Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

transmaster

Contributor
Feb 1, 2010
Cheyenne, Wyoming
Curious about these NvME drive they are the way to go that is obvious the one question I have about them if in an external enclosure do they need an attached heatsink. The suppose it is predicated on the enclosure.

transmaster

Contributor
Feb 1, 2010
Cheyenne, Wyoming
Started with the 2GB Samsung 980Pro NvME and Acasis enclosure.

My lord it is fast. Will probably get a couple more sets or see if I can find a multiple enclosure for some more Samsung NvME chips.
This looks like a very good enclosure. I am mainly looking at the OWC's because with some of their enclosures you can install up to 4 of these NvME drives. You can add these drive as needed. The have even larger ones but they are design for use with servers.

Reactions: RUQRU

Mac Hammer Fan

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2004
You need to put the Acasis upon the Mac Studio, otherwise it runs too hot. Read/write speed is 2750 MB/sec. But I get some beachball spinning immeditely after startup and it doesn't boot very fast.

Last edited:
Reactions: Adult80HD

Adult80HD

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2019
You need to put the Acasis upon the Mac Studio, otherwise it runs too hot. Read/write speed is 2750 MB/sec. But I get some beachball spinning immeditely after startup and it doesn't boot very fast.
This is the way. It stays barely warm if you put it on your Studio. Don't put it on anything that has insulating properties or it gets very hot. But anything that acts as a heat sink is excellent--glass or metal table tops, for example.

Reactions: Mac Hammer Fan

chfilm

macrumors 68040
Nov 15, 2012
Berlin
How did you get it working??? 🙏 I tried everything!
I was losing my mind at first too, but ultimately it was super easy lol. They just didn't provide the information in a good, sorted way.

Ultimately, this is what I had to do:

You need to install THIS software: DEXT DRIVER

and then you have to somehow find an older mac and do the firmware update as described on your pegasus raid. It looks more intimidating than it actually is. It was rather easy in fact. What confused me was that you have to download this firmware package and it looked like it was broken cause you couldnt open it anyhow. But what you have to do is drag and drop the package into the command line as they write:
"Then drag and drop the firmware file from finder to the terminal and it will paste the file with full path into the terminal, and press enter."

After that, and JUST installing this Dext driver, and NOTHING else, it worked just fine. In fact I did it again today on a brand new mac studio, was super smooth. No setting any permissions in safe boot mode or anything. This cost me 3 hours of my life to figure out.... Hope it helps!

Reactions: b17777

chfilm

macrumors 68040
Nov 15, 2012
Berlin
I found now my perfect storage solution:
I just got the OWC Mercury Elite Pro U.2 Dual, put two shuttles inside with 3x 2TB Nvme's each, put them in Raid 4 and now have 10TB of pretty fast AND SAFE Raid storage. Sure, speeds can't compete with my old setup inside the mac pro on a Sonnet 4x4 Raid card, but still 2500mb/s read/write is fast enough for pretty much any of my needs as a video editor. I'm happy! Especially since it's very silent!!

yellowbunny

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2010
I was losing my mind at first too, but ultimately it was super easy lol. They just didn't provide the information in a good, sorted way.

and then you have to somehow find an older mac and do the firmware update as described on your pegasus raid. It looks more intimidating than it actually is. It was rather easy in fact. What confused me was that you have to download this firmware package and it looked like it was broken cause you couldnt open it anyhow. But what you have to do is drag and drop the package into the command line as they write:
"Then drag and drop the firmware file from finder to the terminal and it will paste the file with full path into the terminal, and press enter."

After that, and JUST installing this Dext driver, and NOTHING else, it worked just fine. In fact I did it again today on a brand new mac studio, was super smooth. No setting any permissions in safe boot mode or anything. This cost me 3 hours of my life to figure out.... Hope it helps!
Oh, wow! THANK YOU! After wasting two evenings swearing at computer this finally did it. Life saver!

Dear future people googling the same problem. This is the answer to get your Pegasus R4 or R6 working with your M1 / Apple Silicon Mac.

Why do they not just link to this information on their website when you go to the Downloads section!!?

Reactions: chfilm

chfilm

macrumors 68040
Nov 15, 2012
Berlin
Oh, wow! THANK YOU! After wasting two evenings swearing at computer this finally did it. Life saver!

Dear future people googling the same problem. This is the answer to get your Pegasus R4 or R6 working with your M1 / Apple Silicon Mac.

