Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
wish someone would just flat out copy that design internally
I think having the door of a case hold the motherboard and components is probably outdated as it not as feasible as it was back then. Look at how big GPUs are taking 3, sometimes 4 slots

Personally while that was an intriguing design, I have found other cases to be better in both looks and cabling management. Personally I love pre-trash can Mac Pro design. Now that is clean and wonderfully laid out - both the intel and PPC versions.
1714043870006.png
1714043921048.png

wonderings

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 19, 2021
I think having the door of a case hold the motherboard and components is probably outdated as it not as feasible as it was back then. Look at how big GPUs are taking 3, sometimes 4 slots

Personally while that was an intriguing design, I have found other cases to be better in both looks and cabling management. Personally I love pre-trash can Mac Pro design. Now that is clean and wonderfully laid out - both the intel and PPC versions.
View attachment 2371721 View attachment 2371722
I do agree the Dual G5 was the best looking, and simple to get into as well, I just preferred the easier access to everything on the G4's. I don't think anything matches to this day the clean design of the G5 tower. I remember when I got mine waaaay back, pretty much left the side case off all the time. Clean, simple and no RGB.

I was having trouble getting access to the screw that locked the GPU's in with a strange bracket. Before leaving for work this morning I gave a feel around and found a plastic shield that popped away and then let me pull back partially a fan. Does not give me full access yet, but much closer getting to what I need to get to to remove the GPU's. The case is a neat design when you know how it all goes together, figuring it out with no manual though is not so obvious.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.