Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JDDavis

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 16, 2009
I appreciate all the comments. It's an interesting read and I'm learning something here. Like most have said, there is a miniscule amount of DOF when I was shooting at f/1.8 only 2ft from the subject. As others have said this is probably not really needed (the large aperture). Also to get anything out of these settings (as others have suggested) I'd be better off shooting in a more controlled environment (tripod, focus rail...)

I do really appreciate the help. I like the 50mm. I think it takes some great portraits and is really sharp at the right aperture (3.2 to 5.6 from my experience). I think it's pretty fickle when trying to use it for small subjects and close in stuff. But that's probably not what it's meant for.

Went back to the daffodils today to give it another shot and though I think these are better there still not great. I'm learning though.:rolleyes:

First one is f/4.5, 1/80, ISO 200, and about 4 feet from the subject and then cropped in. The second one is f/2.2, 1/1000, ISO 200, and again about 4ft from the subject. I was just trying to see if I could do better with the large aperture. These are better than yesterday but not the best. :eek:

Attachments

• _DSC6184.jpg
    _DSC6184.jpg
    515.5 KB · Views: 74
  • _DSC6174.jpg
    _DSC6174.jpg
    449.4 KB · Views: 50

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
sorry that this doesnt help...
but how on earth did you shoot that first picture at iso 100 at 1/4000!? did you use an off camera flash? really bright sun?

That sounds about right....

The f/8 rule would indicate a starting point of 125/sec at 100 iso at f/8. Adjust the shutter and the apertures and you get 2000/sec at f/2 (and one stop different than the actual exposure) Open the aperture that little bit more - to f/1.8, and now the exposure is less than 1 stop different than the estimated exposure. Add the white reflecting walls, and the exposure is bang on the "rule of thumb" f/8 rule prediction. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.