Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Peepo

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2009
I have two MBP 13" 2013, one 8/512 i5 and another 4/256 i5 (upgraded to 256SSD after 128GB died). The latter one had the problem with display coating coming off and looks like crap if viewing on certain angle but still works - I have at work so I can access Mac stuff if needed. My 8/512 model has not had any issues and has recently replaced my dead iMac 2011 as the "house" computer which I have at home for some business reasons, but I rarely want to use a computer anymore down in my basement where it is located anymore than I need to. I got a MacBook Air 2018 8/256 to use as my portable computer which replaced my MBP 13.

However, I just bought a used MBP 15" 2012 i7 2.3Ghz quad core with discrete GPU for $260 CAD. I installed the 480GB SSD and 16GB RAM that I had previously in my dead iMac. Then I installed Mojave, and I am actually impressed with it. I am planning on using it now to edit old SD and HD video I dumped years ago which I never got around to do on my iMac (again, because way downstairs). Sure the screen resolution is not good and is not IPS screen, but there is still something about it that is enjoyable to use.

loby

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
I have two MBP 13" 2013, one 8/512 i5 and another 4/256 i5 (upgraded to 256SSD after 128GB died). The latter one had the problem with display coating coming off and looks like crap if viewing on certain angle but still works - I have at work so I can access Mac stuff if needed. My 8/512 model has not had any issues and has recently replaced my dead iMac 2011 as the "house" computer which I have at home for some business reasons, but I rarely want to use a computer anymore down in my basement where it is located anymore than I need to. I got a MacBook Air 2018 8/256 to use as my portable computer which replaced my MBP 13.

However, I just bought a used MBP 15" 2012 i7 2.3Ghz quad core with discrete GPU for $260 CAD. I installed the 480GB SSD and 16GB RAM that I had previously in my dead iMac. Then I installed Mojave, and I am actually impressed with it. I am planning on using it now to edit old SD and HD video I dumped years ago which I never got around to do on my iMac (again, because way downstairs). Sure the screen resolution is not good and is not IPS screen, but there is still something about it that is enjoyable to use.

I have both a MacBook pro 13" 2010 i7 Dual Core 16GB RAM with a 480 SSD and a 15" MacBook pro 2018 i9 6 Core 32 GB RAM, 1 TB Hard drive (nice).

Which one is better?....REALLY...it depends on needs and preference.

The 15" MacBook Pro 2018 I like everything about it. Once you get use to the keyboard, going back to the older scissor-type keyboard feels off. I like both the old and new keyboards. Like the touch bar, but would like more customization. The audio issues seem to be fixed...speakers and sound is excellent. Battery life is good. Excellent for FCPX and Logic which are my main reason upgrading to the 2018 model. Larger screen is great for both programs. Like the design and modern look, including the lighter & thinner design. Doggles..a pain, but understandable. Price is another discussion...

But...even though I like my 15" MacBook Pro 2018 and would say that one is better...

..for some reason... I still "like" my 13" MacBook Pro 2010 and STILL use it sometimes even though I could use the faster, technically better overall 2018 model. I don't mine the non-retina screen, but like the retina screen.

Which is better? Depends on Need and preference. If you like the older style, get the 2015 model (higher end specs models for longevity). 2016 thu 2018, get the 2018 model if you can afford it due to the power and specs.

sector457

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 7, 2019
Indiana
i have both late 2014 mbp and 2018 both 15"
both are great, just the 2018 is much better in almost everyway
i should reco 2018, those quad cores for the 13" or 6 cores i7, also better ssd
About keyboards:
-as typing feeling i still think i prefer the scissor keyboard but i think this is because i still use them both
-i type faster on the new ones
-i prefer the backlit keyboard of the 2018 one
About Speakers
- no doubt the 2018 one , now that apple fixed a lot of audio issues with the 10.14.4
Display
- clear the winner is the 2018
Battery life
-i still get around 6-7 hours of my late 2014 mbp at light-medium usage (around 2 hours under fully loaded)
-i get on the same load around 9-10 hours on the 2018 (around 3-4 hours under fully load)
Trackpad
-first i felt its too big the 2018 one, but after around 20 hours spent on it, i like it a lot
- i feel the tiny trackpad on the 2014 mbp in not a good way, also click noise is worse than 2018
Build quality
- i prefer the 2018 because of the hinge, the combo of the lighter lid and also lighter hinge, gives you a more pleasant feeling when you close/open it
Ports
-clear the 2018, because you can do almost endless things with usbC/tb3

Thanks for the response! I have looked into the 2016-2018 models, but they all seem to have the known keyboard issue and personally it just is not in my price range at the moment, used or refurbished. I can fix a macbook, so if I find a broken one within the last few years, or just one at a good cost I'm probably going to go for it. Not to say I wouldn't ever use a 2018, but right now it just is not for me.

Isamilis

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2012
Just finished replacing speakers on my MBP 13" 2014. Factors that kept me from buying the new model is butterfly keyboard issues, less user-replaceable parts and prices (like insane price for touchbar version).

Thanks for the response! I have looked into the 2016-2018 models, but they all seem to have the known keyboard issue and personally it just is not in my price range at the moment, used or refurbished. I can fix a macbook, so if I find a broken one within the last few years, or just one at a good cost I'm probably going to go for it. Not to say I wouldn't ever use a 2018, but right now it just is not for me.

sector457

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 7, 2019
Indiana
Alright everyone, I have not come to a consensus yet, but have an idea of what I want to get. Everyone seems to be recommending either the 2015 or the 2014 MacBook Pro, but now I need to know which would be the best. I would say the 2017 is also recommended but as Isamils said, parts are less user-replaceable. This isn't a big issue for me, but something to keep in mind if something were to happen.

