Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PracticalMac

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 22, 2009
Houston, TX
Have a handful of Avery. @PracticalMac The problem I see with marijuana other than the biased reports and questionable long-term outlook on health is that even if the Dems win in 2020 or this November and impeach (long shot), there is zero guarantee that the Dems would push for de-scheduling of the drug. There's always a lot of talk, especially in recent years, but I don't see it happening anytime soon. Until that happens, I consider the industry stocks volatile but with projected growth. On the other hand, there's some interesting research being done into synthesized compounds derived from natural cannabis for chronic pain relief in the absence of opioids. Which should alleviate the problem a portion of the country is suffering from. And I think drug manufacturers would want to cut back on production since it'll shrink the legal wrath they may face in the future. Back in the 80s, there was research into capsaicin being done for topical pain relief. The results, IIRC, weren't great until they managed to provide a stabilized spray or cream. Personally, as someone who's used capsaicin cream and Voltaren, the former is much more efficient at pain relief, albeit slower, and doesn't introduce risk of excess dose through the skin, nor any bad reactions from inactive or active ingredients.

Native Americans used to use wintergreen, the plant, and crush it and use the oils it produced to provide pain relief. The oil is readily available and is used in a variety of ways. It's potent stuff. Given the nature of the oil and how it's used, it wouldn't be too difficult to get into acute overdose akin to that of aspirin.

Something you want to use nylon gloves with if dosing a humidifier. Or you could be like me and opt for lime and mint oil during the fall and relive the memories of a warm summer sitting back with mojitos. Rum optional.

Interesting advice!

Over weekend Texas has made legal Cannabis medicine, prescribed by a only 15 doctors.
If Texas can offer legal prescription, then good bet will be removed from Federal restriction.

At the very least, medical will make it. And sure it could be synthesized, but cannabis is easy to grow and consume, plus you always have the "organic" people :p

Finally, cannabis also makes top quality fabric and rope, growing requires permission. Removing controlled substance restriction will allow farmers to plant more, price drop.

statik13

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2008
Thanks for news on Canada. Missed that part.
This one?
My Marijuana Canada Inc (CNSX:MYM)

DNKN is Dunkin and strong competitor to SBUX, street word is a good buy and pay off dividends. Food companies seem to be a good bet these days, such as DSP.

AVY is maker of all those quality labels, but they also make RFID tags that are predicted to grow rapidly. Bar code's have reliability issues, RFID is much more reliable and readers becoming more commonplace

Haven't heard of MYM. The top three I invested in are TSE:APH, TSE:WEED and TSE:ACB.

If you do want to get in, be faithful with setting stop losses. Last week there was a correction of 40%. This is the first time it happened, but definitely had investors worry that people are racing towards the exits. There's been about a 20% recovery since then and seems a bit more stable.

I pulled out about 2/3 of my investment before the drop so am mostly playing with the banks money. Even at the recent pull back I'd only invest money you are willing to lose. Potential for big rewards, but also big risks with any emerging industry.

Reactions: PracticalMac
Jul 4, 2015
Paris
Does Bitcoin count? I bought some when it was $4k, sold when it hit $14k (kicked myself for not waiting a bit). Now, I'm wondering if I should buy some now that the price came down.

You are fortunate to make this money but you must remember that you have taken someone's money when you sold and they are somewhere in the world struggling to make the money back. This is the nature of a pyramid structure.

Also, this is a very big point to consider, many many criminals and child abusers were the early purchasers and holders of these virtual tokens. When you invest into this, first your money goes to making those people rich. They sold a child on the dark net. They earned virtual tokens for the trade. They held on to tokens because the "coins" appreciate in value when people like you inject money as "investment". It means you feed the child sex trade even though you didn't intend to make it more profitable than ever. So more children go missing.

BE SUPER CAREFUL of the decisions you make in life. If something comes free there is a cost somewhere else.

Reactions: Krayzkat

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
You are fortunate to make this money but you must remember that you have taken someone's money when you sold and they are somewhere in the world struggling to make the money back. This is the nature of a pyramid structure.

Also, this is a very big point to consider, many many criminals and child abusers were the early purchasers and holders of these virtual tokens. When you invest into this, first your money goes to making those people rich. They sold a child on the dark net. They earned virtual tokens for the trade. They held on to tokens because the "coins" appreciate in value when people like you inject money as "investment". It means you feed the child sex trade even though you didn't intend to make it more profitable than ever. So more children go missing.

