Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shendeguo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 5, 2021
I have been trying to find a browser that I can install onto an older mac: 10.6.8.
Can anyone recommend a browser that I can use. I have been trying to install various firefox 48.0.2 and am still trying to find something that is functional. Most are not loading web pages.
thanks.

Last edited:

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
Take a look at this thread for browsers for early Intel Macs. It also lists the earliest compatible Mac OS version. You should download a few of them. To see which you like the most. Also websites which are broken on one browser may work on another.

tompaulman

macrumors member
May 16, 2021
I used to use ArcticFox until recently but then found out that SpiderWeb was better. In ArcticFox couldn't properly use some of my favorite websites so I started looking for an alternative and found SpiderWeb which can do what ArcticFox couldn't do. It also feels faster.

Hombre53

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2018
I used to use ArcticFox until recently but then found out that SpiderWeb was better. In ArcticFox couldn't properly use some of my favorite websites so I started looking for an alternative and found SpiderWeb which can do what ArcticFox couldn't do. It also feels faster.
Applejacks is/was one of the best diagnostic apps that ran great with SL. It's still out there, I'm going to download it and run it again on my late 2009 iMac 27" that originally shipped with 10.6.3 SL back in 2009-10. Thanks for the tip on SpiderWeb, I'll run it also!

ojfd

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2020
I am using this one for browsing with more or less success

Many pages do not work or only work partially, but that's ok in my case. I use it daily as my main browser. MBP2009/SL.

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
I just recently updated both SpiderWeb and InterWeb. They both now have TLS 1.3 support added along some other updates.

Cheers

Reactions: ojfd
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.