Why do they not just link to this information on their website when you go to the Downloads section!!?
Ha! Great! I'm glad I could help you! Really, it's a mystery why they don't put this out more clearly, there must be thousands of promise users who are now upgrading to apple silicon with perfectly capable raid systems which become bricks unexpectedly without this...

Reactions: b17777

yellowbunny

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2010

Aaaaand it's gone. So strange. It worked! Did a 15tb Time Machine back up and now it won't mount again. The R4 shows up in system report but the Promise Utility doesn't see it and neither does Disk Utility.... So annoying!

chfilm

macrumors 68040
Nov 15, 2012
Berlin
Aaaaand it's gone. So strange. It worked! Did a 15tb Time Machine back up and now it won't mount again. The R4 shows up in system report but the Promise Utility doesn't see it and neither does Disk Utility.... So annoying!
that is so strange! It works just fine for me here consistently. The promise utility doesnt work at all on my m2. Maybe try contacting the support.

chfilm

macrumors 68040
Nov 15, 2012
Berlin
Thanks for tips! I just restarted the R4 and now it's back in action. Strange!
I remember reading that Promise was saying that the Pegasus2 models should definitely work with this trick, but for the 1st gen they couldn't guarantee full functionality. But mine works, I have both an Pegasus R6 and a Pegasus2 R6.
I think I will just use these until they stop working eventually- because they are still decently fast, and are really built like tanks. I've had two hdd failures over the course of maybe 10 years now and each time they protected my data as intended. The ports and OS compatibility are really the only concerns here... I mean hell, they offer the speed of a 2,5" SSD.

yellowbunny

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2010
I remember reading that Promise was saying that the Pegasus2 models should definitely work with this trick, but for the 1st gen they couldn't guarantee full functionality. But mine works, I have both an Pegasus R6 and a Pegasus2 R6.
I think I will just use these until they stop working eventually- because they are still decently fast, and are really built like tanks. I've had two hdd failures over the course of maybe 10 years now and each time they protected my data as intended. The ports and OS compatibility are really the only concerns here... I mean hell, they offer the speed of a 2,5" SSD.
Yes, I feel the same. Want to keep them going as long as possible as it has been faultless for so long.

Does your stay connected after sleep? Mine seems to disappear.

Jimmy_Spoons

macrumors newbie
Aug 15, 2023
Does anyone know how to set automatic regular back ups of my main external hard drive to another external (back-up of a back-up, but regular)? I don't want Time Machine as that backs up whole system, I just want anything that is put onto the main external to be regularly backed up. Thanks

Shamgar

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2015
Does anyone know how to set automatic regular back ups of my main external hard drive to another external (back-up of a back-up, but regular)? I don't want Time Machine as that backs up whole system, I just want anything that is put onto the main external to be regularly backed up. Thanks
Carbon Copy Cloner is probably the simplest solution for this.

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2008
UK
Let us know how it turns out after a week.

I had some problems with my solution but it has stabilized with a few weeks of use.
Is that the Crucial P3, in your earlier post?

The Lacie is a 'real' external drive, so hopefully should be good.
Supports 'smart' and shows as pcie connected (not usb as my T7's do).

IMG_0150.jpeg

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
Is that the Crucial P3, in your earlier post?

The Lacie is a 'real' external drive, so hopefully should be good.
Supports 'smart' and shows as pcie connected (not usb as my T7's do).

View attachment 2258080

Yes. But from what I have gathered, it's more likely the enclosure (Orico) that caused the problem. I just wanted something reasonably decent that didn't cost a fortune and I wasn't aware of the general instability issues with these kinds of solutions. I only learned about high-end solutions in this thread.

Reactions: MarkC426

Jimmy_Spoons

macrumors newbie
Aug 15, 2023
You can use Time Machine, just tell it to exclude the entire internal drive from the source list, and include the external drive (it is excluded by default).
That sounds promising. I can't remove the drive I'm backing up from the 'exclude' list though - the option to remove is greyed out. I need to take it off the list as that's the exact drive I need to back up (not back up to) - any thoughts?

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2008
UK
That sounds promising. I can't remove the drive I'm backing up from the 'exclude' list though - the option to remove is greyed out. I need to take it off the list as that's the exact drive I need to back up (not back up to) - any thoughts?
Do you have it set as your TM drive, the one your trying to remove?
That will be greyed out.....

Reactions: Jimmy_Spoons
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.