Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

avz

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2018
Stalingrad, Russia
I guess I was too vague about this, so I guess I’ll need to be more explicit:

1. On my MBP4,1 running dosdude1-patched High Sierra, the SSD is partitioned three ways: SL, patched HS, and patched HS installer (the one which would usually be on a USB stick);
  2. Booting into dosdude1-patched High Sierra installer gets to the installer, but disabling SIP from that terminal window is not permitted (recovery partition boot is required);
  3. Booting into bog-standard High Sierra installer from USB stick doesn’t work: EFI faults with unsupported system;
  4. Booting into recovery partition on the dosdude-patched High Sierra is not permitted: unsupported system;
  5. The dark mode hack link supplied by eyoungren above necessitates disabling SIP first; and
  6. SIP may only be disabled from booting into a bog-standard recovery partition, which … see #4.

So for now, this remains a chicken-egg question I’ve yet to figure out.
This is strange as Recovery Partition patch(for the HFS+ systems) has been available since dosdude1's Sierra patcher and has always worked for me.

APFS recovery for High Sierra and Mojave can also be patched manually.

ToniCH

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2020
I don't have one configured right now so I cannot test this but... What if you create an OCLP Mac OS -installer USB stick and boot from that? Can you then disable the SIP? And then boot back to your normal OS with the SIP disabled?

Reactions: B S Magnet
This is strange as Recovery Partition patch(for the HFS+ systems) has been available since dosdude1's Sierra patcher and has always worked for me.

APFS recovery for High Sierra and Mojave can also be patched manually.

I didn’t realize the recovery partition itself could be patched. I’ll have to look into doing that. I’m guessing it’s one of the optional tools or options dosdude1 provides on the installer screen itself, and I somehow just missed it (or the option to make sure the recovery partition is also patched).

The dosdude1-patched HS install on the MBP4,1 is on APFS, fwiw.

ToniCH

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2020
I've recently had some problems with with my 2011 iMac after upgrading it from OCLP 1.2.1 and 12.7.3 to OCLP 1.4.3 and OS 12.7.4. I have twice lost completely access to any networks (both wifi and ethernet) with no way to recover. First time right after the upgrade and second time identical problem after a power outage.

First time I tried to fix the system and broke it totally, had to reformat the boot drive, install Monterey and OCLP again and then recover files and settings from backups, took half a day before everything was running again. Second time I managed to recover by just installing the Monterey again, took only about an hour. I have good daily backups but, this is unacceptable delay in some situations.

So, to make sure I still have immediate access to my work email, files etc if the problem (or any other) happens again I decided to duplicate the file environment from my iMac boot drive to another working machine. So, made a backup to one of my cMP drives and I added a new user which I can choose if need arises. The user folder from iMac is on another drive instead of cMP boot drive as I don't want to mix the two. It's easier to do a CCC backup from my iMac when I don't need to worry that something on the cMP boot drive gets messed up by the backup process. I just told the OS where the other user folder is located so its readily accessible.

Ps. of course nothing goes smoothly. I totally had forgotten that I had also installed the OCLP to the same drive where I copied the user folder. So, when I zapped the drive I also deleted the EFI-folder. 😱 It took me couple of minutes to realize what happened o_O after a reboot I no longer ended up into the Monterey but Mojave instead. Well, I installed OCLP to a USB stick and booted pressing alt so I got the EFI boot option again and booted Monterey and then reinstalled the OCLP to a drive. :cool:

Last edited:

avz

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2018
Stalingrad, Russia
The dosdude1-patched HS install on the MBP4,1 is on APFS, fwiw.
This is the answer to your question as APFS recovery will have to be patched manually. It will work with High Sierra as well.

DCBassman

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2021
West Devon, UK
OK, here's a thing.
Have been playing with Linux on the two Macbooks, with very different results.
2007 Macbook 2,1 :- will accept and run well any 32-bit distro I throw at it. Settled on MX for the moment.
2011 MBP 8,2 :- will not even boot Antix or MX, no matter what I do. This is really annoying, because MX is a candidate for all my machines once Windows 10 is declared dead. I've formatted the flash drive using both Rufus and Balelna Etcher, tried both MBR and GPT formatting, to no avail. The installer boots fine on the 2011 iMac, either GPT or MBR. What is it about the damned MBP that stops it doing this? It will boot and install Mint, for example, just fine.
Answers on a postcard...
:D

Reactions: TheShortTimer

TheShortTimer

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2017
London, UK
Answers on a postcard...

Oh, that takes me back to Saturday morning TV and the hope that my postcard would be the winner/be read out.

Remember when Five Star fell victim to a malicious caller during a phone-in session? (NSFW so I won't be sharing it.)

