Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Silentwave

macrumors 68000
May 26, 2006
Nice little breakdown. I use the 15" 2.16 MBP/2GB for my photo stuff and love it...even though all my editing programs are running via Rosetta for the time being.

The 3GHz Mac Pro is definitely the best for Digital photo now. The new benchmarks with Photoshop just posted by BareFeats prove it.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Right now I am using a G5 Rev B iMac with 20" monitor and a 15" 2.16 Ghz MBP connected to a 30" ACD. Both machines have 2 GB RAM, Aperture and CS2. The MBP is just doing temporary duty until I get the 3 GHz Mac Pro. Once that machine is here (will be ordering soon), I'll be connecting it to the 30" ACD.

In actual use, I notice that the MBP runs Aperture faster than the iMac, and that the two seem to be about the same as far as running CS2, since of course the MBP has to process it through Rosetta.

The 30" ACD is a joy for working with images! LOVE it! I had considered going the two-monitor route but decided in the end that I would prefer one large monitor instead and I am happy with my decision.

macdaddy121

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2003
Georgia
Clix Pix said:
Right now I am using a G5 Rev B iMac with 20" monitor and a 15" 2.16 Ghz MBP connected to a 30" ACD. Both machines have 2 GB RAM, Aperture and CS2. The MBP is just doing temporary duty until I get the 3 GHz Mac Pro. Once that machine is here (will be ordering soon), I'll be connecting it to the 30" ACD.

In actual use, I notice that the MBP runs Aperture faster than the iMac, and that the two seem to be about the same as far as running CS2, since of course the MBP has to process it through Rosetta.

The 30" ACD is a joy for working with images! LOVE it! I had considered going the two-monitor route but decided in the end that I would prefer one large monitor instead and I am happy with my decision.

You are on a posting roll by the way. Let me know when you are ready to buy the new MacPro....I might be interested in the 20" iMac....if you are getting rid of it.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
1. Something fast with plenty of RAM, probably a Mac Pro. MBP on the road.
2. Big Display.
3. Aperture.

Sound about right Glen?

FleurDuMal

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2006
London Town
Glenn Wolsey said:
I just finished up on this article over on my blog, I've gone over what Mac, Display, and Software a photographer should purchase.

Based on their budget, and if they need portability.

I'd love to hear what you think, and what you are running with! Leave some comments here and/or on the blog :)

http://glennwolsey.com/permalink/which-mac-for-me-photographer/

Hey. That's a good little breakdown, and I'm sure that some people will see it as very valuable advice.

However, a couple of points (from a photographer on a budget):
-There really should be some mention of the Dell 2407fpw. It's the same screen as the ACD, but can save you £100's. In fact, if you're really trying to save people money, you could advise they try and find a 2405fpw, as they will now have dropped in price.
-Also, for the budget photographer, there is no reason not to recommend the Macbook. A 2Ghz model loaded up with 2GB RAM and connected to an external display would perform just as adequately as the MBP with the important applications. OK, you would defnitely have to mention that it can't power a 30" ACD, but, really, the budget photographer isn't going to have £1200/£1300 to blow on a display. Also, the MB would be better for the travel photographer who may want something more portable to take around the world.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
macdaddy121 said:
You are on a posting roll by the way. Let me know when you are ready to buy the new MacPro....I might be interested in the 20" iMac....if you are getting rid of it.

Nope, not planning to sell my iMac. I'll still be using it for surfing the web, email, etc., and using the new machine specifically for digital imaging.

RamenBooko

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
FleurDuMal said:
Hey. That's a good little breakdown, and I'm sure that some people will see it as very valuable advice.

However, a couple of points (from a photographer on a budget):
-There really should be some mention of the Dell 2407fpw. It's the same screen as the ACD, but can save you £100's. In fact, if you're really trying to save people money, you could advise they try and find a 2405fpw, as they will now have dropped in price.
-Also, for the budget photographer, there is no reason not to recommend the Macbook. A 2Ghz model loaded up with 2GB RAM and connected to an external display would perform just as adequately as the MBP with the important applications. OK, you would defnitely have to mention that it can't power a 30" ACD, but, really, the budget photographer isn't going to have £1200/£1300 to blow on a display. Also, the MB would be better for the travel photographer who may want something more portable to take around the world.

Very good point.

Even an iMac 20" loaded up with 2GB of RAM can do Aperture work. A customer at my work bought an iMac from us and says he gets amazing speeds when doing Aperture.

Zeke

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2002
Greenville, SC
I would disagree with your recommendation for displays. The Apple (and Dell for that matter) are not reviewed well for color rendition. The current 'consumer' grade display that's doing very well is the Samsung t series (244t, 214t, etc...). If you just want people to buy the Apple ones because they look nice and Apple gets more money great, but most digital photography sites are not recommending the Apple or Dell monitors.

XIII

macrumors 68040
Aug 15, 2004
England
Chundles said:
1. Something fast with plenty of RAM, probably a Mac Pro. MBP on the road.
2. Big Display.
3. Aperture.

