Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thekeyring

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 5, 2012
London
I thought it would be interesting to start a discussion about what Apple would need to add to the iPad Pro for you to consider it a "Pro" device, or for it to replace your laptop.

Currently, if I needed an ultra-portable machine I'd buy a MacBook. I need apps like Toon Boom Studio, Adobe Premier, After Effects and Animate for work. And while I expect a mid-range laptop will always be what I need spec-wise, I can't even consider an iPad as a secondary device because I can't open work files on it.

It's worth asking: do you think the iPad Pro *should* be a laptop replacement? I remember watching the iPad 3 introduction keynote thinking "They've got PhotoBooth, iWork, and iLife... next year they'll surly introduce Final Cut Pro or Logic?" I get the impression now that Apple doesn't share this vision. It's not only Adobe holding out on iOS versions of their Mac apps, but Apple themselves.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
First, it needs to run a desk top OS. iOS is to limited and restricted. Second, the Pro needs more 'Pro' applications for editing and Developing at minimum.

Right now, in some respects, the 12.9 Pro is considered a giant sized movie player with really good speakers and designing with the Apple Pencil.

GrindedDown

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2009
Las Vegas
More apps, which I believe are coming in due time. For instance, Affinity is working on ipad pro versions of their lovely software Designer and Photo. I cannot wait. Full blow x-code for ipad pleasssssssssssseeeeeeee. Maybe one day.

If I could pick one thing outside of hardware support, I would say file export via SD or USB. I can think of so many reasons why this would be clutch for a device like the ipad pro. Pretty sure developers would be happy too.

GeekishlyGreek

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2015
Greece
First, it needs to run a desk top OS. iOS is to limited and restricted. Second, the Pro needs more 'Pro' applications for editing and Developing at minimum.

Right now, in some respects, the 12.9 Pro is considered a giant sized movie player with really good speakers and designing with the Apple Pencil.
Yeah, I think it's the obvious that we all agree on here. I think they're getting closer, as before, one of the major problems was that physical keyboards are still necessary for most things (which got solved by keyboard cases), but then there was still the problem that you couldn't really do intricate work without a mouse (think how awkward it is to even edit cells on a spreadsheet when touch-screen is the only way to do it), but the ApplePencil kinda solved that problem, which made me start to wonder if my dream of having the iPad replace a laptop wold be possible. However, I don't think we're quite there yet, as there is one extremely obvious barrier that still stops the iPad Pro being a viable laptop replacer in any real sense (namely File and Folder support). I can totally understand though why they don't put full-on OSX on iPads and iPhones, as its alot of extra overhead, so as iOS more lightweight it runs alot smoother, and guzzles less battery, etc. However, I think if we can get to the stage where iOS starts supporting the essential File and Folder support that would be needed to actually truly use an iPad instead of a Laptop, then it would indeed be a way to still keep the advantages of iOS without the restrictions that stop it being used as a Laptop in any meaningful way. I do think (and hope) that it will eventually happen. So discussions like this can only be helpful, as it allows us all to see both where the common ground is in terms of what each of us would need in order to make this happen, and also allows the oftentimes obvious solutions to emerge which actually solve alot of the current obstacles that once made us feel it would never be possible. For me, I think the roadmap to this common vision is clear, and we're probably not the only ones who have noticed, so I dare say it will likely be a possibility one day (and possibly not that far away). ;)

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
Some actual ports and support for things like external storage and file-management would be a huge step up. Also as soon as you can stop relying on a secondary computer for things itunes does, it'll be worth calling a pro device.

Reactions: thekeyring

TheRealAlex

macrumors 68030
Sep 2, 2015
I thought it would be interesting to start a discussion about what Apple would need to add to the iPad Pro for you to consider it a "Pro" device, or for it to replace your laptop.

Currently, if I needed an ultra-portable machine I'd buy a MacBook. I need apps like Toon Boom Studio, Adobe Premier, After Effects and Animate for work. And while I expect a mid-range laptop will always be what I need spec-wise, I can't even consider an iPad as a secondary device because I can't open work files on it.

It's worth asking: do you think the iPad Pro *should* be a laptop replacement? I remember watching the iPad 3 introduction keynote thinking "They've got PhotoBooth, iWork, and iLife... next year they'll surly introduce Final Cut Pro or Logic?" I get the impression now that Apple doesn't share this vision. It's not only Adobe holding out on iOS versions of their Mac apps, but Apple themselves.