Now onto answers - what about Windows 11? Is that an option? On the Linux front have you tried Xubuntu? It has much lower system requirements and is specifically tailored for older machines. If you can get it working then it could be a good match for the MB 2,1.

ocmac

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2023
OK, here's a thing.
Have been playing with Linux on the two Macbooks, with very different results.
2007 Macbook 2,1 :- will accept and run well any 32-bit distro I throw at it. Settled on MX for the moment.
2011 MBP 8,2 :- will not even boot Antix or MX, no matter what I do. This is really annoying, because MX is a candidate for all my machines once Windows 10 is declared dead. I've formatted the flash drive using both Rufus and Balelna Etcher, tried both MBR and GPT formatting, to no avail. The installer boots fine on the 2011 iMac, either GPT or MBR. What is it about the damned MBP that stops it doing this? It will boot and install Mint, for example, just fine.
Answers on a postcard...
Is it the dreaded AMD Graphics Card grey screen of death problem? If so....solution below:

DCBassman

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2021
West Devon, UK
Oh, that takes me back to Saturday morning TV and the hope that my postcard would be the winner/be read out.

Remember when Five Star fell victim to a malicious caller during a phone-in session? (NSFW so I won't be sharing it.)

Now onto answers - what about Windows 11? Is that an option? On the Linux front have you tried Xubuntu? It has much lower system requirements and is specifically tailored for older machines. If you can get it working then it could be a good match for the MB 2,1.
It seems all other distros work, except MX...And not interested in W11. The 2,1 runs MX well, the 8,2 *should* eat it for breakfast.
Is it the dreaded AMD Graphics Card grey screen of death problem? If so....solution below:

No, this MBP still has a good GPU.
Puzzling. But a day at the dentist looms, so it will stay puzzling for now!
Thanks for the answers though. Will go through that video and see if it helps anyway. Maybe the GPU is dying, slowly?

Last edited:

I really, really wanted to make a wordplay on this, with “The Slightest Touch” being the first song to come to mind, and then realized I couldn’t find anything suitable with the same rhyme and metering as “…and I go crazy with desire…” 🤷‍♀️

The nearest was the nonsensical “…and I tell crazy to retire…”

• Haha

bobesch

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2015
Kiel, Germany

1. On my MBP4,1 running dosdude1-patched High Sierra, the SSD is partitioned three ways: SL, patched HS, and patched HS installer (the one which would usually be on a USB stick);
  2. Booting into dosdude1-patched High Sierra installer gets to the installer, but disabling SIP from that terminal window is not permitted (recovery partition boot is required);
  3. Booting into bog-standard High Sierra installer from USB stick doesn’t work: EFI faults with unsupported system;
  4. Booting into recovery partition on the dosdude-patched High Sierra is not permitted: unsupported system;
  5. The dark mode hack link supplied by eyoungren above necessitates disabling SIP first; and
  6. SIP may only be disabled from booting into a bog-standard recovery partition, which … see #4.

Ha, that's kind of tricky! Havn't been aware of that.

Your three partitions:
Volumes within an APFS-Container or a real HFS+Partition for the patched HS_macOS_Installer?

Reactions: B S Magnet

Wowfunhappy

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2019

Can you boot an El Capitan USB installer? You should be able to disable SIP from there.

TheShortTimer

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2017
London, UK
I really, really wanted to make a wordplay on this, with “The Slightest Touch” being the first song to come to mind, and then realized I couldn’t find anything suitable with the same rhyme and metering as “…and I go crazy with desire…” 🤷‍♀️

The nearest was the nonsensical “…and I tell crazy to retire…”

That's fine but there's plenty of material to construct a rhyme that's truly sublime if you take the time to listen to the absolutely divine "Rain or Shine." but for me, this marks the end of the line because going off-topic can be a capital crime. ;)

(Drawing inspiration from the God MC Rakim Allah and also the late, great Miguel Piñero and his tribute to The Lower East Side.)

Back on topic. With the assistance of my ever trusty 2011 MBP running High Sierra, I managed to track down a couple of Cinefantastique issues from the 80s and 90s that focus heavily on contemporaneous Star Trek films and I had a great time reading through the features and articles. It's such a shame that I didn't know about this magazine back then - my younger Trekkie self would've experienced an overload from all the background information. :D

69PcGAI.png

w7QDcCE.png

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
New toys…

Synology NAS finally arrived - 6TB, came with the drives. Will be working on that quite a bit later. It's going to replace the PowerMac G4 'NAS'.

But, what I was testing when I took the pics was the Thunderbolt 2 dock. I bought it based on the picture the seller used, which showed a Firewire 800 port. Sadly, the seller used the WRONG picture and I got the device with the HDMI port. Had I known that, I would not have bought it. The seller did refund 1/3 of the price because of that though. So while I'm not happy, it's acceptable. There are two versions of this dock it seems. One with the HDMI port and one with the FW800 port. Guess which one is the hardest to find?! Yeah, Firewire.

