Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hmac

macrumors 68020
May 30, 2007
Midwest USA
"Professional" camera appears to have a wide variety of definitions, but the general connotation is a camera with features and build quality that are commensurate with what one generally supposes the average professional photographer's needs, and that tends to first revolve around ruggedness/durability, since the average pro is generally presumed to be harder on his/her equipment than the average non-pro. Certainly I've seen it to be generally true that professional photographers look at their cameras as a tool by which they ply their trade. Non-pros have a tendency to wring their hands over every little scratch or acquired cosmetic defect (broadly generalizing here).

We can say that it's "any camera that a professional uses", but that doesn't reflect the reality of the various market segments.

Apple Ink

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2008
The question is not a matter of taste in a particular type of camera. Just because his taste is Canon, for example, doesn't mean we should not mention Hasselblad or Nikon, although he may not be interested in buying one of them.

In any case, all I was trying to say that your remark that any professional camera is a dslr is incorrect. And that is independent of whether the OP wants to buy a dslr or any other type of camera.

When I said 'taste' I meant the breed of camers to which he was referring!

Also, consider this:

You come to this forum and ask members to define a 'smartphone' and give an example of iPhone! So should I respond with palm, treo and the Q or a satellite phone?

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
You come to this forum and ask members to define a 'smartphone' and give an example of iPhone! So should I respond with palm, treo and the Q or a satellite phone?
All of them, with the possible exception of a satellite phones are smart phones. So, yes, I don't see a reason why you shouldn't bring them up. (Rangefinder cameras have already been brought up by someone else before.)

Apple Ink

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2008
I dont want to drag this but I have always, do and will always prefer to only respond with respect to the topic! I never wrote in my post that DSLRs are the ONLY pro cameras but since he was simply heading in that direction... I kindly pointed it out to him!

Im sorry if you think Ive made a mistake (which I certainly dont). My apologies!

P.S.: Current satellite phones can edit all Office files and mail and other stuff so I believe that it's fine! And my point was.... you expect something like iPhone when I define smartphone but some one suggests a sat phone!

costabunny

macrumors 68020
May 15, 2008
Weymouth, UK
In my experience a professionl DSLR is one which has a rugged build quality, can run on multiple power sources, has expert features like colour space selection and bit depth, shoots in RAW, and has a high quality sensor with low noise at higher ISO's

Thats my interpretation of the 'Pro' model anyways :)

(Thats why I use a D300 (used to use an EOS1 and F4s in my film days)

Edge100

macrumors 68000
May 14, 2002
Where am I???
I would think that the range of lenses available is one mark of difference between an amateur and a pro camera.

I can stick a an EF 400/F2.8L on a Rebel XT just as easily as I can stick it on a 1Ds mkIII.

That having been said, I agree that the lenses being used are a huge determinant of whether the results are "pro" or not.

tip

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2006
What makes the Canon XSi a consumer as opposed to the 40D and the 40D a semi-pro as opposed to the 1D Mark iii? The materials used to make the camera? the convenience of more buttons and ease of usability? Since consumer cameras are slowly reaching pro features, wont all SLR cameras one day be classified as standard for pro photography?

In a word: Marketing.

filmamigo

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto
I would say any "professional" not using a full-frame camera isn't taking his profession very seriously.

Sometimes you guys make me laugh.

apearlman is the only one who has it right. "Pro" has nothing to do with frame rate or sensor size, unless the professional behind the lens says so.

Check out Benjamin Kanarek.
http://www.pressbook.com/homebook.asp?owner_id=5144&langue_id=2&style_id=&admin=&guest=

Here's a world-class fashion photog, whose shots end up on magazine covers, billboards, posters... He's shooting Pentax (first K10D and now K20D.) Some people rule out these cameras because they don't have blazing fast frame rates. And they are APS-C cameras. But to Benjamin Kanarek, they are clearly professional.

Now, you can speak more meaningfully about amateur/professional inside one manufacturer's lineup. For Pentax, the K10D/K20D are targetted to pros. No wonky point-and-shoot modes, dual control dials. Of course, Pentax "amateur" SLRs have features that Nikon/Canon reserve for their professional models (weather sealing, mirror lockup, image stabilization.) So the lines are always blurry.

Don't forget that many professional photographers like to blur those lines. They will use any camera they want to achieve a look. Check out the work of David Burnett, who will use a Holga or an ancient Speed Graphic 4x5.
http://www.davidburnett.com/index.html

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
A lot of people say that glass matters more than the body. What makes the Canon XSi a consumer as opposed to the 40D and the 40D a semi-pro as opposed to the 1D Mark iii? The materials used to make the camera?

There is no such thing as a "pro" camera. No matter what people say. A pro-camera is any camera that a pro uses.

I know that there are quite a few (no, a great many) "professional" wedding photographers who use simple point and shoots. These people work at the low end and offer to do an entire wedding package, prints included for $50. They are "pros" because they do photography for money not because of their skill.

What Nikon and Canon do is offer cameras at various price points. They know that when people shop for a camera they pretend to do some kind of objective analysis but really they don't. They simply buy whatever they can afford. (They say "I've got $900, give me a $900 camera.") So they offer cameras for every budget. Professionals (some of them) simply have larger budgets or can justify spending more because the camera generate income.

jbernie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2005
Denver, CO
Two ways to view this:

1) Purely from a hardware perspective I would expect that cameras such as the Canon 1D series or Nikon D300 bodies with Canon L series or Nikon equivalent glass is the minimum setup that would be accepted as "Pro".