When they showed off the Keynote saying it's faster than 300 Million existing PCs I thought they were going to say that it could run Mac OS X and Intel Really fought hard to get the iPad Pro business but its Core M CPUs were not ready the A9X is roughly on par with what the 2016 MacBook Core M ships with.

That being said Without Pie in the sky things to be More Pro maybe not this generation since its out I'd say next revision would be.

#1. Intel Core M Processors
#2. Mouse support really this would go a long way even with today's Pros
#3. Fast charging
#4. USB C port no more lightning
#5. Graphene Lithium battery will likely get 15 hour battery life.
#6. OLED Display.

Notice I did not add Mac OS X support I can't rule it out We need some insider Information or Rumors I am sure it's being Discussed But it would need 4GB RAM and at least an A11X Quad Core CPU. Maybe in 2017

Reactions: Altis and ABC5S

lchlch

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2015
Yeah, I think it's the obvious that we all agree on here. I think they're getting closer, as before, one of the major problems was that physical keyboards are still necessary for most things (which got solved by keyboard cases), but then there was still the problem that you couldn't really do intricate work without a mouse (think how awkward it is to even edit cells on a spreadsheet when touch-screen is the only way to do it), but the ApplePencil kinda solved that problem, which made me start to wonder if my dream of having the iPad replace a laptop wold be possible. However, I don't think we're quite there yet, as there is one extremely obvious barrier that still stops the iPad Pro being a viable laptop replacer in any real sense (namely File and Folder support). I can totally understand though why they don't put full-on OSX on iPads and iPhones, as its alot of extra overhead, so as iOS more lightweight it runs alot smoother, and guzzles less battery, etc. However, I think if we can get to the stage where iOS starts supporting the essential File and Folder support that would be needed to actually truly use an iPad instead of a Laptop, then it would indeed be a way to still keep the advantages of iOS without the restrictions that stop it being used as a Laptop in any meaningful way. I do think (and hope) that it will eventually happen. So discussions like this can only be helpful, as it allows us all to see both where the common ground is in terms of what each of us would need in order to make this happen, and also allows the oftentimes obvious solutions to emerge which actually solve alot of the current obstacles that once made us feel it would never be possible. For me, I think the roadmap to this common vision is clear, and we're probably not the only ones who have noticed, so I dare say it will likely be a possibility one day (and possibly not that far away). ;)
iOS does support file and folders. But they chose not to expose the file structure to you.

Having said that iCloud Drive is kinda like a file system on your iPad/iPhone (you can toggle in the settings). What's missing in ICloud Drive is the ability to add a file or perhaps a deep link to a folder. (Just to add you don't need to have an Internet connection to use the iCloud Drive locally.)

GrindedDown

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2009
Las Vegas
iOS does support file and folders. But they chose not to expose the file structure to you.

Having said that iCloud Drive is kinda like a file system on your iPad/iPhone (you can toggle in the settings). What's missing in ICloud Drive is the ability to add a file or perhaps a deep link to a folder. (Just to add you don't need to have an Internet connection to use the iCloud Drive locally.)

Could you explain to me what using iCloud Drive without an Internet connection does?

I have absolutely no idea and this sounds very interesting.

lchlch

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2015
Could you explain to me what using iCloud Drive without an Internet connection does?

I have absolutely no idea and this sounds very interesting.
Basically in iCloud Drive you have access to all the files in apps. That includes both offline and online files.

You have the ability to create folders and to move files from an app to another app/folder.

Having said that, you don't have access to photos and videos from iCloud Drive. Though you have access to all your documents, etc.

GrindedDown

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2009
Las Vegas
Basically in iCloud Drive you have access to all the files in apps. That includes both offline and online files.

You have the ability to create folders and to move files from an app to another app/folder.

Oh wow ok. So then I'm assuming that if you are working offline, any changes made to iCloud Drive on your device will be uploaded to the servers once you acquire an Internet connection again?

Reactions: thekeyring

lchlch

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2015
Oh wow ok. So then I'm assuming that if you are working offline, any changes made to iCloud Drive on your device will be uploaded to the servers once you acquire an Internet connection again?

That's correct. But if you want you can turn off mobile data for iCloud Drive but it'll still upload the data over wifi.

M. Gustave

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2015
Grand Budapest Hotel
...I can't even consider an iPad as a secondary device because I can't open work files on it.

What files are you unable to open?
[doublepost=1470826246][/doublepost]
First, it needs to run a desk top OS.

iPad is a touch input device, so it needs an operating system designed from the ground up for touch. It's really not hard to understand.

Maybe you're confused by the optional accessories Apple sells for it? It happens to the best of us.