It's like the seller I bought the black denim pair of Dickies shorts from. That guy sent my shorts off to China and sent me a box full of Happy Meal toys! SMH!!!

Anyway, I still have use for it. But I needed a TB cable. That finally arrived today and I could test the dock. It's working. :D

2024-04-29 14.02.14.jpg 2024-04-29 14.02.27.jpg 2024-04-29 14.02.36.jpg

Last edited:

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I managed to track down a couple of Cinefantastique issues from the 80s and 90s that focus heavily on contemporaneous Star Trek films and I had a great time reading through the features and articles. It's such a shame that I didn't know about this magazine back then - my younger Trekkie self would've experienced an overload from all the background information. :D
Cinefantastique was quite popular when I was a teen. You could usually pick a copy up at Waldenbooks or B. Dalton Booksellers. Both of those book stores are long defunct and were usually present only in malls. Malls, which I frequented as a teen and on in to my early 20s.

By a certain point though the popularity wasn't enough and the book stores stopped stocking them. That was around the time that Barnes & Noble started to dominate everything. At that point you could really only find them in comic book shops. Which fortunately, I ALSO frequented. Comic book shops were the only places you could get RPG materials (Dungeons & Dragons and so on).

I have a few Cinefantastique in the garage, one being an issue covering Return of the Jedi and several covering ST:TNG, Voyager and DS9. My problem with Cinefantastique was that while it did feature Sci-Fi and some Fantasy, it tended to be weighted towards horror flicks. And that REALLY is NOT my thing at all.

I did have discretionary money at one point and subscriptions to magazines I liked. This would have been one of them, but I wasn't willing to pay what they were asking for the hit and miss of content I actually wanted. It's unfortunate.

Glad you found out about it though. When they had Star Trek stuff and other stuff I was interested in, it was all great.

Can you boot an El Capitan USB installer? You should be able to disable SIP from there.

This might work. If the other two suggestions don’t pan out, I’ll look at it.

I’d need to pull and set up the El Capitan installer, as it (and Yosemite) was a version of OS X I skipped entirely at the time and, thus, don’t keep around on my file server.

That's fine but there's plenty of material to construct a rhyme that's truly sublime if you take the time to listen to the absolutely divine "Rain or Shine." but for me, this marks the end of the line because going off-topic can be a capital crime. ;)

I see what you did there. :D

Also, aside from almost forgetting “Rain or Shine” (barely dented charts here), I’m reminded once again by how much of a soft spot I have for mid ’80s British R&B. The hook of “now” leading into chorus has me thinking of how Jaki Graham dropped hooks like that into several of her singles (“Breaking Away”, the lead into the bridge of “Round and Round”, and so on). Wonderful stuff.

Last edited:

MacFoxG4

macrumors 6502
Nov 22, 2019
While still running Sonoma 14.3.1 on the 2012 MBP, I updated OCLP to 1.4.3 and afterwards Sonoma became unbootable. I moved over to the Windows partition and have been using that as my main OS since then. Unsure if I want to try patched Sonoma again or just not bother and keep daily driving Windows 10.

rin67630

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2022
While still running Sonoma 14.3.1 on the 2012 MBP, I updated OCLP to 1.4.3 and afterwards Sonoma became unbootable. I moved over to the Windows partition and have been using that as my main OS since then. Unsure if I want to try patched Sonoma again or just not bother and keep daily driving Windows 10.
I've completely given up fiddling with macOS and am happy on Windows.
Once you switch, it takes a while until all is settled, but then you really begin to appreciate a stable OS where everything runs smoothly, irrespective of being brand new or a version from 20 years ago.

Reactions: DCBassman
I've completely given up fiddling with macOS and am happy on Windows.
Once you switch, it takes a while until all is settled, but then you really begin to appreciate a stable OS where everything runs smoothly, irrespective of being brand new or a version from 20 years ago.

If Windows ends up being your thing, then run with it like the wind.

DCBassman

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2021
West Devon, UK
Today is another MacMini day. The polycarbonate 3,1 is fairly easy to get into and break down. The SSD I put in it has started to fail, so I gathered together some bits and went for a rebuild. New Crucial SSD, optical drive bay caddy for another disk. The optical drive, as is so common on Macs, had failed anyhow. The SSD had MX Linux on it, as I'd transferred it almost unused from one of the 11" Asus laptops. Rebuilt it all, and hey presto, MX shook its head, poked about in its new home, and got on with it. I like MX. However, it went straight back to El Capitan, and now has a terabyte secondary drive.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.