Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

seedster2

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2007
NYC
Congrats on the new glass.

I just ordered one yesterday after finally finding one at Robert's (no shipping fee or taxes). Good luck shooting.

Did you decide on a flash?

SLC Flyfishing

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 19, 2007
Portland, OR
Well look at it this way - that is a beautiful girl, with a beautiful smile. If I was her dad, I'd be really bummed I'd missed the shot. All it would have taken was a second to think about metering. If you can't do it then, then what makes you think you'll do it under pressure when it counts?

She is a beautiful girl, and I have literaly hundreds of beautiful photos of her. I'm not bummed in the slightest that I missed the shot, we were camping, both of us woke up earlier than my wife and son, so we got out of the trailer, walked down to the lake's edge to have a look, I took the camera with me on a whim, had it set to aperture priority and evaluative metering, and just sorta told her to smile and grabbed the shot. This was not a planned photo, or anything like that at all. Sometimes I'll do that! Other times I'm looking for a photograph rather than a snapshot and I'll be very careful about how the camera is set, what the background is like, and how the lighting is, this just wasn't one of those times. Normally I'd have my P&S with me, but we just bought the lens the afternoon prior so I took the DSLR instead so I could check the new glass out.

My point was we (MYSELF INCLUDED!) need to make sure we have good habits which include thinking about metering and exposure, BEFORE pressing the shutter.

And I do, but as I've explained, I'm not always looking for a work of art. I have cameras with me alot of the time, just so I can make quick snapshots and document things I did with the kids. It's not like I'm trying to be lazy, but like I said I normally use a P&S camera in these kinds of settings, this time I happened to bring the DSLR for fun, so I was using it more or less like a P&S.

And as far as I read, this was a new LENS, not a new camera. So no excuse for not knowing where the spot meter or exposure adjustment button/knob/toggle is (actually it needs some fill flash to brighten her eyes, but that's a different topic...)

New lens as of Friday the 21st of August. New camera as of Thursday the 13th of August. I know where the spot meter setting is, right next to the viewfinder, but again I was not worried about that.

Strive for excellence, we have enough mediocrity in the world already. That little girl deserves it.

I will strive for excellence when I'm out to get a real photograph, and you're right my daughter deserves it, luckily she has it as my wife is a professional portraitist.

I guess what I'm trying to get across is that I understand what you are trying to say here; and I would tend to agree that digital has made photographers more lazy. It is easy to see where you're going wrong now, and see it immdeiately. Many shooters won't pay as close attention to what they're doing because of this. But my point is this: does it really matter?

I know I don't personally care if someone elses photo is over exposed, underexposed, or perfectly exposed. Much less when they willingly say that they took a quick snapshot. Not everyone is trying to be a professional photographer, DSLR's are cheap these days so a lot of people buy them and use them like P&S cams. That's fine by me.

The other thing that affordable DSLR's have done to the photography world is make everyone think they are a professional. How many people do you know who are trying to shoot weddings with a Rebel and some cheap consumer glass, and almost nothing in terms of photographic experience? I know plenty, and I'd be one of them were I to try and shoot weddings or family portraits etc (save the cheap equipment qualification). I'm under no illusion that I'm a pro, or even a good photographer for that matter. I'm not really trying to become one. I'm actually an Emergency Medical Technician/Student who works in the non-profit sector in a clinic which donates health care to homeless people. And I'm working on going to Medical School. I do like photography and taking pictures, I like electronics even more, but I'm certainly no pro, and I'm not even trying to become one, nor am I particularly concerned with spending a lot of time trying to master photography right now. I've got bigger fish to fry you might say.

My wife is a pro-photographer in the sense that she makes money from photography and has a good base of clients who are returning to her for photographic needs, and referring her services to others. She gets about 5 or 6 referrals per month, so we felt it was appropriate to upgrade her gear recently. My wife follows your mantra of always striving for perfection with her clients. But I'll let you in on something, even my wife likes to just point and shoot sometimes when we're out with the family. She realizes that not every shot of the kids needs to have perfect lighting, metering, or even composition. Those pictures are for us to look back on later and remember the times we had, not marvel at mine and my wife's photographic prowess. We'd rather snap a quick photo and get back to playing with the kids.

And that's more or less what I did here.

No offense taken, you explained yourself well, and I respect what you said. But on the other hand, I'll respectfully keep doing what I'm doing. When I have a photo that I'm particularly proud of, I'll post it as such. But this one was meant purely to demonstrate the vignetting I was getting with the AF-S Nikkor 24-70 f/2.8 ED, which is one fantastic lens, I must say.