BE SUPER CAREFUL of the decisions you make in life. If something comes free there is a cost somewhere else.

Be careful when using cash or gold then! Better yet, don’t use it. Go on and trade stuff you have for stuff you need.

Jul 4, 2015
Paris
Be careful when using cash or gold then! Better yet, don’t use it. Go on and trade stuff you have for stuff you need.

Don't want to be rude but when someone has given you very important advice (and I cant emphasis how dangerous creeptocurrencies are) you must think a little harder when you reply.

When a criminal earns cash the value of their asset depreciates 2% every year like it should and the public is largely isolated from making that cretin wealthier. When they take creepto payments the value of their assets increases when gullible members of the public invest into the pyramid. So Mr and Mrs Jones buy the creeptocurrencies hoping to get rich but the first person who gets their money is the guy who has been selling children for bitcoins and other shitcoins on the darkweb for the last decade. Or a Nazi group. Or a terrorist. Or maybe some hostile regime.

Very important to think about where your money goes otherwise this could be the end of whatever stability and comfort we have in society.

Phil in ocala

Suspended
Jul 14, 2016
Does Bitcoin count? I bought some when it was $4k, sold when it hit $14k (kicked myself for not waiting a bit). Now, I'm wondering if I should buy some now that the price came down.
_________
This new trade war makes all investments a bad idea other can cash

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
_________
This new trade war makes all investments a bad idea other can cash

Well I'm willing to invest a few bucks in seeds and later some tomato plants for my veggie garden again. That's one way to stave off inflation without putting too much at risk as long as my back and leg muscles hold up. :D

stylinexpat

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2009
Well I'm willing to invest a few bucks in seeds and later some tomato plants for my veggie garden again. That's one way to stave off inflation without putting too much at risk as long as my back and leg muscles hold up. :D

On Friday oil prices went up. Watch what happens this week to oil prices. Oil Futures open up soon for trading. Prince Salman is supposed to meet Trump in Washington this week.

I would wait a bit before buying Bitcoin or other Cryptocurrencies for now.

statik13

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2008
With the upcoming promise of more and more electric cars I'm seriously considering adding some cobalt stocks to my portfolio... Zero research done so far ;)

stylinexpat

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2009
Cryptocurrency is... sooner or later going to get regulated as if it were anthrax. Anyway now not the time to go there.

When the stock markets first opened up back in the days there was a big boom in the beginning followed by a big bust after. Follow Each bubble that burst the markets continued their way up and new highs were reached. This requires long periods of time though and I reckon the same will apply for Cryptocurrencies

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
When the stock markets first opened up back in the days there was a big boom in the beginning followed by a big bust after. Follow Each bubble that burst the markets continued their way up and new highs were reached. This requires long periods of time though and I reckon the same will apply for Cryptocurrencies

Well not everyone's into charts and known patterns, but the Death Cross does seem to be one worth keeping an eye on since it's a pretty bearish take. Not that the past precisely predicts the future, but as a friend of mine likes to say, it only gets the exact dates wrong for the next rude awakening.

stylinexpat

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2009
Well not everyone's into charts and known patterns, but the Death Cross does seem to be one worth keeping an eye on since it's a pretty bearish take. Not that the past precisely predicts the future, but as a friend of mine likes to say, it only gets the exact dates wrong for the next rude awakening.
I also can not get the exact dates right but we will see $20K again. Wait and see

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Thread Revival!
My Dad made >$20k on Tesla stock recently, so I was inspired and although I stopped personally managing my 401k account, (turned it over to a managed Fidelity account when I retired), I have decided to put a small amount of $$ into my TDAmeritrade account and do a little trading.

I was amazed when I discovered that TDAmeritrade does not charge a commission for trade. This takes a little bit of a load off my mind, when I can get into and out of stocks with no charge! ?

One thing concerns me a bit, I used to have the impression that Stop Losses were effective as long as they are in effect, but I was advised by TDA customer service advisor in a discussion that Stop losses were only effective during normal market hours. That after market closure during extended hours they don’t necessarily work with a significant drop of the stock during that time.

As I recall during market hours a stop loss acts as a limit order, but once the price is hit, it coverts to a market order, and sells at the next sale price. But during extended hours the market is closed, so if the price is skipped in a drop, it never executes, or it does not execute as a market order until the market opens and by then the price maybe well below the stop price you designated. Anyone know?

