Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
You probably won't hear much about this camera, but it has one GREAT feature, the most important one I think, the Carl Zeiss lens is AMAZING and you can find these used for cheap.

In the original dpreview.com review of the sony this stands out:

"Superb 24 - 120 mm F2.8 - F4.8 lens is worth the $999 alone"

Several other pages pointed to the fact that to get similar quality from Canon or Nikon you would pay at least $1,500 just for lenses (no body). And now these can be had for $500 or so...

Perhaps, but Zeiss will licence their design work and name to anyone these days. It's becoming less of a distinction and more of a commodity.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
If yo want best bang per buck, buy a new body and a used lens (or two used lenses) The technology inside the dSLR body is changing fast and a one generation old body is dated already. But optics is a mature technology and is not moving so fast. there are many very old lenses that are as good as new ones. A 10 year old lens is not even "old".
The used pro-quality lenses are good investments and can be sold again for nearly what you paid. They last "forever". Canon and Nion both have robust second hand markets, stuff is easy to find. Used kit lenses are a great bang to buck ratio too because they are hard to sell the price is low. The Nikon kit 18-55 lens is very good, Canon's is kind of cheap

There are exception to the don't buy a used ody rule. If you could find a Nikon D50 for $400 or less it wouod be a good deal and they are not to hard to find, if you can wait. The D50 is still current generation technology

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
If you really want the most bang for your buck, it's not going to be Nikon or Canon. Pentax and Olympus offer better value and more features.

Agreed. Pentax offers a better camera + decent kit lenses for less money. ;)

You can say the same about Olympus, but if you want to buy more lenses, I find their lenses are expensive.

Pentax has lots of lenses, but I think you'll be limited in terms of where you can buy them. However, if you plan on shopping online at massive, trustworthy stores like B&H, it wouldn't be difficult to buy a Pentax lens, so I think the whole "Nikon and Canon lenses are more readily available" argument is blown out of proportion. ;)

If you want best "Bang for your Buck", I say go with:

1. Pentax K100D or K100D super
2. Nikon D40
3. Pentax K10D
4. Nikon D40x

The Nikon D40s and D40x are great beginner cameras for people moving to digital.

Perhaps, but Zeiss will licence their design work and name to anyone these days. It's becoming less of a distinction and more of a commodity.

But supposedly, the lens on the R1 is ridiculously good. It's one of those lenses that would sell for the price of the R1 if it was sold separately by Nikon, Canon, Olympus, etc.

colorspace

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2005
bousozoku,

What you say re: CZ lenses may be true in general, but by all account the lens on the R1 is abolutely fantastic. I would love to a have a lens with this range on my Canon body. Sadly their is no such beast. Nor may there ever be, I suspect that not having a mirror/space (SLR) to contend with, allows for much of the optical benefit that traditional rangefinders have had in the past and that 3/4 systems have tried to build around.

kwajo.com

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
Bay of Fundy
To me, the best value in dSLRs these days is the Pentax K10D. For under $1k (I've seen $800) you get things like full weather sealing, built-in anti-shake, a very well built body, etc. that normally would force you to pay almost twice as much for a Canon or Nikon.

The K10D + DA 16-45mm SMC, is a terrific value and can produce photos rivaling the best dSLRs on the market.

miloblithe

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Washington, DC
To me, the best value in dSLRs these days is the Pentax K10D. For under $1k (I've seen $800) you get things like full weather sealing, built-in anti-shake, a very well built body, etc. that normally would force you to pay almost twice as much for a Canon or Nikon.

The K10D + DA 16-45mm SMC, is a terrific value and can produce photos rivaling the best dSLRs on the market.

Maybe, but Pentax lenses are expensive, and there is less selection among the 3rd party manufacturers.

dabirdwell

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2002
Oklahoma
Olympus gets my vote

You can pick up an E-500 or better at the price point you're talking about or less with a good lens or two.

The two kit lenses that come with the OLY SLRs are good performers if you use them the right way. Far better than the coke bottle Canon gives you with the Rebel or 20D etc. You could also get the excellent 14-54 F2.8 for about $400 to go with any of the bodies. I have to E-500 with the 14-54 and have been very happy with it. I've done both amateur and professional work with it.

If you really want to go against the grain for an awesome performer, you can get the 2003 Olympus E-1. It's their older professional body, and damn near indestructible. The pixel sites are huge because the sensor is only 5.5 Megapixel, and the enlargements are phenomenal because it approximates film grain so well and the colors and contrast are so classically Olympus punchy. I am thinking of selling my 8 Megapixel E-500 and getting the 5.5 Megapixel E-1.

Daeve

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2007
I would also not discount the Fuji series cameras. The camera world is not just Nikon or Canon to the open minded individual.

I agree to some extent - but having a larger user base for your camera is always a plus for support.

Plus try hiring a lens that's not Nikon or Canon - much harder (if not impossible in most camera shops) to find them as they are the market leaders by a long way.

Kirbdog

macrumors regular
Buy Used

Try find a used DSLR body. As a new generation of bodies are released there are plenty of people selling there older ones to pay for the latest and greatest.
A used Nikon D70s goes used for around $500 with the kit lens (18-70mm and it is a good lens). It is a far better camera than the D40 is.
Lenses hold there value, bodies do not. Buy used, people that buy DSLR cameras tend to take care of them very well. You dollar will go a lot farther.
I am not pushing Nikon, it just what I am familiar with.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
I agree to some extent - but having a larger user base for your camera is always a plus for support.

Plus try hiring a lens that's not Nikon or Canon - much harder (if not impossible in most camera shops) to find them as they are the market leaders by a long way.

Fuji uses Nikon lenses.

But the bodies are not cheap.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Try find a used DSLR body. As a new generation of bodies are released there are plenty of people selling there older ones to pay for the latest and greatest.
A used Nikon D70s goes used for around $500 with the kit lens (18-70mm and it is a good lens). It is a far better camera than the D40 is.
Lenses hold there value, bodies do not. Buy used, people that buy DSLR cameras tend to take care of them very well. You dollar will go a lot farther.
I am not pushing Nikon, it just what I am familiar with.

Yes, used D70s is preferable to new D40. NOT D70 (without "s") because of risk of BGLOD.

But a new K100D kit is cheaper and it has antishake. Given that you're saving quite a but of money, maybe thinking about which other lenses you might buy in the future is not so important and you might just switch if you want later.

netdog

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2006
London
Most bang for the buck? I would have to say this "Pentax"...

s123gun.gif

According to the description, it's a C.I.A. single-shot gun-camera (1966)
The Stinger is a single-shot re-loadable .22 magnum pen-gun, perhaps the single most popular weapon of the C.I.A. In 1966 the Stinger has been "swallowed" by an Asahi Pentax 35mm SLR and properly cocked via camera’s film advance lever. It shot by shutter release button breaking the lens elements in front of it. photo: CIA website

For me, a close second would have to be this Leica.

PhotoGun.jpg

You can read about it here.

Sadly, I couldn't afford the Red Dot, but I did have one of these Mattel Official Agent Zero camera guns as a kid.

snapshot2.jpg

snapshot1.jpg

Hope that helps!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.