Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kashik

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 16, 2008
Anyone have an idea which one will best show the performance we can expect to get out of the MBA?

I was guessing the E6300 but only because the clock speeds are similar. Is there anyone with a good deal of knowledge of intels chips that could provide any insight?

kashik

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 16, 2008
Since the Macbook Air is running a Merom, this newer proc should be even faster. Anyone able to estimate the % gain it may have over the revB Macbook posted above?

TheStu

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2006
Carlisle, PA
The chip in the 1.83ghz rev.b. Macbook (Nov. 2006)--a computer Apple made over a year ago--would come closest to the MBA.

I would agree with that, but add teh following caveats

The MBA's CPU will no doubt run cooler (if in the same situation, so if you had it in the same MacBook for example, it would run cooler)
The MBA's CPU is 64bit
The MBA's CPU has a faster FSB
The MBA's CPU probably consumes less power

So, yes, the MacBook is from a year ago, but the technological improvements are still there.

EvryDayImShufln

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2006
I would agree with that, but add teh following caveats

The MBA's CPU will no doubt run cooler (if in the same situation, so if you had it in the same MacBook for example, it would run cooler)
The MBA's CPU is 64bit
The MBA's CPU has a faster FSB
The MBA's CPU probably consumes less power

So, yes, the MacBook is from a year ago, but the technological improvements are still there.

I think merom is seen to have about a 10% speed increase. Add in the FSB like TheStu said, and you will have a noticeable performance increase in the processor.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.