Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
Please tell me this doesn't work with old MF lenses?:eek: Do this relies in the lens or the body?

I have been using MF lenses for 5 months now and haven't ever used or heard about this feature (or if I did, I never got to put further attention to it).

I use it all the time in the studio when I've got the camera set on manual mode- I'd guess at worst it'd require the AF-D coupling, which is independent of the screwdriver focus motor- but I wouldn't be surprised to see it work with any lens- I've never thought about it and have used it since the day I bought a new 8008s on my Nikon bodies. In fact, I find the left and right arrows to be totally useful in manual mode. All my lenses are AF-D or AF-S, so I can't try it out on anything else, it works in manual mode with either of those though. If I've got my modeling lights set to track the strobe power settings and it's all turned down, the dot and triangles are often a bit better than my eye in the dark. The triangles tell you which way to turn the focus ring and the green dot means it's in focus.

Let us know if it works on all-manual lenses- it's probably not as convenient as changing to a split prism focusing screen, but it's a lot cheaper!

Cliff3

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2007
SF Bay Area
I'd guess at worst it'd require the AF-D coupling, which is independent of the screwdriver focus motor- but I wouldn't be surprised to see it work with any lens

It works with an old AI lens I brought me with me to Oz (lens was purchased in 1980 or so).

Jan 30, 2006
Let us know if it works on all-manual lenses- it's probably not as convenient as changing to a split prism focusing screen, but it's a lot cheaper!

It worked great. It didn't showed arrows, but it was definetely an amazing help with the 50mm. Nothing near to sharp focus, but it gives a good result for a small print maybe. I'll just keep practicing.

Again, thanks a lot for the info.

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
After using film cameras for years, including a Nikon F3 that I still have, I switched to digital four years ago. One thing I could not do again is to go back to film, not only because of the expense involved, but because of the slowness involved with the process. What you spend on processing film for a year or so, depending on how many photos you take, would be better spent on a digital SLR camera.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
It worked great. It didn't showed arrows, but it was definetely an amazing help with the 50mm. Nothing near to sharp focus, but it gives a good result for a small print maybe. I'll just keep practicing.

Again, thanks a lot for the info.

Looks like the D40 doesn't bracket the green dot with the triangles that serve as arrows on the higher-end bodies, but even with those, it takes some practice to nail the focus point and the dot- so I'm sure it'll get easier with time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.