Sound about right Glen?

Desktop Setup (On Budget) Mac Pro 2Ghz, 3GB RAM, 500GB HDD, 23” Display

This is on budget? :eek:

Glenn Wolsey

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 24, 2005
New Zealand
XIII said:
Desktop Setup (On Budget) Mac Pro 2Ghz, 3GB RAM, 500GB HDD, 23” Display

This is on budget? :eek:

On a budget as in a need a system, I want the best gear in the industry for this job, but I cant go the whole 9 yards, what can I cut down on?

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Glenn Wolsey said:
I'd love to hear what you think, and what you are running with! Leave some comments here and/or on the blog :)

Hate to say it but it reads like ad copy from an Apple web site. Looks like the phots were swipped of Apple's site too. For copyright resons it might be better to do your own photography.

Also I think you need to be more critical. For example Why even buy an LCD. Arn't CRTs better? Ok so LCDs are the way to go, Why an Apple ACD? Arn't Dells made in the same factory? Why aperture? How does the quality of Aperture's RAW conversion compare with Nikon's new "NX software are "bible" doesn't Adobe "bridge" work better then Aperture for catalogging images. What about editing image metadata and sorting/searching by same. How fast is it. How fast after loading 30,000 images? What about image backup? ... The best way to write something like this tis to at each decision point list the impotant factors then several possable solutions then compare the solutions. What about printing an color calibration is is VEY important and not in there at all.

Don't take this the wrong way, just trying to show that you cam improve this.

XIII

macrumors 68040
Aug 15, 2004
England
Glenn Wolsey said:
On a budget as in a need a system, I want the best gear in the industry for this job, but I cant go the whole 9 yards, what can I cut down on?

Surely you could do with a 20" screen.. I know two people who are professionals in this field who get by with a 20" screen. I dunno..

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
ChrisA said:
Hate to say it but it reads like ad copy from an Apple web site.

One of the standard axioms of writing/publishing is: "write about what you know." Well, Glenn DOESN'T know from experience, so he's cribbing from other sources in order to present his "article." I'm not quite sure to whom the article is actually targeted, but I can pretty well guarantee that as an adult, I would not make any critical buying decisions based on this. There is (in my mind, at least) a huge credibility issue. If I am looking for information on specific equipment in order to make an eventual decision as to where/how I"ll spend my money, I am going to go to the experts, and there are plenty to be found on the internet. Heck, many of them are right here! For instance, if I were considering the 30" ACD, I'd pay attention to what has been said about it from those who have actually USED one, who OWN one.... Before I plunk down the $$$$ for a Mac Pro, I'm reading the comments of those who already have begun using one, I'm reading the discussions about which graphics card is the best choice for the use to which I intend to put it, the discussions about the amount of RAM which is optimal, etc......

OK, this is going to sound snotty, but I am much more likely to consider advice/recommendations about which Mac to use for photography from adults who actually OWN and/or have at least USED the computer and photography equipment discussed rather than a 14-year-old kid who still is shooting with a P&S and who is still wondering about which DSLR to buy.

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
Clix Pix said:
One of the standard axioms of writing/publishing is: "write about what you know." Well, Glenn DOESN'T know from experience, so he's cribbing from other sources in order to present his "article." I'm not quite sure to whom the article is actually targeted, but I can pretty well guarantee that as an adult, I would not make any critical buying decisions based on this. There is (in my mind, at least) a huge credibility issue. If I am looking for information on specific equipment in order to make an eventual decision as to where/how I"ll spend my money, I am going to go to the experts, and there are plenty to be found on the internet. Heck, many of them are right here! For instance, if I were considering the 30" ACD, I'd pay attention to what has been said about it from those who have actually USED one, who OWN one.... Before I plunk down the $$$$ for a Mac Pro, I'm reading the comments of those who already have begun using one, I'm reading the discussions about which graphics card is the best choice for the use to which I intend to put it, the discussions about the amount of RAM which is optimal, etc......

OK, this is going to sound snotty, but I am much more likely to consider advice/recommendations about which Mac to use for photography from adults who actually OWN and/or have at least USED the computer and photography equipment discussed rather than a 14-year-old kid who still is shooting with a P&S and who is still wondering about which DSLR to buy.

Again, :rolleyes: .

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
XIII said:
Surely you could do with a 20" screen.. I know two people who are professionals in this field who get by with a 20" screen. I dunno..

Of course you can edit with a 20" screen! Heck, many years ago I was editing my images (as a hobbyist, not a professional) on a 12" laptop screen....when I was finally able to move up to a 14" screen it was wonderful but I still appreciated what I had been able to do previously. More recently, I've edited images on my 15" PB or (later) the 15" MBP while traveling and have had no problems.... One works with what one has.

I've edited many images on my 20" G5 iMac and have been very satisfied with the results. Sure, a larger monitor is nice but it is not really absolutely necessary.....

I agree that what was suggested by Glenn as a "budget" system may not be truly "budget" as everyone perceives that..... He may be thinking "budget system" vis-a-vis someone buying the Mac Pro and going from there, I don't know. Definitely one can use other Apple computers and achieve quite nice results.

