Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bojack Horseman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 5, 2016
Atlanta, GA
I really want to start moving away from Google, that means replacing Gmail. When you add an account to the Mail app, it lists iCloud, Microsoft Exchange, Google, Yahoo, AOL, Outlook.com, and Other. What are some of the "Others" that we can add? I want to keep using the default Apple Mail app, not have to download a app just for email eg: Protonmail, etc...

Reactions: ignatius345

hg.wells

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2013
The “Other” would literally be any company that offers an email address and provides settings, such as Spectrum or any web hosting company if you own a website.

What are you looking for with an email provider, I would tend to advise most people stick to the big players, like iCloud, Yahoo, Microsoft because they are large they are less likely to have downtime and have security features such as two factor authentication etc.

RobFog

macrumors regular
Nov 29, 2012
I've been using GMX for several years and really love it. They have an app if you want but it also
works well with Apple's Mail app
I would recommend against GMX. They fill your inbox with their own garbage emails.

Here's another vote for Fastmail. I've been a happy paying customer for years.

rovostrov

macrumors regular
Oct 3, 2020
Does it support push on iOS app?
yes, GMX supports push notifications. I have used them for several years and they do not data mine your emails. Rarely does spam get through to my inbox, maybe 1 or 2 a month but they are easy to add to the blacklist. There are a ad or two when using the GMX app but its basically nothing compared to gmail, hotmail, etc.. Also end to end encryption is available. I have an account for personal and one for my business and t's been the longest email service I've ever had

fastbagger

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2015
yes, GMX supports push notifications. I have used them for several years and they do not data mine your emails. Rarely does spam get through to my inbox, maybe 1 or 2 a month but they are easy to add to the blacklist. There are a ad or two when using the GMX app but its basically nothing compared to gmail, hotmail, etc.. Also end to end encryption is available. I have an account for personal and one for my business and t's been the longest email service I've ever had
Thanks

mac_in_tosh

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2016
Earth
I have a concern about using the Mail app, as I have been for years now, as was touched on in another thread.

A lot of email providers offer Two Factor Authentication (2FA) but if you access their email through Mail, you can't use it, or at least that's my understanding. That is, you can't open the Mail app and have it ask for 2FA. Is there a way around this?

Runs For Fun

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2017
I have a concern about using the Mail app, as I have been for years now, as was touched on in another thread.

A lot of email providers offer Two Factor Authentication (2FA) but if you access their email through Mail, you can't use it, or at least that's my understanding. That is, you can't open the Mail app and have it ask for 2FA. Is there a way around this?
Most will allow you to generate an application specific password that you can use in the mail client. Obviously this bypasses the 2FA prompt but you can still access your email through a mail client.

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts

2FA would only be used when you first log into the account. Once you have logged in you would remain logged in - there is no further request for 2FA.

mac_in_tosh

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2016
Earth
Most will allow you to generate an application specific password that you can use in the mail client. Obviously this bypasses the 2FA prompt but you can still access your email through a mail client.
Can you provide a link with an explanation/example of how this works? Thanks.

EdwardC

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2012
Georgia
I have used iCloud for work and personal for I don't know how long with no issues. Pay $0.99 per month for 50GB of storage. Obviously it works seamlessly with Apple devices but works just a well on my Win 10 workstation using Mailbird as the client on the Win 10 machine. Very highly recommended. I bought a perpetual license for $29.00.

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
Bojack Horseman said:
I really want to start moving away from Google, that means replacing Gmail.
Same here. I replaced Google Maps with Apple Maps, Google Drive with iCloud Drive and a little bit of Dropbox, and moved all my non-personal email to iCloud. Now I'm going to take the plunge...

Here's another vote for Fastmail. I've been a happy paying customer for years.
... and migrate back to Fastmail. I used them years ago (early 2000s) and they were always awesome. The prospect of all that free Google storage space and Gmail's other perks drew me in -- and over the years Gmail kind of became a lot of people's default email. It's getting harder and harder for me to justify using it given how incredibly horrible of a company Google has become. I'm at the point where I don't mind paying a little for email service, knowing that mining my email isn't a source of revenue for anyone.

Last edited:

Runs For Fun

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2017
Can you provide a link with an explanation/example of how this works? Thanks.
It’s going to be different for whatever service you’re using if they provide that option at all. But essentially you generate an app password and use that for the password in the mail client instead of your normal account password.

mac_in_tosh

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2016
Earth
It’s going to be different for whatever service you’re using if they provide that option at all. But essentially you generate an app password and use that for the password in the mail client instead of your normal account password.
So that new password is specific to the Mail app but your normal password still works with the mail client if you log into it directly with a browser? I'm not sure what added security this gives. So let's say you're using Outlook and someone hacked your Outlook password. They can then go into your Outlook account with a browser but can't do so if they're using Mail? Also, if someone hacked your new app password, they can go into your Outlook account using Mail? It's not really 2FA then, right?

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
Another vote for Fastmail. Used them for years now with two domains, work accounts, and a handful of personal accounts. Can’t recommend it highly enough.

Runs For Fun

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2017
So that new password is specific to the Mail app but your normal password still works with the mail client if you log into it directly with a browser? I'm not sure what added security this gives. So let's say you're using Outlook and someone hacked your Outlook password. They can then go into your Outlook account with a browser but can't do so if they're using Mail? Also, if someone hacked your new app password, they can go into your Outlook account using Mail? It's not really 2FA then, right?
Yes, like I said it bypasses the 2FA but it still allows you to access your account from a mail client that doesn’t support that service’s 2FA system.

IowaLynn

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2015

You need this special password everywhere else outside Apple Mail. Email client, web, everywhere.

IowaLynn

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2015
Here's a vote for Protonmail. It's very secure and I also use their VPN. I access it from my Apple mail app.

I bought Proton, joined beta, but didn't realize my account could be accessed outside. I was hoping to use Proton as my single email client - Android, ios, Windows, Mac.

Reactions: scapegoat81
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.