SLC

luminosity

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2006
Arizona
I just want to commend SLC for his amazing restraint and humility. I don't know who appointed pprior as Lord High Inquisitor of all things photographic, but it sure wasn't anyone I know of.

If SLC wants to use his D700 as a glorified paperweight, he can do that. The same goes for his 24-70 and anything else he or his wife owns. If he wants to take intentionally bad snapshots for the rest of his life, he can do that. So long as he's not lecturing people on their own photographic skill (or perhaps lack thereof), there's no problem.

In fact, of course, he's taken some great shots, including some beautiful ones of his daugther. As an avid user of both digital and film, I've come to understand that no matter what you do, sometimes things work out just right and sometimes luck turns against you. That's just how it goes in photography.

So, again, SLC, kudos to you for some excellent posts, and all the best to you from a fellow D700 user. May you prosper with it, but more importantly, shoot whatever you damn well please. No excuses, and certainly no justifications necessary.

Just reading it again, I can't believe you had the patience to write all of that out. You're a better man than I.

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
I've been both an amateur, then a professional (because I was getting paid,) and now I'm an amateur again. I do lots of grab shots with my dslr... sometimes I don't want to think of what I'm doing. I don't understand why it's such a philosophical issue with some folks... it smacks of elitism, even if it's meant well.

SLC, I envy you the new rig. It's kind of what I'd like to aim for, or perhaps start with some primes. I'd be glad to hear more ongoing reportage as to how your exploration with this new glass, and your D700 are going. Your first hand experiences will probably mean a heck of a lot more to me than any review written in a magazine or web site.

And, I'd also like to commend you for keeping your cool under a barrage of "lessons" from others. I have enjoyed seeing your work over the years, and love the honesty of the shot of your very cute little daughter. :)
-phil

Maxxamillian

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2004
Utah
It seems rather ironic to complain about others making value judgments by making value judgments.

Odd. Expressing an opinion over a value system that severely limits / discourages "grab shots." Definitely out of the ordinary...we should have none of that. :rolleyes:

SLC Flyfishing: If I remember right I am north on the Wasatch Front from you. I've been shooting with the 24-70 for over a year now...and just LOVE it. It is a keeper of a lens. Watch for barrel distortion (easily correctible) and just enjoy the low light capabilities of a fast lens and high ISO body. Outside of the weight of the lens, I have NO complaints. It is built like a tank and will last.

I have 3 sb-900s in my kit. Flipping through Nikon's amazing CLS system using the new layout (over the sb 800) is a smile-cracking experience. Be sure and update the firmware to the latest as the thermometers (there to save you from having to go out and buy another unit) are initially set at too low a temperature. Also do some research on the kinds of batteries you will be using...it helps, but understand that a lion's share of the heat is generated by the flash itself. I've run into several instances where I've overheated the units which trips them into a cool-down (read: shutdown) mode. This isn't so smile-cracking when it happens.

As for these grab shots. There are days when I feel like everything I've snapped is a grab shot. Some of these grab shots have metamorphosed into some of my best work yet...which I guess is why I feel like Forrest Gump and a box of chocolates every time I download a batch of pics to the computer...

Congrats! Have (tons) of fun!!

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
It seems rather ironic to complain about others making value judgments by making value judgments.
It has to start somewhere... and that's where to look.. rather than present a circular argument... but, yes, I can certainly make value judgments with the best of 'em - however I'll try to justify any judgments I make. It certainly isn't complaining, which you labeled me as doing.

...besides, I really was saying I didn't understand something, and you did nothing to enlighten me. Maybe you can take the time to help me understand that which I said I didn't understand... or not. cheers.

pprior

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2007
I just want to commend SLC for his amazing restraint and humility. I don't know who appointed pprior as Lord High Inquisitor of all things photographic, but it sure wasn't anyone I know of.

I'll make sure you get on the mailing list since you missed it:

˙ɐɯɐqo ʞɔɐɹɐq pǝuƃıs ˙ɔıɥdɐɹƃoʇoɥd sƃuıɥʇ ןןɐ ɟo ɹoʇısınbuı ɥƃıɥ pɹoן sɐ ɹoıɹdd ʇuıoddɐ ʎqǝɹǝɥ ı

But seriously, you guys are way overreacting to my comments. Need to get a little thicker skin mates. As I explained above, I was myself contemplating this issue over the weekend, so i felt like throwing a comment in the mix for consideration. It was not meant to demean the OP but rather to make what is (to me only apparently!) a valid point: it's easy to develop lazy habits shooting digital, and generally that's not a good thing.

