Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

beavo451

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2006
The perspective of a 50mm prime, versus a wider lens or tele lens, as to do with the perceived compression or expansion of foreground and background elements. It's got nothing to do with sensor or film size.

Perspective also has "nothing" to do with focal length either. Distance determines perspective.

Stand in one spot and take a picture of a scene with a 20mm lens and a 200mm lens with the same thing in the center of the frame. If you take the 20mm shot and crop it so that the framing is the same as the 200mm shot, the perspective will be exactly the same. DOF will be different though.

snap58

macrumors 6502
Jan 29, 2006
somewhere in kansas
I don't understand you at all. And you do not seem to understand my earlier post at all.

No one is talking about 49mm image circles.

Just because the film is not as high as it is wide, does not mean that you calculate a lens differently. You make a lens round, not egg shaped. That is why you calculate with 35mm. And 35mm film really is not 36mm.

I am talking about focal lengths, and you bring up image circle? They have like NO bearing on eachother...

Sorry, I wasn't very clear, it's a problem I have. You said..

Actually the real only "prime" lens for 35mm film is a 50mm lens, but nowadays all single focal point lenses (non-zoom lenses) are referred to as primes.

35mm^2 + 35mm^2 = 2450... the square root of 2450 =... 49.5mm.
My impression is that this is the way to determine the correct "standard" lens for a given sensor/film format.

I am not sure that is the correct way to determine the "standard" lens. I think you have to use the diagonal of the image plane, and the image on 35 mm film cameras is 36 x 24. I think using the 35 mm film width, including sprockets is incorrect. I got the following off a photography site and is how I always thought it was done?

A "normal" lens produces a field of view that is similar to human vision.* The diagonal of the image plane is typically used as the reference for field of view determination.* A "normal" lens has a focal length that is approximately equal to the diagonal measurement of the image plane.* When the focal length is equal to the diagonal measurement it produces a diagonal field of view of approximately 53° which is similar to human vision.

For 35mm film (24 mm by 36mm), the diagonal measurement is 43.27mm. 50mm is close to this measurement so it is considered a "normal" lens.* A 50mm lens produces a 47° diagonal field of view which is close to 53°.

What would the FOV be for a 43 mm lens be, would it be closer to what the Human FOV is than the 50 mm? And if it is, then is it possible that your method of determining the "standard" lens (using the 35 mm width in lieu of the image plane) might be incorrect? Just asking the question.

Also I think a "Prime" is a set focal length lens period. The 50 mm is considered the "standard" prime for the 35 mm camera, but is not the only "true" prime?

Sorry for the confusion

coldrain

macrumors regular
Dec 20, 2006
I really think that site is wrong. We do not look at 3:4 or 16:9 formats... eyes are round. All lenses are circular. The height of a chosen format has nothing to do with what would be a standard focal length. the widest part of the image determines it, hence 35^2 * 35^2... the lens system is as high as it is wide. If you decide to crop the photo even less high, the perspective and the view do not change.

So, I still am quite convinced that 50mm (49.49mm) actually IS the correct standard less. It is not like a 43mm lens would be hard to make you know... and 40mm is closer to 43. The site in my opinion simply is wrong.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
To be frank, corner sharpness is really the LAST thing that is important for what a 50mm lens will be used for. You should know that in portrait photos corner sharpness is not very important, ESPECIALLY in such shallow depth of field photos if you would actually use f1.4.

Fact is, the f1.4 is sharper and better than the f1.8, and what you claim, that many say the f1.4 is soft, is just not true.
I know MANY people with a 50mm f1.4, and no one complains it is soft.
And besides, SLRgear comfirms this, they even state that the lens is TACK sharp over most of its aperture range.

And that SLRgear doesn't know how to reliably test lenses is not my problem. And maybe they had a damaged copy, if their copy was unsharp in the center.
But photozone.de actually does quite a good and careful job, and their findings most of the times match the results from the german photomagazine ColorFoto.
The fact that both photozone and ColorFoto come to the same assessments most of the time does show that photozone's test results are reliable.

Their conclusion on the 50mm f1.4:
"The EF 50mm f/1.4 USM showed an almost flawless performance during the lab- and field-tests both in terms of optical and mechanical quality. If I had to list a few negative points it would be vignetting and low contrast at f/1.4. So if you're looking for a lens in this class the EF 50mm f/1.4 USM is a great option."

