Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Atomicfission92

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 18, 2009
I finally picked up a second lens for my G1 and my camera bag is now way to small. Any suggestions for a decently priced bag that can hold a good amount of items?

I was looking for something that can hold my camera body, about 2-3 lens, a flash, extra battery, some filters and some other odds and ends.

I guess this Thread sort of took a life of its own, so lets continue with the subject of it. What do you use and why?

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
I just bought a Lowepro Flipside 200, which fits my XSi plus grip and large-ish zoom, three additional lenses, a host of filters, and a few other small accessories. I think it's the perfect size, striking just the right balance between comfort and convenience. I also really like that it is completely theft-proof and is accessible while being worn (you just swing it around while the waistband is fastened and it hangs before you like a table).

keith204

macrumors newbie
Apr 10, 2009
The Lowepro Slingshot AW 300 and the Crumper 7 million dollar home have served me very well.

Ryan1524

macrumors 68020
Apr 9, 2003
Canada GTA
Crumpler. One of the small messengers that takes two lenses and a body with a lens attached. Or sometimes an old shirt in my Chrome bag. :)

FX120

macrumors 65816
May 18, 2007
My gear lives in hard cases most of the time, the only bag I own is a Tamrac Adventure 9.

LittleCanonKid

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2008
Am I the only one who just uses a small, normal backpack? Most of the time my camera's slung around my neck, and I just need to carry a couple of lenses around. If I do put it in the backpack, I just put it in without doing anything special. If it's the biggest lens I use, the 70-200 f/4L, that's mounted, I just slip the lens pouch over it and slide it in. Not much to it! :eek:

hogfaninga

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2008
Chestnut Tree Cafe
and my first choice (and only choice lately) are Kata bags. Built like tanks and very durable. Plus they look good and not everyone has one like the Lowepro (which a lot of people have because they are sold everywhere--they are good also, but I found Kata better built).

northernmunky

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2007
London, Taipei
I'm happy with this nice simple one from Hong Kong to house my 1000D, was only a £9 with free shipping. (not that I'm cheap or anything..... ;))

CC-Gallery8C.jpg

BertyBoy

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2009
You'll need to slim down your choices by choosing either a backpack or a shoulder bag first, whatever suits you.

Looked at some of the Lowepro backpacks and Slingshot bags recently, tried them, too slow for access, for me anyway.

Tried a few Lowepro Nova shoulder bags, 160AW and 180AW, Nice bags but too small if you have any larger lenses, like my Nikon 70-300. Close fit in the 180, but I also have a Sigma 300.

Then tried he Lowepro Stealth Reporter D100 and D300.

In the end with a lot of chat about old cameras and their adventures and a bit of haggling, I managed to get the Stealth Reporter D300 for the price of the Nova 160AW. I asked for some discount, he gave me 22% off, made it cheaper than any web price I saw, and I learned a few things too, he was a pro Canon owner, but knew his Nikons too.

Great shoulder bag, small from the outside, light, comfortable, more space inside than you'll ever need (sounds like my old Alfa Romeo 146), if you filled it out with lenses and cameras, it'll be too heavy.
Currently holds a Nikon D300, Nikon 28-70DX, Nikon 70-300VR, Sigma 300, batteries, hoods, polarisers, UV filters, D300 manual, Canon Ixus 60, notepad and pens, cleaning kit, and there's still room for a water bottle and snacks and more, even my old D100 and it's batteries.
Fast access slot on the top and shoulder strap and carry handle attach to the side of the bag, so you can pick it up without zipping / clipping it shut and nothing will fall out.

Glad I chose it over something that was a tight fit, I have a cupboard full of high quality camera bags that I had to ditch as soon as I bought a new lens, or a slightly bigger camera.

Artful Dodger

macrumors 68020
and my first choice (and only choice lately) are Kata bags. Built like tanks and very durable. Plus they look good and not everyone has one like the Lowepro (which a lot of people have because they are sold everywhere--they are good also, but I found Kata better built).