I'm sorry everyone got their panties all twisted up over it. Of course everyone has the right to take a crappy a picture as they desire. Heck, keep the freaking shutter cap on if it makes you happy, Luminosity. But if anyone is coming across as self important and insulting, it's you.

And since we're in the mood to rumble apparently, I'll just tell you that canon 24-70 has nowhere near the level of vignetting you're seeing there, so take that you pissy nikonians.

(note to the overly sensitive sarcasm impaired: that last paragraph was a joke. Well actually the statement of fact is true, but the last bit was a joke).

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
Hmm, I find it odd a thread about getting a new lens ended up to become a heated discussion about photograph criticism :rolleyes:

Anyway not that's done with. Congrats on your SB900 and the 24-70 (dang I love that lens eventhough I never used it before). Alright well bout the batteries, I personally use the Maha Powerex 2700mAh, and I love its intelligent charger.

luminosity

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2006
Arizona
I'll make sure you get on the mailing list since you missed it:

˙ɐɯɐqo ʞɔɐɹɐq pǝuƃıs ˙ɔıɥdɐɹƃoʇoɥd sƃuıɥʇ ןןɐ ɟo ɹoʇısınbuı ɥƃıɥ pɹoן sɐ ɹoıɹdd ʇuıoddɐ ʎqǝɹǝɥ ı

But seriously, you guys are way overreacting to my comments. Need to get a little thicker skin mates. As I explained above, I was myself contemplating this issue over the weekend, so i felt like throwing a comment in the mix for consideration. It was not meant to demean the OP but rather to make what is (to me only apparently!) a valid point: it's easy to develop lazy habits shooting digital, and generally that's not a good thing.

I'm sorry everyone got their panties all twisted up over it. Of course everyone has the right to take a crappy a picture as they desire. Heck, keep the freaking shutter cap on if it makes you happy, Luminosity. But if anyone is coming across as self important and insulting, it's you.

And since we're in the mood to rumble apparently, I'll just tell you that canon 24-70 has nowhere near the level of vignetting you're seeing there, so take that you pissy nikonians.

(note to the overly sensitive sarcasm impaired: that last paragraph was a joke. Well actually the statement of fact is true, but the last bit was a joke).

Photozone required four copies before it finally got a good one of the 24-70L to test.

Well, I guess everybody has a nemesis and mine is the Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8 USM L. It took me 4 (f-o-u-r) samples of the lens to get a good one - please note: "good", not a "great" sample. The first three variants showed rather hefty centering defects which spoiled the results quite a bit.

http://www.photozone.de/canon-eos/184-canon-ef-24-70mm-f28-usm-l-test-report--review?start=1

Also a statement of fact.

pprior

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2007
Well at least we're arguing now about important things like nikon vs. canon :)

I'm signing off - best regards to you guys, please do enjoy the new lens, your daughter is beautiful and I'm sure you'll put the kit to good use.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
It has to start somewhere... and that's where to look.. rather than present a circular argument... but, yes, I can certainly make value judgments with the best of 'em - however I'll try to justify any judgments I make. It certainly isn't complaining, which you labeled me as doing.

...besides, I really was saying I didn't understand something, and you did nothing to enlighten me. Maybe you can take the time to help me understand that which I said I didn't understand... or not. cheers.

Well, it certainly looked like a rhetorical question complete with the sarcastic quotation marks. My apologies if I mis-read it. But just like I can't imagine why someone wouldn't take every opportunity to perfect their craft with their gear, I doubt you'll quite "get" the philosophy that wants to continually strive for the best image possible- it's not that I don't understand it, I just don't know why you'd spend a few thousand dollars on something and not try to use it to its full advantage every time- and I don't understand why you wouldn't test something under the expected use case before going outside of that- I don't necessarily equate it with laziness, mental or otherwise, but I don't understand the motivation. While I didn't speak for the royal "we" like pprior, for myself, I always want to create the best image I can- that's part of why I haul around an expensive DSLR and a heavy tripod and insane lenses- otherwise I'd be perfectly happy putting a small P&S in my pocket- but to me there's a craftsmanship to photography- some other photographers feel the same way, some don't- that's their right, and as I said before, it'd be a boring world if we all thought and acted the same way.

Some people buy really good tools like screwdrivers and use them as pry bars and box cutters- others decide that if they're buying a particular tool, they'll use it as it was designed to its best effect- some people buy cheap screwdrivers and don't care- it's all in a viewpoint. I hardly find it more elitist to continually attempt to improve one's craft than i find it pretty-much false-populist to denigrate someone for wishing to. I also don't happen to think that pprior was doing anything but wishing to express a desire for craftsmanship in a world where it's a fading commodity.

