Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

natepdx92

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 28, 2015
Portland, OR
Here are few that I want:

Xfinity TV (and other providers)

Amazon Video

TNT

TBS

TruTV

CW

Spike

Starz Play

Encore Play

MaxGo

BBC America

FOX Sports Go

Spotify

iHeart Radio

Sling TV

Similar to how NFL Network is integrated with the NFL app, I want:

NBA TV integrated with NBA app

MLB Network integrated with MLB app

NHL Network integrated with NHL app

From Apple:

Podcast

Maps

Calendar App

Facetime App (with purchase of an external FaceTime camera)

Better Photo app

Better continuity with other iOS devices:

Have the option to show incoming messages, calls, emails in a notification on the tv screen

Have the ability to reply to messages and calls

Maybe other notifications (such as social media, sports, calendar events)

Also: Twitter and Facebook apps

LiveM

macrumors 65816
Oct 30, 2015
Web browser,
email,
Facebook,
Video clip player which allows you to set a start and end point for each video so you don't have to edit them,
Alarm clock,
Calendar,
Airport utility,
Messaging & Facetime,
Maps,
Major attractions

MacFanBoi

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2009
Im actually pretty happy with what i've got already with the main two being netflix and plex which is just about everything I use it for. I would like to see a disney app for watching all of disney's movies and series.

As for other things like web browsing and emails and stuff like that I really can't see the point in those because most people would have phones or tablets probably sitting right next to them already and with the remote being used as a input device it would be a major pain in the ass. If they use the remote app on the phone or tablet then its sort of silly using the phone or tablet to type something in when they could just as easily browse on the tablet or phone instead. Facetime with an optional camera would be an interesting addition though I wouldn't use it since I've never bothered to facetime with anyone but could be useful for others.

LiveM

macrumors 65816
Oct 30, 2015
As for other things like web browsing and emails and stuff like that I really can't see the point in those because most people would have phones or tablets probably sitting right next to them already and with the remote being used as a input device it would be a major pain in the ass.

If they use the remote app on the phone or tablet then its sort of silly using the phone or tablet to type something in when they could just as easily browse on the tablet or phone instead.

This misses the point though: we shouldn't need another device, or to use such a small screen or non-hardware keyboard unless we want to. There is no reason to disable keyboard support or Webkit other than greed.

m11rphy

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2009
Discovery Channel is the one I really want Fox Sports Go would be good as well

tanfan

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2015
Amazon instant, UV compatible apps like Vudu, M-Go, cinema now, Flixster.... UltraFlix would be great too but, 4K won't work on this box anyway. And if Apple gave up on doing their own, then Sling TV.

JeffPerrin

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2014
A-list FPS shooters. ie: Battlefield, C.O.D, Star Wars, etc.

But what really needs to happen is an Apple TV "gaming edition" featuring an official Apple gaming remote. "One-click" games like Crossyroad are great from brief moments of entertainment, but gain little benefit from a big screen and the novelty wears off quickly. Apple needs to entice A-list game devs to jump on board - serious gaming is what will keep ATV above and ahead of all the other streaming boxes.

//

Reactions: ButteryScrollin

magearden

macrumors newbie
Sep 3, 2015
I'm pretty excited about VLC coming to the Apple TV I have high hopes for this one.

Others I want to see are

- Spotify
- Instagram
- the TV Guide app
- IMDB
- Flixster
- Facebook and Twitter (social feeds)
- an updated Netflix app (with categories, etc)
- Fantastical
- Flipboard
- and an updated YouTube app (with the ability to favourite, like, add to playlist, etc)

Other apps I'd like to see but probably will never happen are ...

Hulu (for Canadians)
and Safari (or other third party browser)

Last edited:

HoiPiet

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2015
Spectre VR!!!!

more news like BBC and Deutsche Welle, the Animal Planet group of channels, and how about the Korean baseball league?

cmcclure88

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2014
Mostly just Amazon and VUDU but I don't use those two all that often and my TV has those apps (and they're 4K capable) so I'm alright for the time being.

Definitely would be interested in more apps from cable channels like TNT, TBS, Spike, VH1 etc.

d21mike

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2007
Torrance, CA
Amazon Prime
Time Warner Cable App (for other family households)
FIOS Mobile (for my house)
Apple TV Service (unknown for mow)

More competition for commercial free content like Hulu.
I like CBS All Access but prefer commercial free option.

applezulu

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2015
Weather radar. I'd like to see some sort of full-screen weather radar, either as a stand-alone app, or as part of a weather app. It seems almost mysterious that someone hasn't been right out of the gate with this, given the huge supply of radar apps for iOS.

Reactions: WigWag Workshop

Hookemfins

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2013
Florida
Would love to see a full screen interactive Weather Radar, maybe integrated with NOAA website. Fox Sports Ohio without a cable subscription even if a monthly fee - so me lady can watch CBJ Hockey games.

You could send email to support@basevelocity.com for them to develop RadarScope for ATV 4. Now that is a $10 app on for iPhone or iPad but well worth it IMO.

NHL games are governed by NHL Center Ice and not by RSN's. There are shows available on the Fox Sports Go App for the local RSN's but MLB and NHL are blackout for the local area. There is a rumor that for the '16 MLN season there will be a lifting of the local blackout on MLB.TV only to those with a satellite/cable subscription.

ajforbes20

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2011
USA
Definetly need the VUDU app, and would love to see amazon video! Has anyone heard if these are in development?

applezulu

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2015
Definetly need the VUDU app, and would love to see amazon video! Has anyone heard if these are in development?