I do not know about you, but in reality you would not use f1.4 very often. And the lens is a very good lens, and very attractive for portrait photography. And in portrait photography, who cares about softer edges when you would actually be using f1.4! You subject is in the center.

Here a 200% crop of the Canon 50mm f1.4 on the edge (not the corner) on s 5D fullframe(!!). At f8 i believe.
Canon_fringing.jpg

And here a 200% crop from the Nikon 50mm f1.4 on APS-C (D200).
Nikon_fringing.jpg

http://www.digitalcamerainfo.com/co...o-Head-Review-/Performance--Image-Quality.htm

This shows the 50mm f1.4 Canon to perform well compared to the Nikon version... both in sharpness on its extreme edge (it was full frame) and in CA.

And if you actually care to read what real users have to say about it, you would know it is a very good lens. If you shift through the "reviews" on fredmiranda for instance, and discard the worthless "reviews", you will find it to be a very well liked lens.
http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/showproduct.php?product=29&sort=7&cat=2&page=3

All in all it is very safe to say that the 50mm f1.4 lens from Canon is a very much loved lens, and where you get from that often people complain on how soft it is is a mystery to me.

I think a lot of what you said is hilarious. Keep it up. :p

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
Do any 35mm format cameras have an image circle that is 49 mm, (except for Canon) I don't think the lens mounts are that large? Could be I've been wrong all these years?

Just a data point, the lens projects the image, so the lens mount diameter really doesn't have much to do with the size of the projected image at the sensor/film plane. My 5x7 view camera certainly doesn't have a 7" hole in the lensboard...

coldrain

macrumors regular
Dec 20, 2006
I think a lot of what you said is hilarious. Keep it up. :p
What was so hilarious? I guess you rather give a remark like this than to actually respond to the points and info I made an gave?

I guess you are not a wedding or portrait photographer.

snap58

macrumors 6502
Jan 29, 2006
somewhere in kansas
the widest part of the image determines it, hence 35^2 * 35^2... the lens system is as high as it is wide. If you decide to crop the photo even less high, the perspective and the view do not change.

Then you shouldn't you be using 36^2 * 36^2 ?

Since there is some range in what can be perceived as "normal" on a 35 mm camera, 40 to 65 mm, your 35^2 * 35^2 will work, historically however, it is the diagonal of the image plane that is used.

In still photography, a normal lens is a lens whose focal length is roughly equivalent to the diagonal of the image projected within the camera. This roughly approximates the perspective perceived by the human vision.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Normal_lens

You probably need to get over there (and a few other places) and straighten things out. : )

http://www.shortcourses.com/choosing/lenses/10.htm#Focal length
http://photonotes.org/cgi-bin/entry.pl?id=Normallens
http://www.reference.com/browse/wiki/Normal_lens

Just a data point, the lens projects the image, so the lens mount diameter really doesn't have much to do with the size of the projected image at the sensor/film plane. My 5x7 view camera certainly doesn't have a 7" hole in the lensboard...

Correct, I have just never seen a 35 mm camera with an interior image area larger than the lens mount?

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
What was so hilarious? I guess you rather give a remark like this than to actually respond to the points and info I made an gave?

Because even when I DO start being anal and looking at graphs on sharpness, you dismiss them and TELL us what factors are important, what factors aren't important, as though these are "the truth." They're not absolute.

You actually do that often when you post here.

To be frank, corner sharpness is really the LAST thing that is important for what a 50mm lens will be used for. You should know that in portrait photos corner sharpness is not very important, ESPECIALLY in such shallow depth of field photos if you would actually use f1.4.

I don't use the 50 mm exclusively for portraits and will sometimes use it as a low light lens, so I care about corner sharpness whenever I don't use it for portraits. Example: I used the 50 mm during a BBQ and at the Nagoya Aquarium when travelling in Japan. Corner sharpness doesn't matter TO YOU at f/1.4, so you dismiss it as a factor. Not everyone uses it exclusively for portraits. Portraits were only brought up you in your last post, probably to make your point about corner sharpness being unimportant. I use it for portraits, but I also use it for other reasons, so I want sharp results throughout my photos.

