Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ss4adib

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 8, 2012
So this has been driving me mad for the past month or so now but there is either something seriously wrong with my phone or something wrong with something in iOS 13 in general.

For no reason whatsoever my iPhone 7 gets very hot all of a sudden and drains battery very quickly, and my phone barely lasts until noon from a full charge overnight. Battery health is at 77%.

I've "Reset All Contents & Settings", iTunes Restored, DFU Restored, Reset All Contents & Settings + DFU Restored (always not restoring from backup) multiple times but nothing seems to make any difference.:

From the logs I've been getting this multiple times a SECOND continuously for minutes (longest I've seen is over an hour) until it stops randomly but by then its made my phone burning hot and drained a good chunk of my battery and I've restarted my phone:
Code:
Dec 22 20:52:23 Adibs-iPhone CMFSyncAgent[216] <Notice>: Incoming peer auth grant request
Dec 22 20:52:23 Adibs-iPhone CMFSyncAgent[216] <Notice>: xpc_get_type = 0
Dec 22 20:52:23 Adibs-iPhone CMFSyncAgent[216] <Notice>: received message from peer(279): 0x133d0ae60
Dec 22 20:52:23 Adibs-iPhone CMFSyncAgent[216] <Notice>: kvs:<private>, prefs:<private>
Dec 22 20:52:23 Adibs-iPhone CMFSyncAgent[216] <Notice>: dates are equal ? 1
Dec 22 20:52:23 Adibs-iPhone CMFSyncAgent[216] <Notice>: responseDictionary allKeys = <private>, shouldPostDidChange = 0
Dec 22 20:52:23 Adibs-iPhone CMFSyncAgent[216] <Notice>: Reply sent
Dec 22 20:52:23 Adibs-iPhone sharingd(CommunicationsFilter)[279] <Notice>: Result back for request (0x108845c40)
Dec 22 20:52:23 Adibs-iPhone sharingd(CommunicationsFilter)[279] <Notice>: Response: <private>
Dec 22 20:52:23 Adibs-iPhone sharingd(CommunicationsFilter)[279] <Notice>: Error: 0x0
Dec 22 20:52:23 Adibs-iPhone sharingd(CommunicationsFilter)[279] <Notice>: cache setResponse = 0
Dec 22 20:52:23 Adibs-iPhone sharingd(CommunicationsFilter)[279] <Notice>: Item not in the cache.

I also jailbroke my phone just to install a process viewer (Cocoatop) to see what the heck was wrong. sharingd, CMFSyncAgent, syncdefaultsd are the 3 daemons that seem to be running constantly with over 100% CPU usage!!!

The only way I got it to stop was to turn off the sharingd daemon but that means I can't even access the sharesheet so turning it off isn't ideal (especially since I have to be jailbroken to even turn it off)

Does anyone have any suggestions on what may be causing this?

I'd like to add that I have an iPad Air 2 and that is also connected to the same iCloud account and also on iOS 13 but that doesn't seem to have this problem

Last edited:

revmacian

macrumors 68000
Oct 20, 2018
USA
So this has been driving me mad for the past month or so now but there is either something seriously wrong with my phone or something wrong with something in iOS 13 in general.

For no reason whatsoever my iPhone 7 gets very hot all of a sudden and drains battery very quickly, and my phone barely lasts until noon from a full charge overnight. Battery health is at 77%.

I've "Reset All Contents & Settings", iTunes Restored, DFU Restored, Reset All Contents & Settings + DFU Restored (always not restoring from backup) multiple times but nothing seems to make any difference.:

From the logs I've been getting this multiple times a SECOND continuously for minutes (longest I've seen is over an hour) until it stops randomly but by then its made my phone burning hot and drained a good chunk of my battery and I've restarted my phone:
Code:
Dec 22 20:52:23 Adibs-iPhone CMFSyncAgent[216] <Notice>: Incoming peer auth grant request
Dec 22 20:52:23 Adibs-iPhone CMFSyncAgent[216] <Notice>: xpc_get_type = 0
Dec 22 20:52:23 Adibs-iPhone CMFSyncAgent[216] <Notice>: received message from peer(279): 0x133d0ae60
Dec 22 20:52:23 Adibs-iPhone CMFSyncAgent[216] <Notice>: kvs:<private>, prefs:<private>
Dec 22 20:52:23 Adibs-iPhone CMFSyncAgent[216] <Notice>: dates are equal ? 1
Dec 22 20:52:23 Adibs-iPhone CMFSyncAgent[216] <Notice>: responseDictionary allKeys = <private>, shouldPostDidChange = 0
Dec 22 20:52:23 Adibs-iPhone CMFSyncAgent[216] <Notice>: Reply sent
Dec 22 20:52:23 Adibs-iPhone sharingd(CommunicationsFilter)[279] <Notice>: Result back for request (0x108845c40)
Dec 22 20:52:23 Adibs-iPhone sharingd(CommunicationsFilter)[279] <Notice>: Response: <private>
Dec 22 20:52:23 Adibs-iPhone sharingd(CommunicationsFilter)[279] <Notice>: Error: 0x0
Dec 22 20:52:23 Adibs-iPhone sharingd(CommunicationsFilter)[279] <Notice>: cache setResponse = 0
Dec 22 20:52:23 Adibs-iPhone sharingd(CommunicationsFilter)[279] <Notice>: Item not in the cache.