I am looking for 16GB of RAM and 256GB SSD (or more, just 256 minimum).

For the 2014, there seem to be two models:

15" (Dedicated Graphics) - Mid 2014
15" (Dual Graphics) - Mid 2014

As for the 2015, there seem to be three models:

13" - Early 2015
15" (Dedicated Graphics) - Mid 2015
15" (Dual Graphics) - Mid 2015

Is there any risk to having non-dedicated graphics and dedicated? Then what about dual graphics vs dedicated?

As for average use, any of these would be fine, I really just need to know what of the 5 would be the optimal choice based from user experience, along if they have run into any issues or 'Applegates' along their usage.

Thanks again for the help everyone!

pshufd

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
Alright everyone, I have not come to a consensus yet, but have an idea of what I want to get. Everyone seems to be recommending either the 2015 or the 2014 MacBook Pro, but now I need to know which would be the best. I would say the 2017 is also recommended but as Isamils said, parts are less user-replaceable. This isn't a big issue for me, but something to keep in mind if something were to happen.

I am looking for 16GB of RAM and 256GB SSD (or more, just 256 minimum).

For the 2014, there seem to be two models:

15" (Dedicated Graphics) - Mid 2014
15" (Dual Graphics) - Mid 2014

As for the 2015, there seem to be three models:

13" - Early 2015
15" (Dedicated Graphics) - Mid 2015
15" (Dual Graphics) - Mid 2015

Is there any risk to having non-dedicated graphics and dedicated? Then what about dual graphics vs dedicated?

As for average use, any of these would be fine, I really just need to know what of the 5 would be the optimal choice based from user experience, along if they have run into any issues or 'Applegates' along their usage.

Thanks again for the help everyone!

My opinion is that the best model to get would be the Mid 2015 15" with AMD Graphics and 2.8 Ghz CPU. The 13 inch is dual-core and you'll run the fan a lot more if you need to do anything heavy like watching YouTube videos. The Dedicated graphics means that you can use the Onboard Video RAM instead of using system RAM. You just get a smoother experience as well.

I have the 13 2015, 15 2015 with AMD and 2.5 Ghz, and the 2014 15 with Intel graphics.

Reactions: sector457

mikzn

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2013
North Vancouver
I have exactly the same mid 2015 MacBook Pro with the same configuration. I agree that it is useful to have 16GB memory, which is the maximum you can get from Apple that time. I don't see as much memory use as you. It is about 3.8GB with Safari opening MacRumors.com. But having a few apps open will quickly consume the memory. So I would second the suggestion of getting as large RAM as you can if you decide to buy a mid-2015 MBP.

Regarding the hard drive, I believe Apple actually uses Samsung SSD in this generation of MacBook Pro. But the Samsung 970 EVO should be a good upgrade to the SSD Apple put in the MBP. I remember reading somewhere that the 970 EVO should give about 50%-60% increase in read and write speed, if not more. I am curious to see your experience. And I am also wondering about the ease of installation and whether you need any adapter for the SSD as Apple used its own type of connector.

Another option is the Samsung 970 pro - super fast on the 2015 rMBP with 16 g mem / i7 etc

Attachments

• DiskSpeedTest-28oct2018.png
    DiskSpeedTest-28oct2018.png
    767.9 KB · Views: 203

Donnation

Suspended
Nov 2, 2014
Apple is selling the maxed out 2015 model today on their refurbished site now. If you prefer that model I'd keep an eye out on there as every couple of days the 2015 model pops up. Its a little more expensive than what you can get one for on eBay, but you are getting a lot more.

Apple's refurbished models are new machines that they've rebuilt, just without the regular box. They are indiscernible from new and are a great option if you are looking for a new machine that costs a little less. At the time I'm writing this they have all 3 models of the 2015 model available. The maxed out version is $2400, which is steep. But I think Apple sells it for that much because A. its essentially new and B. they know there is a serious demand for that older model.

Their refurbished models come with the exact same 1 year warranty with the option to buy Apple Care if you want. They usually sell out of them quick but pop back up every few weeks. I bought a 2015 a few months ago from them and it remains my favorite Apple laptop.

Reactions: sector457

MengkeMary

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2019
Minneapolis
Apple is selling the maxed out 2015 model today on their refurbished site now. If you prefer that model I'd keep an eye out on there as every couple of days the 2015 model pops up. Its a little more expensive than what you can get one for on eBay, but you are getting a lot more.

Apple's refurbished models are new machines that they've rebuilt, just without the regular box. They are indiscernible from new and are a great option if you are looking for a new machine that costs a little less. At the time I'm writing this they have all 3 models of the 2015 model available. The maxed out version is $2400, which is steep. But I think Apple sells it for that much because A. its essentially new and B. they know there is a serious demand for that older model.

Their refurbished models come with the exact same 1 year warranty with the option to buy Apple Care if you want. They usually sell out of them quick but pop back up every few weeks. I bought a 2015 a few months ago from them and it remains my favorite Apple laptop.
Although I agree that 2015 model is still descent today, I would not invest so much on a machine that is 4 years old, especially when a refresh is likely around the corner. Age is a serious factor when buying tech products. If I really want a 2015 machine, I would search for a decent second hand one for a much lower price.

pshufd

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire

Thanks for the note. I have been looking for one of these for a while though there are two of these in NYC right now for sale for about $1,200. The main problem is going to NYC. I'm trying to decide on a gaming laptop or another 15 inch MBP. I would like the 17.3 inch display. I think that I'm going to go to Best Buy to see if they have any 4K 17.3 laptops to play around with.

dantracht

Cancelled
Sep 19, 2013
Just scored a 13” 2015 and I couldn’t be happier, although my 2012 nrmbp is my all time favorite.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.