Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pathfinder55

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 18, 2007
So the question pretty much states it. What do you think about that camera? I was at costco today and saw it there and thought it looked really nice. I have also been reading some reviews of it and it looks nice.

Can anyone help me outhere I might buy the camera tomarrow and I don't want to buy a piece of crap.

iBallz

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2007
So. Utah
Can anyone help me outhere I might buy the camera tomarrow and I don't want to buy a piece of crap.

We've had a few of them. They suck! Cute and small, but too slow. I had my Canon, the wife had her Optio, and she missed almost every shot of the whales, and sharks, and the kids, cause its lag time was so long. Plus the 'My Colors' in the Canon and over all durability make it worth it. Get a SD800 or SD870.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
It's not the shutter speed. It's common for P&S to have shutter lag.
You will have to scour detailed reviews like at dpreview for the timing page.
If you don't find the review, forget about that model.

iBallz

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2007
So. Utah
get the SD750 for about the same price. Plus you can get a download for the Canons to caputre RAW images and select your shutter or aperture settings.
Or step it up a few bucks and get the G9!

Pathfinder55

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 18, 2007
get the SD750 for about the same price. Plus you can get a download for the Canons to caputre RAW images and select your shutter or aperture settings.
Or step it up a few bucks and get the G9!

I looks like the SD750 only has 3x optical zoom and 4x digital... That isnt as good as the Z10. Neither are the MP.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Forget about digital zoom.
More megapixels does not mean better. Lately, it normally means worse in P&S.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
You also have to look at the sensor size. If a camera has more MP, but the sensor is also bigger than another with less MP, the photosites could actually be bigger (better) depending on the specific numbers.

But there is also the sensor and processing technology that play into the image quality, so it's not possible to just compare numbers and tell which one is better.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Canon is not great for the storage efficiency of movies because they use M-JPEG.

There are other cameras which use MPEG-4 (or AVC/H.264), which is much more efficient.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
BTW, sensor sizes use a weird historic convention, you can't just use the numbers quoted directly, except just for telling which one is bigger.

iBallz

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2007
So. Utah
I'd rather have the 590 than any Pentax, I have a few Optios I'll give ya.

(and I shoot Nikon dSLRs) Pentax makes a great dSLR.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.