Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mtnDewFTW

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 26, 2009
San Francisco, CA
Hi everyone,

Over the past few weeks I've attempted to track my weightlifting workouts at the gym with very little success. After doing some research on the topic I've found out about gymaholic and fitlist but Both apps need you to input the workouts before hand and don't really 'track' the workout. Choosing the 'other' option in the workouts app is kind of the best solution I've been able to find but it definitely doesn't track the workout accurately.

For weighlifters out there, how do you track your workouts? I understand the obvious difficult with tracking heart rate but would anyone know of a more accurate way to track calories burned?

Thanks!

xtshabi

macrumors member
Nov 7, 2015
I select the "other."
It's probably accurate enough since you're resting a lot between sets and most aerobic exercise burn rate would be inappropriate.

Germwise

macrumors regular
May 2, 2009
Very interested in hearing what people have to say.

I use the bodyspace app on my phone to track my workouts. I was contemplating buying an aws and using jefit, which also allows you to upload workouts.

Id love to track hr bury main goal is quickly tracking lifts.

mickerz

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2016
IMO a bluetooth chest strap is a much more accurate way to track calories burned during a strength training workout. I use the apps Reps & Sets to guide my workouts, but for actual tracking I use "other" on the stock app.

Reactions: SHNXX

SHNXX

macrumors 68000
Oct 2, 2013
IMO a bluetooth chest strap is a much more accurate way to track calories burned during a strength training workout. I use the apps Reps & Sets to guide my workouts, but for actual tracking I use "other" on the stock app.

I just watched a video review of the polar h7 on youtube from a guy actually doing a workout.

He's doing some silly "total gym" stuff, but my impression from the video is H7 seems fairly uncomfortable to lift heavy weights with.
Specifically, having this would interfere with bracing and having belts on for heavy sets.

Last edited:

mickerz

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2016
I'm not a heavy weight lifter by any means, but I lift more than the average gym bunny using Barbie weights and I never found the strap to get in the way. Of course I always lift with a shirt on, unlike that guy so maybe that would make a difference.

ardchoille50

macrumors 68020
Feb 6, 2014
I track my workouts on a spreadsheet that I created in the Numbers app. While I know this won't be the best method for everyone, it works quite well for me. I'm attaching my upper body master spreadsheet in case anyone wants a copy - it might serve as inspiration if nothing else. I've designed the spreadsheet as one sheet per month, so one spreadsheet file per year.

Attachments

• Upper body master.numbers.zip
    99.4 KB · Views: 250

Germwise

macrumors regular
May 2, 2009
Has anyone used the jefit or other weight lifting app on the watch that could give a review. Ive looked everywhere and can't find a solid description.

SilverDove

macrumors newbie
May 2, 2016
I use Fit Weightlift to track my workouts. The biggest draw to this app is that it works naitively so I don't need to lug my 6S+ with me. Post workout, the results are synced to my phone & to the health app. It isn't free, but it is def worth the small price.
[doublepost=1463759972][/doublepost]I use Fit Weightlift to track my workouts. The biggest draw to this app is that it works naitively so I don't need to lug my 6S+ with me. Post workout, the results are synced to my phone & to the health app. It isn't free, but it is def worth the small price.

mtnDewFTW

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 26, 2009
San Francisco, CA
I use Fit Weightlift to track my workouts. The biggest draw to this app is that it works naitively so I don't need to lug my 6S+ with me. Post workout, the results are synced to my phone & to the health app. It isn't free, but it is def worth the small price.
[doublepost=1463759972][/doublepost]I use Fit Weightlift to track my workouts. The biggest draw to this app is that it works naitively so I don't need to lug my 6S+ with me. Post workout, the results are synced to my phone & to the health app. It isn't free, but it is def worth the small price.
This is actually the best app anyone has recommended so far for what I need. Gonna give it a try today and see how it 'works out' ;)

Thanks!

Edit: Not clear on whether Fit Weightlifting will help me close my Activity rings. Any experience with that?

Last edited:

BlueMoon63

macrumors 68020
Mar 30, 2015
I definitely use "Other" for the workout choice when weightlifting as that is probably the only option really. As others have said though, it really only takes your stats and heart rate but that is close enough for me. Typically, weightlifting isn't as big of a calorie burn as running or elliptical or others as you may have more rest periods. Of course, you burn more calories after lifting than you do for cardio.

I have used Fitness Builder for many years and love the app. It works on the Apple Watch, but you have to open the app on the phone and pick your workout. After that, you have all the exercises and rest periods timer and can enter all the sets, reps and weight on the watch. I wish it was native, but the app is so good, I typically start the app on my phone and then leave the watch charging on the dock or just have it on my towel. I built my own gym at home so that makes it easier.

