Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Binford

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 15, 2007
Boston, MA
I'm lazy.

RAW -> Aperture -> Jpeg

I'm considering giving capture NX a shot though, but haven't yet out of laziness and cost. Sometimes I kind of wish I had given lightroom a more thorough try, but now i'm too lazy to bother since my library is all set with aperture. maybe one day when i'm really in the mood...

tersono

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2005
UK
I'm lazy.

RAW -> Aperture -> Jpeg

I'm considering giving capture NX a shot though, but haven't yet out of laziness and cost. Sometimes I kind of wish I had given lightroom a more thorough try, but now i'm too lazy to bother since my library is all set with aperture. maybe one day when i'm really in the mood...

I tried Capture NX and wasn't impressed - very clunky indeed. I have a hard time choosing between Aperture and Lightroom - they both have their advantages, but have plumped for Aperture, if only because I've spent enough time with it to get comfortable with it.

Edge100

macrumors 68000
May 14, 2002
Where am I???
I'm lazy.

RAW -> Aperture -> Jpeg

RAW->Lightroom->Jpeg OR TIFF

I'll only export TIFFs if there is some additional PS work to do (mainly Noise Ninja or some layer work). Also if I'm doing an HDR, I'll export three TIFFs for Photomatix (-2, 0, +2 EV).

What I'm wondering is how does everyone then manage those exported files? Do people import these back into Aperture/LR? I need a good system for managing these, because I'll often do different edits for different purposes (prints, Smugmug exports, Facebook exports, etc), and I'm starting to get too many exported files. I think I may just start bringing these back into LR, unless someone has a better strategy.

JeffTL

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2003
I import my Nikon D50 raws directly into Lightroom. I use the GIMP if I need anything more powerful than Lightroom, and Photomatix for HDR. With academic discounts, I bought my whole software suite for just $130.

Mr.Noisy

macrumors 65816
May 5, 2007
UK™
Simple is more efficient

RAW > CS2/CS3 > Tiff
or
RAW > CS2/CS3 > Tiff > PhotoMatrix > Jpeg

Depends what/who I'm Processing the Image for really :)

agree with tersono NX isn't great, save your wedge ;)

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I'm lazy.

RAW -> Aperture -> Jpeg

Why the last step? Seriously. What do you do with the jpg files?

My workflow is this:
RAW/JPG -> Aperture -> end product
or many times
RAW/JPG -> Aperture -> Photoshop -> Aperture -> end product

Where "end product" might be a print, DVD, digital picture frame, book, slide show....

srf4real

macrumors 68040
Jul 25, 2006
paradise beach FL
Used to run three or four apps at once to do everything... then I downloaded Aperture 2 and bought it.

Now it's raw > Aperture > print /post /galleries /web page /email, etc...

and of course from Aperture to an occasional edit in PSE 4 for the extreme case. rarely.:p

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
There's nothing lazy about taking out time consuming steps.

If I am on assignment, it's JPEG > CS2 > Paper's Photo Server

If I am freelancing, it's RAW > Aperture > either CS3 becasue neither Aperture or Lightroom are as powerful and effective as Photoshop **OR** I export the final JPEGs and hand them off to the client.

If I am snapshooting, it's JPEG > Finder. :D

Techguy172

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2007
Ontario Canada
There's nothing lazy about taking out time consuming steps.

If I am on assignment, it's JPEG > CS2 > Paper's Photo Server

If I am freelancing, it's RAW > Aperture > either CS3 becasue neither Aperture or Lightroom are as powerful and effective as Photoshop **OR** I export the final JPEGs and hand them off to the client.

If I am snapshooting, it's JPEG > Finder. :D

If you don't mind me asking why do you shoot in JPEG Rather than RAW.

Kebabselector

macrumors 68030
May 25, 2007
Birmingham, UK
A lot of sports/news togs shoot Jpeg as it's much quicker to just ftp to the newsdesk rather than convert raw-jpeg then ftp. Though quite use raw+jpg settings so the jpeg is quick to shift and you've got the raw for any later agency use.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
If you don't mind me asking why do you shoot in JPEG Rather than RAW.

It depends on the situation. The extra bit of info that I get with RAW won't show on the news print that most papes use, and I generally shoot WAY too many images while shooting for the paper, so JPEGs take up less space.

If I am snapshooting then the images wont' be that important anyway.

SLC Flyfishing

Suspended
Nov 19, 2007
Portland, OR
RAW>Lightroom(exposure tweak, fill light(sometimes),black level,contrast, saturation, sharpen)

From Lightroom it depends, I may export a jpeg and have it printed, I may just export a jpeg and store it away on one of the external HDD's. If it needs (or I want) some additional editing, I'll export it as a DNG and edit away in CS3 at which point it's converted to .tif and re-imported to Lightroom for final polish and conversion to jpeg.

SLC

Binford

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 15, 2007
Boston, MA
Why the last step? Seriously. What do you do with the jpg files?

My workflow is this:
RAW/JPG -> Aperture -> end product
or many times
RAW/JPG -> Aperture -> Photoshop -> Aperture -> end product

Where "end product" might be a print, DVD, digital picture frame, book, slide show....

yeah, internet, and send them to family/friends, upload to blogs... my end products are rarely printed things, and 90% of the time online. i actually dont keep my jpegs though, once i upload/send/whatever i just delete them.

anmoldagreat

macrumors member
Feb 29, 2008
seattle
raw -> bridge -> ps cs3 -> ps cs3 -> smugmug

upload all raw files from card reader
look at them through bridge, editing them in ps as need be
running an action that converts all to png
upload to smugmug site for customers

juanm

macrumors 68000
May 1, 2006
Fury 161
I'm lazy.

RAW -> Aperture -> Jpeg

I have the same workflow. I only used Capture to defish pictures taken with the 10.5mm. Now Aperture supports plugins, and Hemi is already developing theire defishing plugin for it, so I'll be able to stay in Aperture 90% of time.

Binford

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 15, 2007
Boston, MA
RAW > upload via card reader to a folder on the desktop > review and cull images in Photo Mechanic > import the good images to Aperture > export processed and finalized jpgs from Aperture to folder on desktop to upload to Smugmug or Zenfolio.

just wondering, why do you use smugmug AND zenfolio?

hector

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2006
Cheltenham, UK
Operative word here is "or," not "and." I use one or the other. In more recent times it's been Zenfolio but I still have a lot of galleries on Smugmug.

Well... that means you have an account with both surely. So you do use Smugmug and Zenfolio. Maybe not for the same pictures I'm guessing?

aafuss1

macrumors 68000
May 5, 2002
Gold Coast, Australia
My workflow:
1. Import images & video from camera into iPhoto or Easyshare software
2. Catalog and perform simple edits in iPhoto or Easyshare software
3. Move to PC and use Photoshop Elements 6 to do further editing
4. Print, email or upload to Flickr

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.