I just had a quick view into the preparation a wedding photographer I respect goes through. I asked him to check out RPP as a raw processor and post some images, as I'd like to see the difference between ACR in Lightroom and RPP on Canon files. The quick "first impression" shot was of a Greytag Macbeth color chart being held by his assistant prior to shooting formals for the last wedding he shot. I've seen lots of wedding photographers who don't even properly light formals- let alone go far enough as to calibrate their lighting against a color chart prior to shooting. That extra mile is, when done right craftsmanship- as an individual choice, it's no more right or wrong that deciding to shoot some family member or friend's wedding with no preparation- but someone who goes to great lengths to always create the highest quality they can- for me that's someone I'd prefer to emulate. To me, there's a difference between a hand-made chair done by an expert craftsman and a plastic chair made in Taiwan and imported to Wal-Mart. They both hold your butt off the ground perfectly well, but there's an enjoyment for me in appreciating one. Our output is the culmination of our vision and our craftsmanship- and I can't see why I'd want to do anything other than try to improve both parts whenever I had the opportunity.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
It was not meant to demean the OP but rather to make what is (to me only apparently!) a valid point: it's easy to develop lazy habits shooting digital, and generally that's not a good thing.

Oh, it's not just digital- it's small-format fast-shooting cameras. One of the best things I ever did for my photography was to shoot Large Format for a while. When you're forced to slow down and compose and when you get one, maybe two shots before the light changes, you tend to really pay attention to the details in the images (nothing like setting up for 20m and taking a shot, then seeing that coke can on the river bank only after you process the negative!) You also tend to pay a lot more attention to composition and more importantly not take a shot that isn't right.

It may be a bit of an oversimplification, but I've always said "A good photographer is known by the shots they take. A great photographer is known by the shots they don't take."

SLC Flyfishing

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 19, 2007
Portland, OR
Well here's my edited version of the shot. I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out.

SLC

FielWallpaperPineview.jpg

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
Thanks, compuwar, for taking the time - and it was well thought out. And... I actually do "get" and understand the pursuit of perfection, as elusive as it is. I only meant, when I said it "smacked of elitism," that sometimes those who would take it upon themselves to teach others tend to come off as a bit judgmental, even if they have valid points. It can often sound like a lecture, where the lecturer assumes they know something that the other person does not. It's really all in how it comes across in the end. If it comes across as "the way I do it is the only correct way," then the message could get lost in translation.

But, I think we've cleared all this up, and I appreciate the dialogue/discussion. :)

SLC Flyfishing

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 19, 2007
Portland, OR
Now that the arguing is done. I thought I'd post the obligatory shot from the other piece of kit I wrote this post about.

Here's one I took at 200 mm and f/2.8 using the nikkor 70-200.

BeckyandFiel-2.jpg

My wife and daughter were the models.

SLC

drlunanerd

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2004
Now that the arguing is done. I thought I'd post the obligatory shot from the other piece of kit I wrote this post about.

SLC

Great shot, brought a smile to my face :)

Had they been eating ice cream? I ask as I can see a couple of what seem like white spots on their T-shirts - can you spot them kids?
Or maybe they're just hot pixel clusters ;)

SLC Flyfishing

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 19, 2007
Portland, OR
Looks like a piece of lint on my wife's shirt. And the one on my daughter is an embroidery design on the shirt that's stitched in metallic thread, sun reflection.

I honestly hadn't noticed them, now I've got to go back and tough those up. This is why I'm no pro, people would be getting angry at my inability to catch these sorts of things on a daily basis.

SLC

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast

BeckyandFiel-2.jpg

SLC

Love the depth of field, and especially the expression on your daughter's face... I can see this lens creating a lot of keeper family photos, and now I really want one...:)

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
...well great!

now just learn to take photos. may i suggest you start by getting a good exposure.

MattSepeta

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2009
375th St. Y
Holy Cow

"Razeus ...well great!

now just learn to take photos. may i suggest you start by getting a good exposure. "

Really constructive. Great contribution to the thread :rolleyes:

That aside, that is the kit I am working towards (But the canon variant).
I look forward to hearing more about how it works out!

SLC Flyfishing

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 19, 2007
Portland, OR
...well great!

now just learn to take photos. may i suggest you start by getting a good exposure.

errm thanks for the comment?

Not sure what that's about but hey, to each his own I guess. Whatever gets you excited.

Edit: I've just had a peak at your Flickr, perhaps you can teach me to take photos? I'd love to learn to take mindless snapshots of the city from atop a high building or hill. I bow to your photographic excellence and request to be educated ;)

This one is particularly fascinating, how did you manage it?
3873032432_495615c1c5_b.jpg

:D

SLC

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.