Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Malcy16

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 8, 2012
United Kingdom
Hello All,
I've had an Apple Watch since the launch of the original, since then I've moved to S3 and next month I plan to move again to a S6.
When people who aren't as up to speed with Apple and Technology in general ask me what I use it for I just reply with "It is a luxury convenience" - This is based around getting to see how warm it is outside or checking messages and receiving calls without having to get your phone out of your pocket.

But when I've been thinking about it - What really do I use my Apple Watch for and really... there's not that much
- Set a timer when cooking
- Track a workout
- View iMessages/WhatsApp messages
- Check the temperature outside
- Ping my iPhone when I can't find it on the sofa or in bed
- Oh and checking the time (Duh!)

Surely there's more to them than the above?
I don't tend to write messages on it as its too time consuming, My workout tracking is really inconsistent as I went for a 2 hour walk yesterday and my exercise ring logged it as 9 minutes or exercise. I don't tend to answer calls on it as it was really poor with S1 and not great on S3.

What does everyone else use their Apple Watches for?
Note: I don't have the cellular version - I don't want ANOTHER monthly cost :(

bricktop_at

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2017
But when I've been thinking about it - What really do I use my Apple Watch for and really... there's not that much
- Track a workout
I use it for the same things like you do. Additionally it's my personal health companion, so not just tracking workouts but also other health related stuff like various heart related data and of course my activity in general. I also find it very convenient to see my next appointments at a glance. From time to time I also take a call with it.
Oh, and I almost forgot... Apple Pay! One of the most useful features of all, used practically daily :)

Since I am a bit of a watch nerd (bought my first AW about 2 years ago - a silver S4 Aluminum, after a long refusal to put something without gears and springs inside on my wrist) I have now replaced the S6 Black Alu I bought last September with a golden SS version (should have gone SS from the beginning as I know now) - which brings me to another thing I use it for: Tickling my watch-fancy ?
The Aluminum Watch feels kinda like a toy in comparison…

Last edited:
Reactions: Zanton68

Malcy16

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 8, 2012
United Kingdom
I use it for the same things like you do. Additionally it's my personal health companion, so not just tracking workouts but also other health related stuff like various heart related data and of course my activity in general. I also find it very convenient to see my next appointments at a glance. From time to time I also take a call with it.
Oh, and I almost forgot... Apple Pay! One of the most useful features of all, used practically daily :)

Since I am a bit of a watch nerd (bought my first AW about 2 years ago - a silver S4 Aluminum, after a long refusal to put something without gears and springs inside on my wrist) I have now replaced the S6 Black Alu I bought last September with a golden SS version (should have gone SS from the beginning as I know now) - which brings me to another thing I use it for: Tickling my watch-fancy ?
The Aluminum Watch feels kinda like a toy in comparison…
Yeah its nice to know something is keeping an eye on you day-to-day. I think I'll feel better with the S6 keeping an eye on me too.
I've never thought to use Apple Pay on my watch. I usually use my iPhone because when I do use it I'll have a loyalty card on my phone for that store too so its convenient.
I've never been one to wear a watch but when Apple announced theirs I knew it would be something I'd like. Since getting one I've been wearing it nearly every day.
I just sometimes feel bad because I don't use it as much as I think I should.

bricktop_at

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2017
Yeah its nice to know something is keeping an eye on you day-to-day. I think I'll feel better with the S6 keeping an eye on me too.
I've never thought to use Apple Pay on my watch. I usually use my iPhone because when I do use it I'll have a loyalty card on my phone for that store too so its convenient.
I've never been one to wear a watch but when Apple announced theirs I knew it would be something I'd like. Since getting one I've been wearing it nearly every day.
I just sometimes feel bad because I don't use it as much as I think I should.
Apple Pay on the watch is just so damn easy to use, you should try that ;-)

Oh and in regards to the workout/training minutes: I see the same and as far as I can tell, the minutes only get counted if the watch registers enough heart rate raise or walking speed (something like that I guess). For me that happens especially when I walk slower than usual, for example with my dad instead of brisk walking on my own. Never see this when I'm running.

Malcy16

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 8, 2012
United Kingdom
Apple Pay on the watch is just so damn easy to use, you should try that ;-)

Oh and in regards to the workout/training minutes: I see the same and as far as I can tell, the minutes only get counted if the watch registers enough heart rate raise or walking speed (something like that I guess). For me that happens especially when I walk slower than usual, for example with my dad instead of brisk walking on my own. Never see this when I'm running.
Nice! Ok - Thats probably down to my dog stopping every 10 yards to sniff something...

bricktop_at

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2017
Nice! Ok - Thats probably down to my dog stopping every 10 yards to sniff something...
Must have something to do with the calibration data the watch collects during workouts, so it adapts the algorithm that calculates the workout minutes. As far as I remember it counted the walks generally in full when I first got the watch and then it went to calculating them more realistically after some time.

svanstrom

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2002
??
There's exactly one place irl where I don't use it to pay for things; the rest is Apple Pay via my watch.

