Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joema2

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2013
ProRes used mainly for mainstream projects that needs a quick turnaround time and low storage environments.

ProRes acquisition is commonly used on major feature films costing $100 million. As mentioned in this article, ProRes 4444 is "the workhorse of professional filmmakers". The ALEXA XR/XT supports the even higher end ProRes 4444 XQ: http://www.arri.com/news/news/alexa-xrxt-supports-new-prores-4444-xq/

...Even though the highest quality ProRes 4444 10bit retains a wealth of "image information", this data is still far less than what you get with RAW.And for serious projects, in post production for example color correction,you need that missing "image information"...

If professional filmmakers have been making $100 million feature films for years using ProRes, it's obvious they don't *need* RAW. Award-winning director Noam Kroll said there is "little to no difference when color grading": https://www.premiumbeat.com/blog/prores-4444-vs-raw-can-you-spot-the-difference/

...Try in the college to work with 4k RAW files to see how taxing is for the computer...

Few cameras used by anyone reading this forum shoot 4k RAW video. If a DOP or 1st AE is using a 4k RAW workflow they won't be reading Mac Rumors to see what computer they need. They will already know this. They won't be playing with a little RAW file in college -- they will be dealing with 50-100 terabytes of material in a time-critical production environment.

However you don't need 4k (whether RAW or ProRes) to make a feature film. 70% of the 2012 movie Act of Valor was shot on the Canon 5D Mark II.

Last edited:

faneos

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2012
Is that true for the 2012 i7 vs 2017 i5?

The multi core benchmarks are showing a clear advantage to the newer i5 chips over the 2012 i7. It's not night and day but there seems to be a difference unless I am missing something with Premiere and the chip architecture.

https://browser.primatelabs.com/mac-benchmarks
These are generic benchmarks.My comment was about video editing applications.
[doublepost=1499606132][/doublepost]
ProRes acquisition is commonly used on major feature films costing $100 million. As mentioned in this article, ProRes 4444 is "the workhorse of professional filmmakers". The ALEXA XR/XT supports the even higher end ProRes 4444 XQ: http://www.arri.com/news/news/alexa-xrxt-supports-new-prores-4444-xq/

If professional filmmakers have been making $100 million feature films for years using ProRes, it's obvious they don't *need* RAW. Award-winning director Noam Kroll said there is "little to no difference when color grading": https://www.premiumbeat.com/blog/prores-4444-vs-raw-can-you-spot-the-difference/

Few cameras used by anyone reading this forum shoot 4k RAW video. If a DOP or 1st AE is using a 4k RAW workflow they won't be reading Mac Rumors to see what computer they need. They will already know this. They won't be playing with a little RAW file in college -- they will be dealing with 50-100 terabytes of material in a time-critical production environment.

However you don't need 4k (whether RAW or ProRes) to make a feature film. 70% of the 2012 movie Act of Valor was shot on the Canon 5D Mark II.

Opinions are like a******s everyone have one.Personally I see a significant difference between RAW and anything else.Last time I worked with ProRes was back in Original Final Cut Pro era.Expiriment with different formats in college and tell us your personal opinion.

A lot of guys including me edit RAW 4k and up in these forums and are owners of RED cameras.They post mainly in Mac Pro section.
OP make his first steps in the business and because I have some years of experience I post-advice him to make the right disicion.He didn't say he want a computer to edit his birthday or his vacations.

True,In Act of Valor you need experience to spot a difference between film and mark ii shots.This called post production Magick my friend :D.

Last edited:

fathergll

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2014
These are generic benchmarks.My comment was about video editing applications.

Right. I did indicate in my post that I might be missing something with Premiere and the chip architecture. Do you have benchmarks showing the difference between 2012 i7 vs 2017 i5? Could be helpful for the OP to see exactly what the differences are and an education for myself.

joema2

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2013
....A lot of guys including me edit RAW 4k and up in these forums and are owners of RED cameras.They post mainly in Mac Pro section...OP make his first steps in the business and because I have some years of experience I post-advice him to make the right disicion....

He clearly said he's just starting out as a video editor and wanted advice for how to configure an iMac. I don't see how advice about 4k RAW video and RED cameras is of any help to him.

Reactions: Samurai Shampoo

faneos

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2012
Right. I did indicate in my post that I might be missing something with Premiere and the chip architecture. Do you have benchmarks showing the difference between 2012 i7 vs 2017 i5? Could be helpful for the OP to see exactly what the differences are and an education for myself.
You can educate yourself using Google search.

zyr123

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2009
If it is 1080p low compressed format from a professional video camera,I don't think an i5 Mac will do the job like a breeze.For example AVC Intra 100 1080p from a Panasonfic P2 HPX500.
[doublepost=1499435128][/doublepost]
Raw footage?
FS7 has a CMOS sensor not CCD thus the video quality is significantly lower.

not raw. Just 4k straight out from the fs7.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.