Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jimbo110

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 10, 2006
Denmark
I got a very weird problem for 2 years and 2 months after buying my MacBook. When opening and closing the screen it was totally white depending on the angle of the screen so by adjusting the angle I could still use it which I did. Until one day the screen what totally white. I suspected it was the internal screen cord that's somehow broken. So send it to repair and he wanted to replace the whole screen saying it's a defect LCD panel. The price to replace it was so high I got my computer back and connected it to an external monitor for several months now. The other day I messed with some screen settings and today the screen suddenly works. Now I don't know if it's just something that would work only once. My question is do you think it's a data cord from the screen or the screen that needs to be replaced? I'm on a budget so trying to find affordable ways to solve it. Any suggestions?

jimbo110

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 10, 2006
Denmark
Update screen worked all day yesterday. Today it's just white screen again. Could it be software, screen cable, LCD panel or some internal settings?

Madonepro

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2011
Not going to be much help to you, but thought if I ask some questions, and get you to explain it a little better, it might encourage other Rumourers to wake up over the Labor Day weekend ?

Did you buy this new? What is it, MacBook or MacBook Pro/Air. When you say the screen is white, can you provide some images? When you sent it for repair, was it to an Apple store? If not, do you have one nearby?

Reactions: jimbo110

jimbo110

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 10, 2006
Denmark
Thanks for comment hope some will wake up during the Labor Day weekend ? Yes, was completely new I have taken care of it like it was my little baby, not even a scratch. Was a bit disappointed when the MacBook 12" started to fail on me.

Don't have a Apple store nearby so sent it to a repair place they said the LCD was a defect I'm not so sure that's true since the screen is working right now. Attached is two photo one when it's white and when it works taken just in a different angle.

Attachments

• skærm2.jpg
    skærm2.jpg
    286.3 KB · Views: 255
  • skærm.jpg
    skærm.jpg
    572.2 KB · Views: 273
  • Love
Reactions: Madonepro

Madonepro

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2011
Probably a loose connection, I'd personally find another repairer, and point all the things you've said here.

jimbo110

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 10, 2006
Denmark
I just got a call they suggest changing ..the whole screen they said the cable is glued to the screen. Not so sure about that. Think procedure is to replace screen not cables. I have seen display cable for cheap on eBay for MacBook. A screen replacement cost 80% of the computers total price price I paid for it. Makes no sense. Used computer all week just finding the right angle.

slimmy18222

macrumors member
Feb 13, 2017
Italy
Do u think guys that could be a ribbon cable problem also in my case? Same Model here, A1534 MacBook. Glitches and strip random on laptop screen, but no one in display-out.

speedynix

macrumors newbie
Dec 21, 2022
I just got a call they suggest changing ..the whole screen they said the cable is glued to the screen. Not so sure about that. Think procedure is to replace screen not cables. I have seen display cable for cheap on eBay for MacBook. A screen replacement cost 80% of the computers total price price I paid for it. Makes no sense. Used computer all week just finding the right angle.
Did you get it fixed?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.