Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FutureTechHope

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 26, 2010
I just hope it's not a bigger iphone that has a color e-reader. That would be lame.

Think of kids or seniors who are introduced to computers for the first time. They would probably do something similar like Scotty http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzRziK-kZtQ

This guy will be very important for anyone who loves technology, forward it to the 6:00 minute mark and watch http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrtANPtnhyg

Most people want motion detection, touch screen keyboard/mouse with voice activated commands, phone, free web, real time translator etc. It's 2010 already and people want technology to progress, save time with faster computers. In the past companies focused too much on selling accessories and most people hate that. The less material we carry the better(save environment) and we SAVE money. Wouldn't it be great if Apple created the best personal computer on a tablet. We would save so much space. No more wires or tendonitis.

FutureTechHope

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 26, 2010
After seeing the ipad info what do you think? http://mashable.com/2010/01/27/apple-ipad-price/
Apple should really push the envelop and push this product to be the future of computing. The things I noticed; no flash, no gps, no camera, no multitasking, no tethering, closed os and I have a feeling it will get pricey with AT&T and all those extra apps you pay for, 3G etc. So it might be a little pricey. I hope another company creates something similar with open source apps.

4DThinker

macrumors 68020
Mar 15, 2008
Nothing ground breaking. I've got the Archos 9 and with it's 16:9 screen the pop-up keyboard covers half the screen. I like the 2:3 screen better, and I'm sure they used that ratio to keep it the same as the Touch and iPhone. Yet I can multitask, run Office apps, and do basically everything the iPad does but run iPhone apps. My Touch will remain capable of that though so I'm not missing anything I can see. There are also several book reading apps available for Windows 7. I can also run iTunes on my 9 for music and movies.

I think they priced it right though. It had to be cheaper than a macbook, and more expensive than the Touch.

"iPad" was also predicatable, and will be the butt of jokes for a few weeks now. Anyone know if it has a speaker or two? External volume control?

FutureTechHope

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 26, 2010
Nothing ground breaking. I've got the Archos 9 and with it's 16:9 screen the pop-up keyboard covers half the screen. I like the 2:3 screen better, and I'm sure they used that ratio to keep it the same as the Touch and iPhone. Yet I can multitask, run Office apps, and do basically everything the iPad does but run iPhone apps. My Touch will remain capable of that though so I'm not missing anything I can see. There are also several book reading apps available for Windows 7. I can also run iTunes on my 9 for music and movies.

I think they priced it right though. It had to be cheaper than a macbook, and more expensive than the Touch.

"iPad" was also predicatable, and will be the butt of jokes for a few weeks now. Anyone know if it has a speaker or two? External volume control?
I just checked the Archos 9 and it looks really cool but does it cost a lot less than the ipad? How is the battery life on it?

Check out Pranav Mistry sixth sense technology on youtube. Probably the greatest invention I've seen in a long time.

4DThinker

macrumors 68020
Mar 15, 2008
I just checked the Archos 9 and it looks really cool but does it cost a lot less than the ipad? How is the battery life on it?
It comes with a 60gb HD for $549. You can get the 16gb iPad for $499. 32gb for $599, and 64gb for $699. I believe SSHD is a better choice for such devices.

The 9's battery is rated at 5 hours, and I find that's pretty accurate. You can remove it and use a backup if you want to. Archos has the batteries for sale.

I prefer the UI of my iPod Touch, and suspect I'd prefer the iPad. The Archos 9 runs Windows 7 though and will run any windows apps. It will multitask. Any web browsers (IE, Chrome, Safari, etc.) you use with it support Flash. It doesn't have a g-sensor, but you can toggle the screen sideways if you want. Not easy though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.