Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Knomad

macrumors newbie
Dec 24, 2008
North Coast, California
I use three different Domke bags, depending on the purpose. Most of the time it's a messenger bag which has three compartments for camera gear, a place for my laptop, and a couple of accessory pouches, but it's still compact and light and doesn't scream "camera bag." Then I have two larger and more conventional bags that I really only use when needing to carry more than one camera on extended travel.

Domke bags are low-key, durable, and minimalist, probably best suited to those with a journalism or documentary style because that's what they were originally designed for. The metal clip-style closures can be a pain though (literally) in cold weather. Not really a problem here on the coast, but it might be in other places.

Benguitar

Jan 30, 2009
I use this Canon camera bag.

canon200dg.jpg

Kebabselector

macrumors 68030
May 25, 2007
Birmingham, UK
I'm going to have a look at this tomorrow......

18-2123-IMG1_LRG.jpeg

It's a Lowepro Classified 250AW. It claims to hold.....
1-2 professional DSLRs with 70-200 f/2.8 lens attached plus 2-3 additional lenses or flash, plus 1 widescreen notebook up to 15.4" (most models)

I will take my kit and try it tomorrow. Cos I need it to hold a Macbook, 2 bodies, 4 lens, 2 flashes and other small bits.

Failing this I'll probably end up with a Stealth Reporter 550 or 650, depends how much I can cram in.

RHVC59

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2008
Eugene, Oregon
Currently using a Lowepro CompuTrekker Plus AW Camera Backpack.
It is a very comfortable backpack that holds my D80, several lenses, lunch, 15" MBP, spare hard disks, SD chips, and a monopod or tripod, etc. It is well padded and quite configurable inside with velcro. It is a bit of a tank tho.

Attachments

• 31R67PYDN9L._SS400_.jpg
    31R67PYDN9L._SS400_.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 68

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
That bag looks great. Just searched for it on the Lowepro website. I think it may change my mind about the backpack style bags. It looks like it can hold enough gear to get you through a days worth of shooting yet still small enough to not be heavy cause you can't load everything you own into it. I am going to have to check that bag out in person, Just gotta find it some place close to me.

Ok, I didn't realize we were supposed to tell you what we had, only what we thought was best for you.

I still think the Lowepro Slingshot 200 is good for what you own. I own one, but I've also had a really small Lowepro Nova (OK if you only want to carry your camera and 2 lenses (including one attached to the camera), and a Crumpler Sinking Barge (not great).

I don't own the Sinking Barge anymore. I literally threw it into the trash at Sydney International Airport because I was over the baggage allowance, and the bag weighs over 3 lbs when it's empty. :D It also wasn't particularly comfy, and I didn't want to pay the airport just so that I could keep it. Instead, I threw out the backpack, and took my empty Lowepro Slingshot 200 and regular "school" backpack out of my suitcase, put my lenses into the Slingshot, and put the Slingshot into my regular backpack. I had to do it this way to get all my stuff onboard the airplane.

I'm getting this very very soon.

costabunny

macrumors 68020
May 15, 2008
Weymouth, UK
I use a Tenba Shootout medium (fits all my gear and Macbook pro and still is allowed on as carry on luggage)

(for note I have D700 Gripped, F5, 70-200 f2.8, 300mm, 14-24 f2.8, 24-70f2.8, SB900, SB800 and a 50mm f1.4 (plus chargers, filters and other widgets)- the whole lot weighs in at 14Kg in the bag so I dont always take it all.

The bag is very well sealed against weather and is comfy to carry.

The centre part is removable so I can use as a rucksack if needed (Which is why I chose it over the Lowepro's)

The pockets at the sides have pass-through into the main compartment and are handy.

http://www.tenba.com/products/Shootout-Medium-Backpack.aspx

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.