Hadn't really thought about it 'til now, but I can see why Amazon's app creates a singular challenge. If it were fully functional (from Amazon's perspective) on ATV, it would create a direct challenge to Apple's revenue stream. In addition to the "Amazon Prime" function being similar to Netflix, it would also mimic Apple's own TV and movie catalogs.

As it appears on iOS, Amazon's app is partially hobbled. If you want to rent or purchase a movie or TV show that's not included for free as part of your Amazon Prime subscription, you have to go to a website version of Amazon.com and make the purchase or rental there and add it to your Amazon library. Only then can you play it through the iOS Amazon app. This arrangement came about because purchasing or renting digital content through an iOS app is considered an 'in-app purchase,' which must be processed through the app store, where Apple will take its cut of the transaction. Amazon isn't going to give up that percentage, and so their iOS app requires the transactions to happen via amazon.com. This was an acceptable workaround to both parties, because watching video content on phones and tablets is still a niche market.

It's a different ballgame on ATV. You can use Siri to search up content, and it will tell you if it's available via Apple, and also via your Netflix or Hulu subscriptions. This is o.k., because that content was purchased (rented, really) via the Hulu or Netflix subscription, and a lot of revenue-generating content is only available via Apple's library.

For Amazon, ATV's Siri search could function the same way in a TVOS app for their Amazon Prime content, but what about all that other stuff that they have available for individual rent or purchase? Amazon undoubtedly wants that stuff to be just as easily searched and procured as is Apple's own competing library. Amazon would still not be interested, however, in letting go of the 30% cut for what Apple would consider to be an 'in-app purchase' of digital content.

So there you have the impasse. Apple's not going to let Amazon use the ATV platform to compete directly without handing over a percentage of sales. Amazon's not going to provide an app that makes it too easy for their customers to have their Prime content while giving up the digital foot traffic for purchases and rentals to Apple's library. It's better for Amazon if their Prime customers have to switch to a different device to use a fully functional Amazon TV app, because they'll be more likely to also spend money on other content while they're there.

So that's a long answer to speculate that you'll not likely see an ATV Amazon app any time soon.

ajforbes20

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2011
USA
Hadn't really thought about it 'til now, but I can see why Amazon's app creates a singular challenge. If it were fully functional (from Amazon's perspective) on ATV, it would create a direct challenge to Apple's revenue stream. In addition to the "Amazon Prime" function being similar to Netflix, it would also mimic Apple's own TV and movie catalogs.

As it appears on iOS, Amazon's app is partially hobbled. If you want to rent or purchase a movie or TV show that's not included for free as part of your Amazon Prime subscription, you have to go to a website version of Amazon.com and make the purchase or rental there and add it to your Amazon library. Only then can you play it through the iOS Amazon app. This arrangement came about because purchasing or renting digital content through an iOS app is considered an 'in-app purchase,' which must be processed through the app store, where Apple will take its cut of the transaction. Amazon isn't going to give up that percentage, and so their iOS app requires the transactions to happen via amazon.com. This was an acceptable workaround to both parties, because watching video content on phones and tablets is still a niche market.

It's a different ballgame on ATV. You can use Siri to search up content, and it will tell you if it's available via Apple, and also via your Netflix or Hulu subscriptions. This is o.k., because that content was purchased (rented, really) via the Hulu or Netflix subscription, and a lot of revenue-generating content is only available via Apple's library.

For Amazon, ATV's Siri search could function the same way in a TVOS app for their Amazon Prime content, but what about all that other stuff that they have available for individual rent or purchase? Amazon undoubtedly wants that stuff to be just as easily searched and procured as is Apple's own competing library. Amazon would still not be interested, however, in letting go of the 30% cut for what Apple would consider to be an 'in-app purchase' of digital content.

So there you have the impasse. Apple's not going to let Amazon use the ATV platform to compete directly without handing over a percentage of sales. Amazon's not going to provide an app that makes it too easy for their customers to have their Prime content while giving up the digital foot traffic for purchases and rentals to Apple's library. It's better for Amazon if their Prime customers have to switch to a different device to use a fully functional Amazon TV app, because they'll be more likely to also spend money on other content while they're there.

So that's a long answer to speculate that you'll not likely see an ATV Amazon app any time soon.

I really don't see the difference between amazon having an iOS app and them having an appletv app. They could have the exact same functions. I just want the Prime videos available on my appletv without having to airplay. What's the difference?

tanfan

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2015
I really don't see the difference between amazon having an iOS app and them having an appletv app. They could have the exact same functions. I just want the Prime videos available on my appletv without having to airplay. What's the difference?

Amazon settled on a neutered (watch prime only) app on ios to avoid paying Apple tax (or because Apple refused the full app) ....because it's only for mobile... but they want their full app which is like itunes.....they want you to be able to rent and purchase from them, and have prime access as a side benefit. Apple tv is for your tv , they want the full app if they are going to do it...imo

ajforbes20

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2011
USA
But
Amazon settled on a neutered (watch prime only) app on ios to avoid paying Apple tax (or because Apple refused the full app) ....because it's only for mobile... but they want their full app which is like itunes.....they want you to be able to rent and purchase from them, and have prime access as a side benefit. Apple tv is for your tv , they want the full app if they are going to do it...imo
But we all know they never will do it with the apple tax, so just give me the neutered version!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.