Now...LET'S LOOK AT SOME PRETTY GRAPHS!!: (This will be the ONLY time I'll bother playing the numbers and graphs game with you. Full stop.):

Even at Photozone.de, which you said you trust (it's a site I like as well), the sharpness at the corners at f/1.4 are so low (1415!!) that it's unacceptable to me. When looking at Photozone.de's sharpness graphs, we both know what values the good lenses get, and what numbers the GREAT lenses get. Being familiar with their graphs, I believe that any lens that's sharper than 1850 is so sharp that it won't affect my photo even if it's not as sharp as another lens. The difference between 1900 and 2050 isn't going to be big (for example). Since any lens above 1850 is very sharp, get the one with HSM, or better build, better value, etc.

Anything lower than 1400 (ie: halfway between 1250 and 1550 on their scale) is too soft for me, while anything from 1550 - 1700 is very usuable.

The 50 mm f/1.8 at f/1.8 (wide open):
1690 at the centre.
1644 at the corners.

The 50 mm f/1.4 at f/1.4 (wide open):
1754 at centre.
1415 at the corners.

The difference along the centre (only 64 lw/ph) is negligible, but the corner sharpness is much different, with the 50 mm f/1.4 near my personal bottom limit from Photozone.de tests, as it's at an f-number I'll sometimes use.

I know corners are going to be softer than the centre. I'm obviously not completely anal about sharpness, as I'll make an exception for a very wide aperture lens that's nice for low light use, since it serves that function. But lets face it, it's soft at the corners, and is only as sharp as the 50 mm f/1.8 version at the centre. This is why I said the 50 mm f/1.8 is sharper when used wide-open. It is.

Fact is, the f1.4 is sharper and better than the f1.8, and what you claim, that many say the f1.4 is soft, is just not true.
I know MANY people with a 50mm f1.4, and no one complains it is soft.
And besides, SLRgear comfirms this, they even state that the lens is TACK sharp over most of its aperture range.

Yes, SLRGear did say that, but we're talking about WIDE-OPEN sharpness, and so my response was about shooting wide open, which was the topic of conversation. I never said the 50 mm f/1.4 isn't sharp at higher apertures.

Funny thing is that when comparing the two 50 mm models with both lenses set to f/1.8, the 50 mm f/1.8 is STILL better: :D

50 mm f/1.8 set at f/1.8 (wide open)

Centre = 1869
Corner = 1805

50 mm f/1.4 set at f/1.8 (NOT wide open)

Centre = 1861 (a tie)
Corner = 1580

And that SLRgear doesn't know how to reliably test lenses is not my problem. And maybe they had a damaged copy, if their copy was unsharp in the center.

If SLRGear's copy of the 50 mm f/1.4 was damaged, then how come the lens started to be so sharp when set at only f/2? I know that even with slightly damaged lenses, you can still get great results and "mask" the flaw by stopping down, but you'd usually stop down to f/5.6 or f/8 to really cover up a flaw. Are you saying that in this case, this "flaw" was fixed by simply stopping down from f/1.4 to f/2?

A lens that doesn't work properly at f/1.4 won't get great numbers at f/2 either, and yet it does.

But photozone.de actually does quite a good and careful job, and their findings most of the times match the results from the german photomagazine ColorFoto.
The fact that both photozone and ColorFoto come to the same assessments most of the time does show that photozone's test results are reliable.
I don't know about those two sites coming up to the same conclusion "most of the time", but have you ever take a statistics class? Three websites will test a total of 3 copies of a lens (usually).

Personally, I like all 3 sites. SLRGear doesn't do a bad job. And besides, I like looking at several review sites to see what I may end up with from a non-faulty lens from sample variance.

Their conclusion on the 50mm f1.4:
"The EF 50mm f/1.4 USM showed an almost flawless performance during the lab- and field-tests both in terms of optical and mechanical quality. If I had to list a few negative points it would be vignetting and low contrast at f/1.4. So if you're looking for a lens in this class the EF 50mm f/1.4 USM is a great option."

I never said that you woudn't be happy with the results, even at f/1.4. I know that f/1.4 isn't going to give me critical sharpness, and when I do use such wide apertures, sharpness isn't my concern -- light is.

I do not know about you, but in reality you would not use f1.4 very often.

If you wouldn't, then buy the f/1.8 version. :p Joking.

I would use the lens at f/1.4 in low light, but that's it. That IS one reason why people buy it, not just portraits.

And the lens is a very good lens, and very attractive for portrait photography.