Reactions: bensisko and sracer

bigsid

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2010
Lanarkshire, Scotland
Well how about a hinge that plugs into the smart connectors of two Ipad pros, so that when you use it with different software the screens change, for instance (if they release FCP for Ipad) one screen is your main viewing screen and the other has all your timeline, inspector windows. This could work across the board with all Pro Apps, Photoshop, Logic etc.
In a drawing app, one screen could be your "Tablet" and the other your screen. This would blow the competition away and with the power of two Ipad pros working in tandem, users would have a very usable tool. If they combined it with a connection on the hinge for an external lightning connected hard drive, this would be nice. If only!

thelead

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2010
What the iPad Pro needs are pro apps made for iPad.
If you want mac OS, mouse, and keyboard on an iPad, you don't want an iPad, you want a Macbook Pro.
I disagree. We already have keyboards, Remote Desktop apps cover Mac OS when needed, and mouse support would be used in the Remote Desktop apps. The missing part is the mouse support. No one is asking for a mouse interface in iOS. We just need basic mouse support like the mfi standard Apple created for game controllers. Of course, you would probably say 'if you want to game with a controller, get a console" right? I don't see how it would hurt you to have Apple allow for basic mouse support in specific apps.

Reactions: Altis and ABC5S

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
I disagree. We already have keyboards, Remote Desktop apps cover Mac OS when needed, and mouse support would be used in the Remote Desktop apps. The missing part is the mouse support. No one is asking for a mouse interface in iOS. We just need basic mouse support like the mfi standard Apple created for game controllers. Of course, you would probably say 'if you want to game with a controller, get a console" right? I don't see how it would hurt you to have Apple allow for basic mouse support in specific apps.
Do you know about Jump Desktop's (and Citrix RDP) support for (specific) mice or were you talking about more general support at the OS level for remote desktop support for mice?

I'm currently using a Citrix X1 mouse on my 12.9 iPad Pro w/Jump Desktop to access my iMac while I'm away from my home office. Works wonderfully. There's a thread in this sub-forum on the subject.

stevemiller

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2008
if your 'pro' activities involve drawing or photo touchup, its already mostly there. if you're a developer who's workflow involves multiple monitors with tons of windows and files, you should probably rethink your choice of tool. ;)

thelead

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2010
Do you know about Jump Desktop's (and Citrix RDP) support for (specific) mice or were you talking about more general support at the OS level for remote desktop support for mice?

I'm currently using a Citrix X1 mouse on my 12.9 iPad Pro w/Jump Desktop to access my iMac while I'm away from my home office. Works wonderfully. There's a thread in this sub-forum on the subject.
I am and it seems pretty cool but I don't like being tied to just 1 or 2 apps and 1 or 2 mice. Any Bluetooth mouse should work. Right now there are only two overpriced mice and 2 apps in which they work. I might give the Citrix mouse a shot though. The other mouse doesn't appeal to me.

Reactions: sracer

AdFeCu

macrumors newbie
IMO, the iPad Pro needs a partial redesign, like adding MicroSD expandable storage, a change to a 12” inch screen, lighter and long lasting batteries (Graphene or Solid State Batteries), a new Apple Pencil (shorter and thinner) that comes with the iPad (like the Note phones), and a Smart Keyboard that has the butterfly mechanism, a row of Function keys, bigger keys, more viewing angles, and needs less knowledge in origami.

A hybrid OS that can use both Mac and iOS apps (like a Chromebook) would be great.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
I am and it seems pretty cool but I don't like being tied to just 1 or 2 apps and 1 or 2 mice. Any Bluetooth mouse should work. Right now there are only two overpriced mice and 2 apps in which they work. I might give the Citrix mouse a shot though. The other mouse doesn't appeal to me.
I completely agree with you. I'm not thrilled to be tied to a particular app and mouse. I much prefer to have base-level support in the OS for this, but Apple is moving at a glacially slow pace and I'm not getting any younger, so I bit the bullet so that I can take advantage of this capability now.

I wouldn't necessarily consider the X1 to be overpriced. Bluetooth mice generally sell for between $30 and $80. At $60 the Citrix is somewhat in the middle of that range.

But having said that, the experience is terrific. I get to use my iPP as a top-quality tablet with no compromise in doing tablet-y things. When I need to do notebook-y/desktop-y things, fire up Jump Desktop and the combination of X1 and the Apple Smart Keyboard is great. I'd prefer it if OSX could run locally within a VM, but this is the next best thing... and far superior to my experience with the Surface line of devices.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.