Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PracticalMac

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 22, 2009
Houston, TX
The Tax Law is a massive gim-me to business, especially those big internationally.
Those companies now have billions more to spend, which means those who can invest in companies will reap TRILLIONS of dollars in gains over next few years.

So, what are you investing in?

I put most of my 401k into FOCKX and FCNKX, with a small chunk in FGROX.
First 2 gained >29% last year, and doing >30% so far this year.
Since Jan 2 I have gained $5,600 on a 97k investment, 17.3% gain.

Not including some smaller amounts in IRA's.

And yes, I do have Apple stock, and FB, and McD (almost 2x since invested)

Whats your hot stock?

Last edited:
Reactions: rafark

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Does Bitcoin count? I bought some when it was $4k, sold when it hit $14k (kicked myself for not waiting a bit). Now, I'm wondering if I should buy some now that the price came down.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
I have a financial advisor. I have several accounts with them. All performing well but my active managed account is up 22% this year. Overall, I'm up just under 16% for the year. Well worth the fees I pay.

I also maintain what I call my play stock account since 2001. It's about 75% AAPL and the rest a mixture of EFTs. It's up 2300% since inception.

PracticalMac

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 22, 2009
Houston, TX
I have a financial advisor. I have several accounts with them. All performing well but my active managed account is up 22% this year. Overall, I'm up just under 16% for the year. Well worth the fees I pay.

I also maintain what I call my play stock account since 2001. It's about 75% AAPL and the rest a mixture of EFTs. It's up 2300% since inception.

Details?

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
Please list, and why.

It's a Fidelity "Freedom Fund" which itself is just a basket of a lot of many many mutual funds.

As to why? Two reasons (1) It's a retirement 401K with a very limited number of options to pick from anyway--I can't pick individual stocks. (2) The massive, overwhelming majority of people who try to invest in individual stocks lose money compared to the stock market average.

Reactions: JoeInMilwaukee

PracticalMac

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 22, 2009
Houston, TX
It's a Fidelity "Freedom Fund" which itself is just a basket of a lot of many many mutual funds.

As to why? Two reasons (1) It's a retirement 401K with a very limited number of options to pick from anyway--I can't pick individual stocks. (2) The massive, overwhelming majority of people who try to invest in individual stocks lose money compared to the stock market average.

I have that option too, but looking over my list I had the ones I picked above.

Do you have the Freedom Fund 2065 selected?

Stocks:
While I have had a few losers, I was able o gain FAR more than lost.
If you are not big into following stocks, choose what that pay Dividends.
[doublepost=1516397755][/doublepost]
How did you get 17.3%?

$5600 / $97000 = 0.05773 or a 5.773% gain.

Badly presented (sorry).
$5600 from $97000 what I gained over last 12 days.
My 401k gain over year is 17.3%, mainly because I had some lesser performing funds I transferred out into those listed above.

rafark

macrumors 68000
Sep 1, 2017
What do you think about buying from small startups? Can't that perform better in the long term? More risky?

Bart Kela

Suspended
Oct 12, 2016
Searching...
Badly presented (sorry).
$5600 from $97000 what I gained over last 12 days.
So a +5.773% YTD gain like I calculated. That makes more sense since the S&P 500 index's YTD gain is +5.1%. The Nasdaq Composite index is up +6.27% YTD. Your return is right between those two indexes.

My 401k gain over year is 17.3%, mainly because I had some lesser performing funds I transferred out into those listed above.
The S&P 500 index's one year gain is +23.7%. The Nasdaq Composite index's one year gain is +32.1%.

Good move to get out of those lesser performing funds since your 401k is underperforming the market.

Reactions: PracticalMac

rafark

macrumors 68000
Sep 1, 2017
Please clarify what you would be buying from small startups that would be considered an investment.

I mean investing in startups by acquiring a % of a small company for the long term, say 10 or more years.

Bart Kela

Suspended
Oct 12, 2016
Searching...
I mean investing in startups by acquiring a % of a small company for the long term, say 10 or more years.
Very risky.

Unless you are well connected with the target companies and have a strong understanding of the opportunities, it is probably a poor strategy. Plain old Joe Investor from the boondocks has little clue about this.

There are probably only 4-6 places in the USA where one might have enough exposure to the startup world to make these sort of determinations.

If you do this pre-IPO, you really need a lawyer to write up the contract. It's not retail investing. Pretty much all of the successful VCs are lawyers or have a lot of experience negotiating deals.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
I have that option too, but looking over my list I had the ones I picked above.

Do you have the Freedom Fund 2065 selected?

Well, okay, I fibbed a bit. I didn't think you would want so much detail.

I actually looked at the Freedom Fund targeted for my retirement year, but then decided I don't want bonds this early because I'm not retiring any time soon. So then I picked a basked of mutual funds that was identical to that Freedom Fund, minus the bonds it had.

The whole point of Freedom Funds is to be aggressive early to have the greatest overall gains, then automatically switch to bonds later to minimize risk near retirement. But for some reason Fidelity still includes some bonds early, so that's why I made my own basket that matches the Freedom Fund minus the bonds. I don't need low-risk funds in there now and even if someone could argue that I should, the amount they include isn't enough protection to be meaningful anyway.

PracticalMac

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 22, 2009
Houston, TX
Well, okay, I fibbed a bit. I didn't think you would want so much detail.

I actually looked at the Freedom Fund targeted for my retirement year, but then decided I don't want bonds this early because I'm not retiring any time soon. So then I picked a basked of mutual funds that was identical to that Freedom Fund, minus the bonds it had.

The whole point of Freedom Funds is to be aggressive early to have the greatest overall gains, then automatically switch to bonds later to minimize risk near retirement. But for some reason Fidelity still includes some bonds early, so that's why I made my own basket that matches the Freedom Fund minus the bonds. I don't need low-risk funds in there now and even if someone could argue that I should, the amount they include isn't enough protection to be meaningful anyway.

The idea for FF is good, an invest(Deposit)-and-forget system.

....buuut the rates are really poor, and if one simply looks at investment once a month they will be far better.

I started FF 2065 enough though I would retire far sooner, but after looking at past gains I said F this and moved to the finds with biggest gains but lowest expense (with 1 exception).

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
Interesting. My Fidelity rep showed me analysis of purchase strategies. It shows that if you buy funds with the best past gains, then you end up underperforming the market by more than any other strategy. It is the equivalent of "buying high".

It is possible that you bought high and outperformed the market anyway, but that would make you exceptional as compared to the group who use that strategy overall. Or maybe I misunderstand what you are saying.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.