You're right, it is a good lens for a wide aperture prime. They both are.

And in portrait photography, who cares about softer edges when you would actually be using f1.4! You subject is in the center.
Until you take a shot under low light that isn't a portrait photo.

Here a 200% crop of the Canon 50mm f1.4 on the edge (not the corner) on s 5D fullframe(!!). At f8 i believe.
Canon_fringing.jpg

And here a 200% crop from the Nikon 50mm f1.4 on APS-C (D200).
Nikon_fringing.jpg

http://www.digitalcamerainfo.com/co...o-Head-Review-/Performance--Image-Quality.htm

This shows the 50mm f1.4 Canon to perform well compared to the Nikon version... both in sharpness on its extreme edge (it was full frame) and in CA.

I never compared or tried/wanted to compare the Nikon, so it's a bit off-topic. The conversation was about shooting wide open, not at f/8. They're both sharp at f/2.8 and up.

From f/2.8 to f/8, both the Canon f/1.4 and f/1.8 models are sharp, the 50 mm f/1.4 being better at f/2.8, f/4, and f/5.6. At f/8, it's around the same. But again, you're comparing 2 sharp lenses at this point, so "meh."

And if you actually care to read what real users have to say about it, you would know it is a very good lens. If you shift through the "reviews" on fredmiranda for instance, and discard the worthless "reviews", you will find it to be a very well liked lens.
http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/showproduct.php?product=29&sort=7&cat=2&page=3

I never said it wasn't good or well liked.

And which "worthless" reviews? :confused:

coldrain

macrumors regular
Dec 20, 2006
And which "worthless" reviews? :confused:
Worthless reviews like a guy saying the lens is a very good lens optically, but 50mm is not a lenght he can use (too long indoors), and therefore gives it a 6.

Get real dude, you are testing a 50mm lens.

Or a guy who bought it for indoor action sports. Saying "May be a decent lens, but not at all for what I needed." and giving it a 3.

That is the kind of worthless "reviews" you have to skip on fredmiranda (and other user "review" sites).

And about why i say it may be defective (SRLgear): On fredmiranda you will find a "review" where a guy dropped the lens, and sending it in for repair twice. After that he reports it as being sharp at f1.4.

What is and what was the point: The Canon f1.4 version is a better lens than the f1.8 version, and that is why Canon shooters much more often go for the f1.4 version than the Nikon shooters, where the f1.4 version has little advantage over the f1.8 version. And that is just reality.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
And about why i say it may be defective (SRLgear): On fredmiranda you will find a "review" where a guy dropped the lens, and sending it in for repair twice. After that he reports it as being sharp at f1.4.

Riiiiight. ;)

So SLRGear must have started testing of the Canon 50 mm f/1.4 using a damaged copy, got resolution results at f/1.4 and f/2 that are worse than the 50 mm f/1.8. After that, they sent it in to get it fixed, and continued testing it from f/2.8 and up.

That's the only logical explanation.

*cough*

What is and what was the point: The Canon f1.4 version is a better lens than the f1.8 version, and that is why Canon shooters much more often go for the f1.4 version than the Nikon shooters, where the f1.4 version has little advantage over the f1.8 version. And that is just reality.

No, what is and was the point is that the Canon 50 mm f/1.8 is sharper than the Canon 50 mm f/1.4 when used wide open. The 50 mm f/1.4 isn't even as sharp when set to an aperture of f/1.8, which isn't even wide open anymore. This was taken from Photozone.de, a website you referred to in one of your previous replies and said was more trustworthy than SLRGear.

THAT is the point.

People buy the Canon 50 mm f/1.4 for the same reasons people buy the Nikon 50 mm f/1.4..........they want it more. Not everyone buys a lens based on graphs on a website. Some have heard others say they're happy with their lens, and that's usually good enough ---- no comparisons involving graphs required.

Some people want the f/1.4 lens because they can afford to pay double for whatever benefit there is to get it, whether it's 2/3rds of a stop or not. After all, so what if there's an $80-100 price difference if you already have $10000 worth of photography equipment?

cgratti

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2004
Central Pennsylvania, USA
Save your $$ up and get a good lens.

My suggestons:

50mm 1.4
85mm 1.8
28-105mm USM II

all are about $325.

Don't buy cheap glass, you will regret it and end up selling it for better stuff in a year.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.