Glenn Wolsey

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 24, 2005
New Zealand
Look, I'm happy to take any comments about my article, about my skills, about my expertise. I can tell you right now that I'm not trying to say I know everything there is to know about photography, not even close to it.

I talked to a few pro photographers before writing this article if that makes you feel any better, so I have had input.

I totally agree you can edit on a 20" display, heck, I;m currently using a 17" for my photography work, but are these screen sizes really optimal for someone making a career in the trade? Nope, not in my opinion.

Thanks for the comments, I've noted everything that's been said which in turn will hopefully make my next article in the series better, the next installment is something I can relate to and I actually do, if that makes you feel any better.

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
Clix Pix said:
Yeah, I know, Gary....sometimes I am pretty harsh on these young whippersnappers! But hey, sometimes the truth (or at least someone else's perception of it) hurts.... From this, one learns....

Well, you basically called him a plagiarist.

I just wrote a 1,500 word article about the Coast Guard's 41-foot Utility Boat, and I got most of my information from the boat's "operator" manual and interviews. Does that mean I plagiarized? I've never piloted or used a 41 UTB in my life, but evidently I can write an informative article about it, even though I don't have what you call "experience."

It's called research. What do you think newspaper reporters that know nothing about a subject do? They research. Glenn researched this and wrote about what he found out.

You're snotty, and the basis of your argument is "he's only 14." Grow up.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Glenn Wolsey said:
I totally agree you can edit on a 20" display, heck, I;m currently using a 17" for my photography work, but are these screen sizes really optimal for someone making a career in the trade? Nope, not in my opinion.

See, this is the problem, Glenn: you're not a professional in the field, you don't have the actual experience to back up whatever you say, and while you seem to be very mature in a lot of ways, the bottom line is that you are still very young, and this mars your credibility. Many adults are not going to pay much attention to the opinion of a 14-year-old kid who has not actually had experience with the gear that he is discussing. For instance, if you said that the 30" ACD sucked, I wouldn't take that as being reliable; if Gary, who actually HAS a 30" ACD, said that it sucked, I would be more likely to believe what I saw him saying. And, yes, in the past I paid note to what he discussed in regard to his problems with the 30" ACD and when I got my own I checked it out thoroughly. There's nothing like actual experience with something to add to someone's credibility!

I think your articles would have a whole lot more credibility if they were based on a combination of your own personal experience plus thorough research.....

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
iGary said:

Whoa, Gary! I'm not the one who did that....someone else commented that it looked as though he were quoting from the Apple website or something....

I agree with you that research is important (hey, I'm a librarian!) and that it is important to be accurate in presenting one's information (I notice that some people commented on Glenn's site that he was inaccurate in some details, and that he has corrected that). When writing an article, it is important that the information be presented in an unbiased way.

What my concern involves is the credibility of the source. In this instance, I'm sorry, maybe I seem prejudiced, but as a woman in middle age with a lot of life experience around a lot of things I cannot really view Glenn's article as a credible source from which to base a purchasing decision. This is a young man who has NOT had actual experience in photography as a profession, who has NOT used the equipment of which he writes..... If I read comments from you about, say the 30" ACD, I am far more likely to respect what you have written because I know you're sitting there in front of a 30" ACD and have had actual experience with it. If I read comments from someone who has worked with various DSLR camera bodies and lenses, I am much more likely to accept what they say than I am to blindly follow the "recommendations" of someone who has not shot with a DSLR nor really worked with photography in a professional way.

Glenn is a remarkably mature young person (and I could also name a few others who fall into this same category regardless of their chronological age) but right now there are going to be limitations placed on him because of that. Hey, in a few years from now, though, those limitations will be lessened and I know we'll be seeing/hearing great things.....

AvSRoCkCO1067

macrumors 65816
Sep 6, 2005
CO
I like your website :) - I'll be checking back occasionally...

I'm a photographer (no, not a professional by any means) - I like my MacBook Pro + 20.1" Viewsonic LCD Widescreen for all the work I do (which, admittedly, isn't much).

beavo451

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2006
iGary said:

I just wrote a 1,500 word article about the Coast Guard's 41-foot Utility Boat, and I got most of my information from the boat's "operator" manual and interviews. Does that mean I plagiarized? I've never piloted or used a 41 UTB in my life, but evidently I can write an informative article about it, even though I don't have what you call "experience."

It's called research. What do you think newspaper reporters that know nothing about a subject do? They research. Glenn researched this and wrote about what he found out.

You're snotty, and the basis of your argument is "he's only 14." Grow up.

Yes it is research, but your report on the boat is just an informative research paper, not an article on what boat to buy and why correct?

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
beavo451 said:
Yes it is research, but your report on the boat is just an informative research paper, not an article on what boat to buy and why correct?

My point is we all read articles every day by people who have no idea what they are writing about...even at PC Magazine, MacWorld...

I just don't like the blanket write off Glenn got because he is 14, mainly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.