Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dpclark

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 29, 2004
Sunny Yorkshire - UK
After my trip to the apple store in London yesterday I'm really really craving a powerbook - what do you guys think - If I sold off my REV A 17" imac G5 (1Gb Ram, Bluetooth, BT Mouse+Kboard) and my 12" ibook (maxed out RAM + Airport) would I be able to get anywhere near price wise? would put a feeler on marketplace but not enough posts yet
>D

Brize

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2004
Europe
You'll probably need to let us know what size and configuration of PowerBook you're looking to buy.

dpclark

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 29, 2004
Sunny Yorkshire - UK
Brize said:
You'll probably need to let us know what size and configuration of PowerBook you're looking to buy.

D'oh, its late, what am i thinking!!!

Aiming for a 15" Combo Drive (have native burning lacie DVD+-R) with stock memory (would U/G myself)

Demon Hunter

macrumors 68020
Mar 30, 2004
The iMac could get you a 12" or lower-end 15" I think... I have no idea what the iBook would go for. A G3 of any speed is like beating a dead horse, but since you have Airport and max RAM it might a good amount.

Brize

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2004
Europe
eBay is always a good indicator of market value, so it's worth searching the completed items to get an idea of the prices you're likely to realise.

I think you'll probably get around £600 for the iMac and £300 for the iBook, which means you're going to be nearly £500 short of your target. Time to raid the piggy bank...

FFTT

macrumors 68030
Apr 17, 2004
A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
You should be contacting AppleCare to see if your Rev A iMac G5 is
covered under the bad capacitor recall.

If so, they'll switch out the old midplane board and might upgrade you to a
2.0 model with the better GPU.

dpclark

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 29, 2004
Sunny Yorkshire - UK
FFTT said:
You should be contacting AppleCare to see if your Rev A iMac G5 is
covered under the bad capacitor recall.

If so, they'll switch out the old midplane board and might upgrade you to a
2.0 model with the better GPU.

Folded today - saw n powerbook while surfing ebay on my lunch break, what do you think of this? went for the 12" as not really needing the 15" or its bulk.

ebay Link

dcv

macrumors G3
May 24, 2005
dpclark said:
Folded today - saw n powerbook while surfing ebay on my lunch break, what do you think of this? went for the 12" as not really needing the 15" or its bulk.

ebay Link

Shame you didn't check the refurbs store, you could have had the latest 12" PowerBook for £839

The eBay one you bought is pretty old, but not bad for the price. Although (and you probably won't like me for saying this) for near enough the same price you could have had a brand new 12" iBook, which also has slightly better specs than that PowerBook (more RAM, faster processor, sudden motion sensor, scrolling trackpad, ships with Tiger, brand new with warranty etc)

sorry! it's still not a bad deal for a PowerBook though. you'll need to stick some extra RAM into it.

dpclark

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 29, 2004
Sunny Yorkshire - UK
KittenKrusher said:
Just be happy with the new PowerBook, I know I love mine.

Really looking forward to getting my new baby - just in middle of preping my ibook for her new owner -

Did look at the refurb shop - but decided to still go the ebay route - this book if from the US apple refub shop by the sound of things (as it comes with an 6-month international apple warranty)

Have already got a 512 stick on order from crutial - hoping its as easy to upgrade as the ibook was -

Cannot believe I'm gonna be a powerbook owner - finally after all this time!!!!

D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.