I also jailbroke my phone just to install a process viewer (Cocoatop) to see what the heck was wrong. sharingd, CMFSyncAgent, syncdefaultsd are the 3 daemons that seem to be running constantly with over 100% CPU usage!!!

The only way I got it to stop was to turn off the sharingd daemon but that means I can't even access the sharesheet so turning it off isn't ideal (especially since I have to be jailbroken to even turn it off)

Does anyone have any suggestions on what may be causing this?

I'd like to add that I have an iPad Air 2 and that is also connected to the same iCloud account and also on iOS 13 but that doesn't seem to have this problem
I'm thinking you have a misbehaving or malicious third-party app. What I would try is to reset the phone to factory defaults, set it up as a new phone and login with your Apple ID. Then start installing your preferred apps slowly and seeing if you can catch the misbehaving app. However, being that you jailbroke your phone I don't know how to reset to factory settings - does this require extra steps?

ss4adib

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 8, 2012
I'm thinking you have a misbehaving or malicious third-party app. What I would try is to reset the phone to factory defaults, set it up as a new phone and login with your Apple ID. Then start installing your preferred apps slowly and seeing if you can catch the misbehaving app. However, being that you jailbroke your phone I don't know how to reset to factory settings - does this require extra steps?

Thats the thing; it occurs even on a completely fresh restore with nothing but the stock apps. Like literally minutes after setting up a freshly restored iPhone it happens.

I've now turned off iCloud and so far it seems to have died down but iCloud is something I need.

Reactions: Twiceon2sday

IowaLynn

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2015
Setup as new. No restore.
I Wonder if there's something corrupt or amiss on iCloud.

ss4adib

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 8, 2012
Setup as new. No restore.
I Wonder if there's something corrupt or amiss on iCloud.
Yes I have setup as new quite a few times now.

Well iClouds been off for 2 hours ish now and my phone hasn’t overheated yet. Problem is if there is something wrong with my iCloud how would I go about fixing it and why doesn’t it affect my iPad?

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
Of course if you completely reset your phone, and then the phone starts restoring and backing up all of your files and data, it will run hot and drain your battery—this always happens. You’re too quick to judge.

To see whether or not the issue at hand persists after a factory reset, you need to give it a day or two.

ss4adib

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 8, 2012
Of course if you completely reset your phone, and then the phone starts restoring and backing up all of your files and data, it will run hot and drain your battery—this always happens. You’re too quick to judge.

To see whether or not the issue at hand persists after a factory reset, you need to give it a day or two.

Yes I understand that. I’ve been using iPhones since 2008.

Yet days after a restore I’ve still had these abnormal battery drains and log entries.

However as I said I have turned off iCloud and the heat/drain/logs all seem to have stopped. Nevertheless I shall wait a day and see what happens.

Ivanovitchk

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2010
Paris, FR
I have been having the exact same symptoms as you for around a month. iPhone 7 too

tried the same troubleshooting steps (minus the JB part) with a few days of wait in between to no avail.

battery health is still ok at 90%.

Probably related, but i also have extremely poor battery life on my watch series 4 (more than 10% drain per hour, idling in teahater mode).

Also on the same iCloud account I have a 1st gen iPad Air and a 2018 iPad Pro, they have no abnormally high drains....

let’s hope Apple fixes this mess ASAP, I’m charging both the watch and phone 2 - 3 times a day to keep them alive -.- !

Twiceon2sday

macrumors member
Mar 2, 2021
California

Yet days after a restore I’ve still had these abnormal battery drains and log entries.

However as I said I have turned off iCloud and the heat/drain/logs all seem to have stopped. Nevertheless I shall wait a day and see what happens.
Did you ever resolve this issue? I’m dealing with the same problem but it follows me. Reset my phones, I’ve changed carriers, CMFSyncAgent along with a couple other process’s seem to be a constant. I’m thinking maybe it’s on my network and not my phone per say. Have you had any luck?

Twiceon2sday

macrumors member
Mar 2, 2021
California

Ss4adib, did you ever have any luck with this? I have the same issue except my battery isn’t draining but CMFSyncAgent is present and I have someone else’s photos in my library but I’ve reset, changed phones, changed carriers, and so 5yrs later ….. it still plagues me. I’ve had iPhones and Apple products since 2007 myself and I am a very cautious user so I’m stumped and I can’t seem to get any help! - any point in the right direction is most helpful!

martin2345uk

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2013
Essex
Ss4adib, did you ever have any luck with this? I have the same issue except my battery isn’t draining but CMFSyncAgent is present and I have someone else’s photos in my library but I’ve reset, changed phones, changed carriers, and so 5yrs later ….. it still plagues me. I’ve had iPhones and Apple products since 2007 myself and I am a very cautious user so I’m stumped and I can’t seem to get any help! - any point in the right direction is most helpful!
Ss4adib hasn't been seen on this forum since Dec 23 2019, don't hold your breath for a reply :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.