I have seen posts of people obsessing about what to do about weightlifting and what workout to choose when you may have a 10 minute warmup session. Don't obsessed over which workout choice to use. I know Other isn't perfect, but weightlifting workouts are very hard for any tracker to know what you are doing.

There is a new device from a company called Atlas that tracks your workouts with their wrist device and can track reps just by knowing what exercise you are doing.

https://www.atlaswearables.com/

SilverDove

macrumors newbie
May 2, 2016
This is actually the best app anyone has recommended so far for what I need. Gonna give it a try today and see how it 'works out' ;)

Thanks!

Edit: Not clear on whether Fit Weightlifting will help me close my Activity rings. Any experience with that?

As long as you enable the app the read/write to the iPhone's Health app, then it will include any workouts to the Activity rings.

The only issue I have with this app is the timer. It doesn't beep or "tap" you when the timer runs out. So basically while you're resting between sets, you have to monitor the timer on the watch.

mtnDewFTW

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 26, 2009
San Francisco, CA
This app is the closest thing I've come across for tracking weightlifting. The only issue I've had with it has been the fact that they don't have a lot of the workouts I do already indexed in the app, but luckily making new ones is pretty simple. Besides that this is definitely a solid app that will help me track my lifting more accurately than just the 'other' function in the workout app.

comics addict

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2013
I use Gymaholic to track my workouts. It's great since it's a native watch app and it adds to the activity rings. Also saves the workout data on the phone app. And best of all its free to download. I paid to unlock all the features only to contribute to the developer because it's the first app that did exactly what I wanted to track my weightlifting sessions. Check out the app https://gymaholic.me

Reactions: Dontcallmetiger

xtshabi

macrumors member
Nov 7, 2015
Although I don't like Stronglifts much, I just want a simple workout timing app with similar tap to change rep number type UI on the Apple Watch.

mtnDewFTW

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 26, 2009
San Francisco, CA
So, after trying all the recommended apps in this thread, as well as others I've found online/via app store i've come to a conclusion that the default workouts app is the simplest and best thing, and even though "other" function doesn't always record data 100% accurately while lifting, its way easier and more effortless than having to manually enter all the data in. However, I must say that Fit Weightlifting is the closest thing I've come across that I wouldn't mind using, but it still requires a lot of prep work.

Really hoping we get an app soon that allows weightlifting tracking to be a bit more accurate.

Talkingtoaster

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2014
UK
I select 'other' but there should be a separate option for weights. But I think its hard to track. I think it probably does a good job using your heart rate to calculate calories burnt. I don't pause it between sets as my HR drops as I think it takes this into account. My personal heart rate fat burning rate is 115bpm+

xtshabi

macrumors member
Nov 7, 2015
I select 'other' but there should be a separate option for weights. But I think its hard to track. I think it probably does a good job using your heart rate to calculate calories burnt. I don't pause it between sets as my HR drops as I think it takes this into account. My personal heart rate fat burning rate is 115bpm+

Is there some study showing that fat burning occurs at certain heart rate but not so much in others?
I seriously doubt that this is true.

ericg301

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2010
I too have gone through most of the apps in this thread and always fall back on Fitness Buddy. Despite not being updated since 2014 (they say an update is coming soon), it's still the easiest way to track weight workouts on my phone. Managing sets and reps on my watch isn't important to me and seems to take more time anyway.

So I use my watch to track HR and calorie burn, while my phone to track the actual workout.

I don't get all the hub-bub about the watch not having a dedicated weight lifting mode. I'm no body builder or trainer, but it's pretty obvious that the harder you work out and the more you lift, the faster your heart beats and more calories you burn. It's a pretty simple equation.

Talkingtoaster

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2014
UK
Is there some study showing that fat burning occurs at certain heart rate but not so much in others?
I seriously doubt that this is true.

Max heart rate, minus 60-70%. I can't find the calculator at present but my training routine was arranged by my cousin who is former world champion thai boxer and now a trainer. Ive lost 4 stone and gained a lot of muscle mass, so I trust him. You can cycle all day long and not lose weight unless you hit your burning rate. I have tried both methods and my personal burning rate has worked. This is the wrong forum for this though. Goto bodybuilding.com forums

heres a good example. http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/drobson178.htm

so many theories on this though, but for me it works. If your heart rate isn't high enough then your body doesn't break down fat, thats a simple fact.

Less than the fat burning range is still good for overall fitness and stanima of course.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.