Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PowerPCFan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 5, 2022
Stay Tooned. Goofy game. Very clever and silly as a kid. Still one of the most creative games I can think of. I’ll find a link- I know it’s out there.
Check some of the links on mac84.net (the guy that runs the site is a YouTuber that does old mac stuff and his site has good resources.)

Also check:
macintoshgarden.org
SourceForge.net
Macintoshrepository.org

PowerPCFan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 5, 2022
Use a custom prefs file and a mobile user agent - also, make site applets with InTheBox - they require less resources.
How can I do that? Feel free to send me a separate message if you don't want to talk about site applets in a thread meant for talking about PPC applications.

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
How can I do that? Feel free to send me a separate message if you don't want to talk about site applets in a thread meant for talking about PPC applications.
Custom Prefs file:

InTheBox:

My preferred prefs.js method is to use the profile maker linked above and add this mobile user agent when prompted:

Mozilla/5.0 (Mobile; rv:48.0) Gecko/48.0 Firefox/48.0 KAIOS/2.0

I then tweak that with selected changes from the @eyoungren thread.

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
Adobe Creative Suite 2 (Photoshop. Nuff said)
Bean 2.4.5 (lean 'n' mean word processor)
Create (goes back right to the golden NeXT days)
DOSBox 0.74 (killin' some time with my favourite childhood games)
iStat menus 1.0 (keep an eye on temps 'n' stuff)
iWork (any version; da whole office package)
Microsoft Office v.X (first version for OS X and feels a bit... weird)
MenuMeters 1.8.1 (same as iStat menus)
SuperDuper! 2.7.1 (backups are essential)

PowerPCFan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 5, 2022
Custom Prefs file:

InTheBox:

My preferred prefs.js method is to use the profile maker linked above and add this mobile user agent when prompted:

Mozilla/5.0 (Mobile; rv:48.0) Gecko/48.0 Firefox/48.0 KAIOS/2.0

I then tweak that with selected changes from the @eyoungren thread.
Thanks so much @Dronecatcher!

Reactions: Dronecatcher

Doq

macrumors 6502a
Dec 8, 2019
The Lab DX
MACAST is my go-to music player; made by a few of the same people who worked on the legendary Winamp. Though, you may spot me running SoundJam MP instead, particularly when working with CDs.

• Love
Reactions: PowerPCFan

orionquest

Suspended
Mar 16, 2022
The Great White North
Ambrosia Software's "Escape Velocity".
Great design, immense fun, mods, sense of humour, space-adventure-combat-trading... SO GREAT.

Macintosh Repository
Not to derail, but worth sharing they are making a Re-Master version of Override

• Love

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
@PowerPCFan if you don't already have any of these, get them as they block ads and scripts that slow the browser down. Once set up you'll notice a nice speed increase. I personally use a HOSTS file instead of ublock (less work for the browser to do) and NoScript.

To get back on topic, and not to toot my own horn, but oddly enough my favorite app would have to be RetroZilla. It's great on G4's as it's lightweight, fast, renders more sites than i expected, has TLS 1.2 added, and still supports all the cool old plugins like flash, quicktime, etc. There's just something nostalgic about visiting a website and having midi music play on the welcome page. ;)

ifrit05

macrumors 6502a
Dec 23, 2013
Near Detroit, MI. USA
Being able to play PlayStation games like Xenogears, Final Fantasy VII and Legend of Dragoon on my PowerMac G3 in 1999 was freaking amazing :)

Really wish there was a way to get the Mac version up and running on modern hardware but as far as I know there isn't :(
My man, first time I seen someone mention LoD AND Xeno in the same sentience. <3

PS. There are a number of different emulators you can get for modern macOS.

Malus120

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2002
My man, first time I seen someone mention LoD AND Xeno in the same sentience. <3

PS. There are a number of different emulators you can get for modern macOS.
Because Xenogears and Legend of Dragoon were both amazing games (Xenogears shares the top spot for me with Earthbound).

Also, thanks for the heads up but I'm aware there's lot of emulators on Mac (I do miss the good ol days of "emulation.net" though)
I was actually just testing out the new Mac port of Ryujinx (Switch emulator) yesterday! It's really neat and I'm looking forward to turning my MBP into the "Switch Pro" I've been waiting way too long for (If only Xenoblade 3 ran well ATM...)