2) Any camera that is used to produce an image that is not for personal use. Horses for courses. Just because you used a P&S camera to get the image doesn't make it any less "pro" if the image is used for commercial purposes. It really comes down to how the image is used and what tools are available/practical at the time.

You probably wont get the shot for the freeway billboard with your 6mp P&S camera, but you may not be able to get a close up shot in a very tight environment with your DSLR if you can't even see the object you are trying to shoot.

Kebabselector

macrumors 68030
May 25, 2007
Birmingham, UK
There is no such thing as a "pro" camera. No matter what people say. A pro-camera is any camera that a pro uses.

Sums it up really, i've seen plenty of people with top models (D2/D3 1D/1DS etc) with no idea what they are doing. Though the positive side to this is, these people often get fed up and sell their 'pro kit' cos it's not good enough (hence good 2nd hand bargains!).

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
- Point & click white balance
- Dual card slots
- 100% viewfinder, nowadays.

So, the D700 fails.

jag0009

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2008
One more word, Sensor

Pro cameras like the D3 have a full 35mm sensor. Like a Nikon D50 with a 50mm f/1.8 is actually cropped to about 87mm and with a pro camera it is a full 50mm.

A pro camera can use a high ISO and have little noise which helps....

Some pro cameras also have an extra memory slot so some have a SD and a CF slot, or two CF slots...

Hope this helps.... There really are big differences between a $500 camera and a $5000 camera :cool:

Nope. Nikon D1(and x) and D2(and x) are pro cameras and they don't have fullframe.

pdechavez

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 26, 2007
I believe the new Nikon D700 is a budget oriented PRO camera since it has almost all the features of the D3 in a small package of the D300. Also it is 2000 dollars cheaper than the D3...

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
The only acceptable criterion to consider the D700 a pro camera is that it comes with Nikon PRO support.

atlanticza

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2008
Cape Town
A lot of people say that glass matters more than the body. What makes the Canon XSi a consumer as opposed to the 40D and the 40D a semi-pro as opposed to the 1D Mark iii? The materials used to make the camera? the convenience of more buttons and ease of usability? Since consumer cameras are slowly reaching pro features, wont all SLR cameras one day be classified as standard for pro photography?

Curse the day that someone or an ad agency coined the term "prosumer" - the same vociferous debate exists in digital video forums. If you sell your wares - and it's acceptable by magazine editors/TV stations, and it's your main source of income - then you're using a pro camera/video camera. Chances of sale are, however, more likely with an expensive kit. On the other hand, possessing a pro camera (and we do know what they are) will not guarantee an income, unless you are a pro yourself.

costabunny

macrumors 68020
May 15, 2008
Weymouth, UK
I believe the new Nikon D700 is a budget oriented PRO camera since it has almost all the features of the D3 in a small package of the D300. Also it is 2000 dollars cheaper than the D3...

Small? I wouldnt say the D300 chassis is small - its a lovely weighty, solid chassis, but small?

I cant use those iddy biddy DSLR's that seem to be popular these days. Keep worrying I am gonna break em! - thats why I love my D300. (Only reason I'd trade for a D3 would be for the full frame and less places for dust/moisture to creep in - (there is no seam around the 'grip'). Tho saying the D300 is pretty rugged in my experience (only had it for maybe 6 months)

Hey I am a girl and let me tell you that sometimes SIZE does matter ;)

Macanadian

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2006
BC

I took a course in Wedding photography a couple of months ago. The instructor's gear included a 12 megapixel Canon, 15 inch Mac Pro Laptop, CS2, zoom lens was 28-200'ish at F4 (not 2.8), 50mm macro lens and shot in jpg. The guy charges upwards of 10,000 per wedding.

Sure you can buy a Pro camera, but it takes practice, practice and practice.

monokakata

macrumors 68020
May 8, 2008
Ithaca, NY
rangefinders...a really long time ago (sixties) i was paying my rent by photography. i had a couple of Nikon F bodies, good Nikkor lenses. All very nice. But my girlfriend had a Leica M3 she inherited from her dad and i used to use it when i wanted to be unobtrusive. quiet, fast. didn't cartier-bresson favor rangefinder cameras? and the glass on that leica was amazing. in my darkroom i could see the kind of negatives the leica normal lens produced. edge to edge resolution, contast, wow. it beat my nikkors, though not by much. it was a real joy to print those negatives.

i guess i'm taking off on the implication that rangefinder = inferior camera. Maybe now, but definitely not then. Less versatile than an SLR, yes, but sometimes totally the Right Tool For The Job, which is what being a pro is all about, isn't it? Knowing which tool is the right one?

MacNoobie

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2005
Colorado
I think what classifies a pro camera as a pro camera is when it appeals to the professionals out there in terms of the features it offers and is actually designed by the company while listening to the pro's that use it.

pdechavez

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 26, 2007
Well, i realized somthing today that could at least classify it as a NON consumer camera. The fact that higher end DSLRs have no automatic modes like the portrait, sunset, macro, landscape and AUTO mode. Since more "EXPERIENCED" photographers know what to do, higher end DSLRs have eliminated all these auto modes.

What you guys think?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.