

Again, thank you!

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
Wow, I'm very happy. This is the first contest I've won anywhere with my photos (although it is one of the few I've entered).

As for the question: She moved fast. She started off in frame and then on my queue ran out of frame. I think she was in frame for about 15 seconds.

I'll have a new contest posted tomorrow.

Again, thank you!

Cool photo to win with - Congrats

I also liked steeveage's picture.

Thanks to dmmcintyre3 for judging and commenting when we all realise that you were in a rush. Good job.

mattyb240

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2008
While I appreciate any feedback, I would not say "anybody could do that with a tripod" is really appropriate. It all takes time to get the correct exposure for all the different sources of light in the picture. Mine was a single shot straight out of the camera.

No offence but I feel as though your critique on everybody's photos wasn't exactly helpful, you say most of these are common, but that was the theme you picked so what did you expect?

Congrats to the winner! A stunning photo!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.