Tracking my health. Personally I need the feedback from my watch data to help nudge me towards healthier choices.

Notifications… Instead of getting distracted by my phone I have it muted and only allow time sensitive notifications to reach my watch; which also help me often just archive arriving emails (the subject/preview is often enough for me to know what's going on, and whether or not I actually need to read the whole email).

Leaving home without my phone… I have the cellular version, and love how it allows me to leave my phone at home without being completely disconnected. Sometimes it's because I'm wearing nicer clothes with no room for a heavy phone, sometimes because I go to the beach alone to relax without having to worry about my phone getting stolen, sometimes it's to workout/go for a walk without distractions; and every now and then I just want to run a quick errand while listening to music, and simply don't want to lug around a phone just for that.

Generally speaking my experiences over the years started in 2015 with a work-related reason for getting it, where I then very quickly noticed the benefits as far as how handling notifications better made me less distracted by everything happening on my phone; and then it went on to me realising the benefits of the feedback from the activity data. And now it's more and more about how my AW is making me less dependent on having my phone with me 24/7.

Reactions: bunnyechoes

Malcy16

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 8, 2012
United Kingdom
There's exactly one place irl where I don't use it to pay for things; the rest is Apple Pay via my watch.

Tracking my health. Personally I need the feedback from my watch data to help nudge me towards healthier choices.

Notifications… Instead of getting distracted by my phone I have it muted and only allow time sensitive notifications to reach my watch; which also help me often just archive arriving emails (the subject/preview is often enough for me to know what's going on, and whether or not I actually need to read the whole email).

Leaving home without my phone… I have the cellular version, and love how it allows me to leave my phone at home without being completely disconnected. Sometimes it's because I'm wearing nicer clothes with no room for a heavy phone, sometimes because I go to the beach alone to relax without having to worry about my phone getting stolen, sometimes it's to workout/go for a walk without distractions; and every now and then I just want to run a quick errand while listening to music, and simply don't want to lug around a phone just for that.

Generally speaking my experiences over the years started in 2015 with a work-related reason for getting it, where I then very quickly noticed the benefits as far as how handling notifications better made me less distracted by everything happening on my phone; and then it went on to me realising the benefits of the feedback from the activity data. And now it's more and more about how my AW is making me less dependent on having my phone with me 24/7.
Nice, Thats a good idea regarding the notifications.
When I go for a run I have to carry my iPhone or I strap it on my arm with a holder. But it would be soo much easier with the Apple Watch and AirPods.
I don't have enough memory on my S3 to put any music on but this would change with a S6. Nice idea too

fauxtog

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2017
Apple Pay on the watch is a huge plus these days since it eliminates me having to input a password because I have a mask on and face id does not work with it. Also, you can put some of the store loyalty cards in the wallet app too. For example, I have my Walgreen's card in the wallet app.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
Apple Pay, running, messages, timers, weather/air quality/UV level, telling time. For many years I’ve had a dedicated running watch (only wore for runs) anyway, so AW has replaced that. I do pay for LTE for peace of mind when I go running.

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2019
Keeps my iPhone safe in my pocket while at work, and I use Siri to text folks, or take calls, control my music and use the radio app for some great 80's hits when I need to drown out noise.

It's far nicer than risking the iPhone slipping out of my hands and being dropped and broken. Especially when my hands are covered in engine oil or grime, I can easily just ask my watch to do what I need it to..."Hey Siri! Play 80s music!"

Reactions: throAU

darcyf

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2011
Toronto, ON
Got my first watch, the SE, in late November and it is first and foremost a personal fitness tracker that keeps me motivated to exercise every day and if that’s all it did it would be worth every penny and then some.

It also tells the time. Not to mention:
⁃ Sets timers
⁃ Checks the weather
⁃ Shows me messages
⁃ Shows me alerts
⁃ Let’s me know my phone is ringing
⁃ Let’s me know when my coffee has reached my desired temperature in my ember mug
⁃ Let’s me check my heart rate
⁃ Shazam’s songs for me

That’s kinda it for my usage. But while everything in that list is all well and good, the fitness tracking alone makes this device indispensable for me.

edit: shows me my upcoming calendar events, slack notifications, reminders... so quite a lot on top of the main feature for me it seems!

sixtydashone

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2020
- Health / fitness tracking, logging my cycling workouts / monitoring heart rate etc.
- Streaming Apple Music during workouts when I don't want to bring my phone with me
- Notifications ie. calendar events (meetings)
- Read incoming / reply to texts (if a shorter, simple reply)
- Music pause / back / forward when listening to music at my desk during work or while working out, or when connected to car bluetooth
- Approve sign-in with 2 Factor Auth apps (OneLogin and Duo Mobile)
- Unlock Macbook Pros
- Set timers for doing laundry or cooking
- Check weather / weather conditions / temp
- Tap the "hang up" icon when an auto warranty scammer calls me, or when I get a call while in a meeting
- Check the time

I really should start using it for Apple Pay, it just seems that anytime I'm out shopping I tend to have the phone on me and I end up using that instead. The cellular is a newer perk for me having come from a Series 3 GPS, so I think I just need to get used to leaving the phone behind more often. I really enjoy leaving it behind for workouts because I often don't want a big brick slapping around in my pocket.

