Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Armendegga

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 18, 2009
Valdosta, GA
This has to be something I am missing. I have 2 Mac Studios. One is an M2 Max, and one is an M2 Ultra. On the M2 Ultra I am able to use a resolution of 3008x1692. I am connected via HDMI. On the M2 Max, I don’t have this option at all. (I am using the resolution list).

I was using different monitors at first so initially I thought it was something with the monitor itself, but I took the Philips monitor that was at the Ultra and had 3008x1692 resolution, and moved it to the M2 Max… but the 3008 display resolution is missing…. So it’s not a monitor issue, but something with the M2 Max.

I am using HDMI on both computers. I have not tried swapping the HDMI cables, but that is next on the list tomorrow.

A couple screenshots of my resolution list from both Mac’s.

M2 Max:
M2 Ultra:

I am on Ventura on both Mac's currently (but will be updating later this week).

Last edited:

splifingate

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2013
ATL
I have not tried swapping the HDMI cables, but that is next on the list tomorrow.

That would be my bet.

I am using DP connections to my P2715Qs, and System Settings > Displays on my M2 Max (Sonoma) shows 22 resolutions.

I'm using a rather robust 8K HDMI cable from my RX580 on the MP5,1 (Monterey) to one of my P2715Q's, and Displays shows 20 resolutions...

Missing there (from the options on my M2 Max):

1920 x 1080 (low resolution)
1280 x 720 (low resolution)

Both systems show 13 options when 'Show all resolutions' is off.

All provide 1692p

sweetymarc

macrumors newbie
Mar 24, 2024
Valleseco
This has to be something I am missing. I have 2 Mac Studios. One is an M2 Max, and one is an M2 Ultra. On the M2 Ultra I am able to use a resolution of 3008x1692. I am connected via HDMI. On the M2 Max, I don’t have this option at all. (I am using the resolution list).

I was using different monitors at first so initially I thought it was something with the monitor itself, but I took the Philips monitor that was at the Ultra and had 3008x1692 resolution, and moved it to the M2 Max… but the 3008 display resolution is missing…. So it’s not a monitor issue, but something with the M2 Max.

I am using HDMI on both computers. I have not tried swapping the HDMI cables, but that is next on the list tomorrow.

A couple screenshots of my resolution list from both Mac’s.

M2 Max:
M2 Ultra:

I am on Ventura on both Mac's currently (but will be updating later this week).
Hi there :)

I have the same problem...I switched 2 month ago from a M1 Max Macstudio to a M2 Max Macstudio and have since then the same problem. All resolutions in between 2560x1440 and 3840x2160 are gone...the display and cabling stayed the same. I'm using a LG 32UN650-W ! I also tried different cables but nothing...it didn't help.

Have you found a solution ???

PS: I tried it now with Displayport, it worked right away. So this must be a HDMI thing (maybe forced by apple)....it worked before over HDMI without any issues.

Last edited:

mr_roboto

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2020
Apple Silicon SoCs only support DisplayPort for video output. In order to provide one HDMI port on some Macs, Apple puts a DisplayPort-to-HDMI converter chip on the motherboard, sourced from someone other than Apple. Sometimes they may choose to change vendors for this chip, sometimes they update its firmware, and both of those things can explain resolutions appearing or disappearing.

Guenter

macrumors newbie
Dec 10, 2023
Hi,

on the pictures the show all resolutions switch is on in one case and off in the other, max be it is the issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.