Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

intz2nu

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 28, 2012
Guys this is a no troll serious question, what exactly is a Hackintosh?

intz2nu

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 28, 2012
Ahhh I see so kind of like a custom built machine or maybe a prior Windows machine but instead of a Win OS its using Mac OS? interesting interesting, is there a such thing of a Mac running Windows strictly as a stand alone without the Mac OS being part of the computer?

doitdada

Suspended
Oct 14, 2013
GEZzrTl.jpg

This is a Hackintosh running El Capitan 10.11.3 without issues. Virtually silent. You can also multi boot Windows, Linux and OS X like with BootCamp. You just have to be very specific about motherboards, wifi cards and sound cards.

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
Ahhh I see so kind of like a custom built machine or maybe a prior Windows machine but instead of a Win OS its using Mac OS?
Yes. As long as the hardware has drivers in OSX, which is of course the hardest part to get right, then it is possible to hack OSX onto it. Any update may ruin your install thougj.

Reactions: old-wiz

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
GEZzrTl.jpg

This is a Hackintosh running El Capitan 10.11.3 without issues. Virtually silent. You can also multi boot Windows, Linux and OS X like with BootCamp. You just have to be very specific about motherboards, wifi cards and sound cards.

Dude! 2007 called. It wants its camera phone back! :)

tjwilliams25

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2014
Montana
Ahhh I see so kind of like a custom built machine or maybe a prior Windows machine but instead of a Win OS its using Mac OS? interesting interesting, is there a such thing of a Mac running Windows strictly as a stand alone without the Mac OS being part of the computer?

Yes, you can totally run Windows on a Mac without OS X installed, but why would you want to? It kind of defeats the purpose of buying a Mac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.