What I meant was I wish I had a way to run the Mac version of Connectix Virtual Game Station on modern hardware (for nostalgia purposes, obviously there are much better Playstation emulators out there today). Unfortunately it's locked in this weird purgatory of needing hardware acceleration on macOS 8.6 or 9, something no emulators offer as far as I know :(
So if you want to play it in 2022 you need... a PowerPC Mac... that can run OS 9 (ideally 8.6)... AND has a GPU with drivers that offer proper hardware acceleration for that OS

ifrit05

macrumors 6502a
Dec 23, 2013
Near Detroit, MI. USA
What I meant was I wish I had a way to run the Mac version of Connectix Virtual Game Station on modern hardware (for nostalgia purposes, obviously there are much better Playstation emulators out there today). Unfortunately it's locked in this weird purgatory of needing hardware acceleration on macOS 8.6 or 9, something no emulators offer as far as I know :(
So if you want to play it in 2022 you need... a PowerPC Mac... that can run OS 9 (ideally 8.6)... AND has a GPU with drivers that offer proper hardware acceleration for that OS
There was reports of successfully passing through a PCI Rage 128 on qemu, although OS9 was not accelerated. OS X was though so maybe running it though Classic might work???

flatjuba

macrumors member
Dec 16, 2016
Hmmmmmmm…favorite can be kind of subjective, so there's going to be multiple answers. I have no singular app that I use(d) a PowerPC Mac for just because of that app.

Favorite in terms of heavy use: TenFourFox.
Favorite for customization: Magnifique and Candybar. Shapeshifter if I'm using Tiger.
Favorite for design: InDesign CS4 and Photoshop CS4.
Favorite just making PowerPC Macs work in a PC/Mac network environment: DAVE.
Favorite for working around browser requirements: Fluid.
Favorite for word processing/email: Word 2008 and Entourage 2008.
Favorite for file search: EasyFind.
Favorite for music: Songbird.

There's probably more, but that's enough for now.
Does Entourage is a good client for Yahoo or Gmail account? I'm looking for good Email Client Apps

Malus120

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2002
There was reports of successfully passing through a PCI Rage 128 on qemu, although OS9 was not accelerated. OS X was though so maybe running it though Classic might work???
Oh wow, that's awesome news for preservation of older Mac software! Thanks for sharing.

Unfortunately, CVGS is one of those bitchy apps that never ran in the Classic Environment :(
I know because as an early adopter of Mac OS X (a family friend got me the beta, what a wild ride THAT was), I dual-booted OS 9 for a LONG time (long after the many kinks of early Mac OS X been worked out) just for CVGS...

ifrit05

macrumors 6502a
Dec 23, 2013
Near Detroit, MI. USA
Oh wow, that's awesome news for preservation of older Mac software! Thanks for sharing.

Unfortunately, CVGS is one of those bitchy apps that never ran in the Classic Environment :(
I know because as an early adopter of Mac OS X (a family friend got me the beta, what a wild ride THAT was), I dual-booted OS 9 for a LONG time (long after the many kinks of early Mac OS X been worked out) just for CVGS...
How about getting a Mac Mini G4 and running MacOS9Lives' version of OS9 for unsupported Macs???

Malus120

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2002
How about getting a Mac Mini G4 and running MacOS9Lives' version of OS9 for unsupported Macs???
Hmmm. An interesting option, I have a feeling the GPU is probably too new (I seem to remember back in the day if you upgraded your GPU past a certain point it wouldn't work, but it might be worth trying.
That said, as cool of an option as actually getting a PPC Mac and booting Mac OS 9 (or maybe even 8.6!) is, its honestly a bit more involved than I really want to go for what is, at the end of the day, just a novelty for me (especially when the Windows version can likely be run with much less hassle, on pretty much anything)

DouglasCarroll

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2016
Whoops, I almost forgot about one of my favorite PPC programs...Sound Studio!

I have a ton of radio shows still on my iPod that I listen to that I downloaded over the radio into my PowerBook G4 using this great app....

You can get an updated version for 64bit Mac OS operating systems, or even still download the older PPC version on the website. This used to come bundled free with Mac OS X (I forget which version though...Tiger or Leopard).

PPC version 3 available here...

I much prefer this interface over Audacity, just my 2 cents though.

:)

Whoops, I almost forgot about one of my favorite PPC programs...Sound Studio!

I have a ton of radio shows still on my iPod that I listen to that I downloaded over the radio into my PowerBook G4 using this great app....

You can get an updated version for 64bit Mac OS operating systems, or even still download the older PPC version on the website. This used to come bundled free with Mac OS X (I forget which version though...Tiger or Leopard).

PPC version 3 available here...

I much prefer this interface over Audacity, just my 2 cents though.

:)

Between 3 and 4, Sound Studio 3 (3.5.7) had the better UI, more shortcut keys, and was more in spirit and keeping with its OS 9 antecedent (a fresh Carbon build without resembling a quick carryover from OS 9 via, say, Classic code base).

On all the Macs on which I have both 3.5.7 and an iteration of 4 (usually above 4.8), I find myself using 3.5.7 for everything except when saving into certain formats (on which 4 and up handle better than 3.5.7 does).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.