Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

avro707

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010
I finished reading:

TWR and Jaguars V12 Prototype Sports Cars: Inside TWR's World Championship Winning Team​

By Allan Scott (NZ). He was the engine designer for those amazing machines. Awesome 7.0L 755hp V12 engines. Incredibly clever engineering too.

Great book. Tom Walkinshaw seemed like a very tough person as well. But he got the results.

Before that finished reading Quicksilver Century by Karl Ludvigsen. My copy is signed by Mr Ludvigsen. He is a great author.

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
9781644450154.jpg

Boil

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2018
Stargate Command
While it’s aged a bit I like Fountainhead better. I found Atlas Shrugged a bit to too didactic from my tastes.

Using fancy words (didactic) but cannot use the proper choice of to, too, or two...! ;^p

Also, unless I am missing some inside joke in relation to the whole Hitchhiker's Guide series, 6 x 9 = 53, not 42; what you want is 6 x 7...?

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
I just read Annie Jacobsen's "Nuclear War: A Scenario." Quick summary...a paranoid North Korean launches three nukes at the US (one hits Point Diablo nuclear power plant in CA, another hits Washington DC.) The third malfunctions. The US responds with 50 ICBMs and 8 SLBMs (submarine launched) towards North Korea. The Russians pick up these launches and due to their crappy satellite surveillance and even worse algorithms, they believe the ICBMs are in the hundreds and aimed at them, so they launch a full 1000 warhead counterstrike at the US. So the US has no choice but to fire 350 ICBMs and a bunch of SLBMs at Russia.

The only book in a looong time that I read from start to finish in one night. Couldn't put it down.

chmania

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2023
Am currently immersed in the rather disturbing, deeply troubling, profoundly unsettling, quite compelling (and utterly excellent, a superbly researched book): "Putin's People: How The KGB Took Back Russia And Then Took On The West" by Catherine Belton (who hails from the FT).

A must read.
Alright, I'll read it too. Let's see if Catherine Belton could change my thoughts on "correspondents" in other countries, who profess to know the internal workings of a given country.

Reactions: pachyderm

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Alright, I'll read it too. Let's see if Catherine Belton could change my thoughts on "correspondents" in other countries, who profess to know the internal workings of a given country.
Read it, and let me know what you think of it.

Personally, (and I have read extensively on this subject matter), I thought it (or, rather, think it) excellent.

Richard8655

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
Chicago suburbs
Am currently immersed in the rather disturbing, deeply troubling, profoundly unsettling, quite compelling (and utterly excellent, a superbly researched book): "Putin's People: How The KGB Took Back Russia And Then Took On The West" by Catherine Belton (who hails from the FT).

A must read.
Sounds like excellent reading. Always had keen interest in Eastern European events and history. As we have seen, a former KGB colonel has had profound (and disturbing) impact there. Will look for this title.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Sounds like excellent reading. Always had keen interest in Eastern European events and history. As we have seen, a former KGB colonel has had profound (and disturbing) impact there. Will look for this title.
I used to teach the history of central and eastern Europe and Russia, and have also worked (extensively) in that region as an international election observer, hence I am reasonably familiar with the subject matter: In any case, I cannot recommend this (exceptionally well informed and well researched) work highly enough.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.