I’m scheduled for a tour of the Think or Swim Trading Software, so I’ll get clarification on this.

Erehy Dobon

Suspended
Feb 16, 2018
No service
I was amazed when I discovered that TDAmeritrade does not charge a commission for trade. This takes a little bit of a load off my mind, when I can get into and out of stocks with no charge! ?
This happened around September 2019. One of the discount brokerages got rid of trade commissions and the rest of them followed shortly thereafter (within a couple of weeks) including my brokerage Fidelity.

They all advertised this but clearly you weren't paying attention.

Note that this applies only to standard equity trades, at least for Fidelity. Options trades still have a commission fee. There's also a tiny "activity fee" when you sell but it's pennies per one thousand dollars of assets.

This was very freeing for me as a swing trader. I can buy/sell an asset in smaller lots without being dinged a flat fee per transaction. It is also more encouraging to make more shorter-term trades.

Last edited:
Reactions: Huntn

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
This happened around September 2019. One of the discount brokerages got rid of trade commissions and the rest of them followed shortly thereafter (within a couple of weeks) including my brokerage Fidelity.

They all advertised this but clearly you weren't paying attention.

Note that this applies only to standard equity trades, at least for Fidelity. Options trades still have a commission fee. There's also a tiny "activity fee" when you sell but it's pennies per one thousand dollars of assets.

This was very freeing for me as a swing trader. I can buy/sell an asset in smaller lots without being dinged a flat fee per transaction. It is also more encouraging to make more shorter-term trades.
I was not trading stocks then and not paying attention. What concerns me is that I not sure I want to take the required time to trade stocks. As you know it requires some research and paying attention, which consumes time. My dad who is a big trader, virtually spends half of everyday sitting on his computer. ?

Richard8655

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
Chicago suburbs
I would say a good stock market index ETF, especially from Vanguard. VTI (total stock market) or VOO (S&P 500) are good choices. The market is expected to do well this year, with vaccines on the way and further economic recovery forecasted. These are not so risky like individual stocks.

rainafterthesun

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
This is also what led to TD being brought out by schwab who was the first to start w/no fee on equity trades.

options, foreign markets, certain mutual funds, etc all still have fees.

I would say a good stock market index ETF, especially from Vanguard. VTI (total stock market) or VOO (S&P 500) are good choices.
This is for people who don’t want to take any risk or have any thoughts as to what to invest in—motif was an interesting choice to do investing with before schwab brought them out. You build your own mini index but much more customizable.

I brought voo when it hit a low of $211-$215 roughly and I wouldn’t buy it now.

Can anyone name a good source to judge economic sector relative strength?
Thanks
What do you mean? Specifically area for research? Or do you mean actual securities.

I was not trading stocks then and not paying attention. What concerns me is that I not sure I want to take the required time to trade stocks. As you know it requires some research and paying attention, which consumes time. My dad who is a big trader, virtually spends half of everyday sitting on his computer. ?
You can do well with trading if you take the emotional part of it out—and if you can recognize patterns, keep up with news/market.

trading is not difficult. Learning to not time the market is difficult.

as for Bitcoin:

117E02DC-2727-4414-9112-51E6F3298983.png

Richard8655

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
Chicago suburbs
This is also what led to TD being brought out by schwab who was the first to start w/no fee on equity trades.

options, foreign markets, certain mutual funds, etc all still have fees.

This is for people who don’t want to take any risk or have any thoughts as to what to invest in—motif was an interesting choice to do investing with before schwab brought them out. You build your own mini index but much more customizable.

I brought voo when it hit a low of $211-$215 roughly and I wouldn’t buy it now.

What do you mean? Specifically area for research? Or do you mean actual securities.

You can do well with trading if you take the emotional part of it out—and if you can recognize patterns, keep up with news/market.

trading is not difficult. Learning to not time the market is difficult.

as for Bitcoin:

View attachment 1714225

Stock market index ETFs have been acknowledged by most investment advisors as beating individual stocks over time. Unless you just had unusually bad timing. Vanguard index ETFs are especially well regarded. I have these ETFs and over the years they've done exceptionally well without the volatility of individual stocks. Also, many people don't have the time or knowledge to create their own index funds, and these are the safest routes to solid market investments.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.