Last edited:

Blowback

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2018
VA
Hello All,
I've had an Apple Watch since the launch of the original, since then I've moved to S3 and next month I plan to move again to a S6.
When people who aren't as up to speed with Apple and Technology in general ask me what I use it for I just reply with "It is a luxury convenience" - This is based around getting to see how warm it is outside or checking messages and receiving calls without having to get your phone out of your pocket.

- Track a workout

I don't tend to write messages on it as its too time consuming, My workout tracking is really inconsistent as I went for a 2 hour walk yesterday and my exercise ring logged it as 9 minutes or exercise. I don't tend to answer calls on it as it was really poor with S1 and not great on S3.

You say 'not much' but ....how much of this could you easily do on your 'old' watch???

Blowback

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2018
VA
Hello All,

- Track a workout

Also...and hope no-one has to ....'Fall Alerts' and 'SOS' when you decide to park under the 'busted' iight at the far end of the shopping center.....
Used to be able to adjust tv volume...not sure when we lost that but liked doing it as I went from room to room during commercials.
And most importantly: Health, Health, Health.......

harriska2

macrumors 68000
Mar 16, 2011
Oregon
- Alarms to wake up and start/stop zoom sessions
- Track a workout using “other,” morning 2 mile walks using “open walk”
- View iMessages, short replies
- Ping my iPhone to find it
- Checking time/date
- Apple pay
- Alerting me to phone calls - ability to quickly decline
- Calendar events

Mistborn15

macrumors regular
Feb 5, 2021
- unlocking the Mac
- workouts (outdoor cycling and indoor running)
- Setting timers multiple times a day

Got the S3 mostly for tracking workouts and since it is still doing that perfectly, not tempted to upgrade. I'd prefer always on display but I remember having that on Gear S3 and I always disabled it to save battery

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
I started with an S2, currently do all the below with an S4.

Yeah its a convenience, what I use mine for primarily:
  • telling the time (I know, right?)
  • at a glance weather information (temperature, rain forecast, UV index)
  • playing music whilst exercising - no need to carry a phone/iPod/etc
  • recording vitals into health so I can observe trends in heart rate, etc.
  • controlling homekit devices
  • ApplePay - no need to carry my wallet, phone, etc. some may not realise, but once a card is added to the watch, it will work independently of the phone being in range - even if its a wifi only model with no wifi available.
  • timers/alarms
  • homekit intercom (e.g., paging the GF to come hold the ladder so I could climb down from the roof cavity last week, etc.
  • notifications - knowing whether or not something I get sent is important enough to get my phone out to respond
  • dictating text messages whilst I have my hands full with some other task (e.g., fixing a leak in the roof last week, hands full/dirty with silicone sealant, etc.). its great for when you have your hands full or dirty (e.g., kitchen, garage, etc.).
  • device unlock (Mac)
  • as above, caller id. if my phone is at the other end of the house there's no need to go run to it, if its someone I don't want to pick up.

Most of these things aren't things I can't live without, etc. I did just fine before the watch.

But they're all conveniences that I don't want to give up.

edit:
writing messages, etc. using the screen is something you can do in a pinch, but isn't really the way to make best use of it. if you're willing to use siri, the watch really excels when you have your hands full or otherwise unavailable. sure, sometimes siri isn't 100% accurate for dictating messages, but it is generally good enough, and it works as a phone as well.

If you've not been using siri - give it a shot. It makes the watch far more useful than trying to use it like a smaller iPhone via the touchscreen.

Last edited:

Bandaman

Cancelled
Aug 28, 2019
I literally only bought it for exercise and taking business calls while I'm out running. It's magical at both. It's nice listening to music and not needing the phone.

sananda

macrumors 68030
May 24, 2007
  • Counting expended calories which I balance against food intake
  • Reminding me to stand
  • Apple Pay
  • Telling the time
  • Message notifications (I would also like to dictate replies but my series 0 doesn't seem up to the task)

firewire9000

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2015
Hello All,

- Track a workout

All this things plus waking up with it, I love the haptic motor instead of a sounding alarm. Also checking the stocks and keeping how much water I drink with the Hidrate Spark app and bottle. Also Apple Pay of course.

Malcy16

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 8, 2012
United Kingdom
Thanks all for responding. Theres definitely a few things that I will have a go at using when I get my S6 in a few weeks. Exercise has been one of those things that I have been fortunate not not need to worry about as I am slim and can eat all kinds of rubbish and not put on weight (Obviously excluding any damage its doing to my insides) but during the pandemic exercise has become more important than ever as it helps my mental health.
I'll definitely be putting some music on it and using it for exercise.

I've also got to try Apple Pay too ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.