I also like the Kata line and I currently have the R-103 and it fits my needs just fine. I have my D50 with 18-200mm in the main area and the kit lens 18-55mm and the 50mm lens with battery charger, usb cable and my iBook cords on hand as well in the side compartments. Not to mention the nice tripod carrier that comes with it. You can also buy extra dividers that you can cut to your desired length to customize the bag even more.
I have to add that I have a larger shoulder/chest than some and this bag adjusts really well to my build without feeling crammed or restricted when moving around even with a coat and vest on in the colder months.
Last it is built with military grade nylon, tuff shell and comes with a weather shield to place over it during rain/dust or really hot sun.
I'm currently looking for the add on bag that attatches to the bottom of this bag for carrying odds and ends so adding to the bag is also a nice feature to have.
Good luck :)

Atomicfission92

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 18, 2009
Thanks for all the replies. I am still searching around for the perfect pack but for now I went to BestBuy and they had the Lowepro Nova 170 AW on clearance for half price. So I got the $70 bag for $35 minus a couple coupons I had. I think it will work for the time being as I gradually build up my lens collection and fine tune my shooting style.

I definitely like the looks of the Crumpler 6 million dollar bag. Looks nice and roomy and stylish as well.

I'm not soon keen on getting a back pack style bag just cause it seems like they can weigh a lot when they are fully packed with gear, not to mention a lot more gear to get stole or lost if you loose your bag if you have it fully loaded.

Kronie

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2008
This is a useful site:
http://cambags.com/

I have three.

One big Tamrac Pro 12 that holds just about all of my gear. I basically use it for storage as I don't usually bring everything anywhere.

I also have a LowePro Microtrekker. This is a great bag for a body and a few lenses. Day hikes, weekend trips, that type of thing.

And a Tamrac Zoom 7 Holster Bag which is great for the 40D and either the 10-22 or the 17-55.

Atomicfission92

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 18, 2009
This is a useful site:
http://cambags.com/

I also have a LowePro Microtrekker. This is a great bag for a body and a few lenses. Day hikes, weekend trips, that type of thing.

That bag looks great. Just searched for it on the Lowepro website. I think it may change my mind about the backpack style bags. It looks like it can hold enough gear to get you through a days worth of shooting yet still small enough to not be heavy cause you can't load everything you own into it. I am going to have to check that bag out in person, Just gotta find it some place close to me.

AxisOfBeagles

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2008
Top of the South
I have a Tamrac Expedition 7. It's a monster of a backpack, but holds safely and securely tow bodies, 4 lenses (including a huge super-tele), and a myriad of filters, batteries, cleaning equip, etc. I can strap the tripod to the outside of the pack, and am set for long hikes.

If I'm ust taking a walk in the city, or going somewhere that I know exactly what I need, I take either of a couple small shoulder bags.

opo101

macrumors member
Apr 9, 2008
I just got a Lowepro Fastpack 250. Very nice backpack, with space for my 15' MacBook Pro too!

oblomow

macrumors 601
Apr 14, 2005
Netherlands
I just got a Lowepro Fastpack 250. Very nice backpack, with space for my 15' MacBook Pro too!

It's a great backpack. The belt is a bit of a waste ( for me at least). But the laptop space is also great for storing books, magazines, papers.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
A great bag at a great price.

The problem with the Nova series is that even the Nova 190 AW is too thin for a some lenses + stuff if one of them is an FX f/2.8 zoom (at least a Nikon 17-35).

The Rezo 190 AW is slightly better in this respect. Just a little bit wider allows the f/2.8 to fit well side by side with a smaller lens.

jrm27

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2008
I use a homemade DIY bag that I formed from a canvas messenger bag I got off ebay, a soft cooler (the size of a six pack), and and old camping mat. Really nice, flexible and unassuming! Less than $20.

britincan

macrumors member
I use a Brian's Hot Tub by Crumpler. It's very comfortable and cavernous and prior to the last hand luggage restrictions I managed to squeeze it onto a UK - Canada flight in the overhead compartment. I can easily fit a 5D, 40D, 70-200, 17-40, Sigma 12-24, 50, Flash and batteries plus a 17" Powerbook. I like it because it doesn't shout out photographer, but more like backpacker. It's also very secure as the only way into it is by taking it off, because the zip is on the back of the bag not the front away from any pickpocketers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.